Sterilizing and/or Replacing equipment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Fredricr1

Sterilizing and/or Replacing equipment

Post by Fredricr1 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:29 am

1. So my cleaning regimen has always been just dawn dish soap and warm water on pillows, tube, semi-durable filter, and tank once a week (I replace the disposable filter at each washing). I am definitely not a germaphobe but I noticed mold growing on the silicon seal of my humidifier chamber (I had never washed it before). I started wondering if in addition to washing it more regularly, I should occasionally sterilize. I get the vibe around here that generally people don't feel it's necessary. BUT, I use Steramine tablets - a sanitizer for food-contact surfaces - to sterilize other equipment prone to growing nasties and am wondering if anyone here has an argument for or against it's use with CPAP equipment if used every so often? I am NOT asking if sterilizing is necessary. I am asking if Steramine in particular would be safe and effective in sterilizing CPAP equipment.

2. While reading sterilization threads here, I saw people saying they've been using the same tubing for YEARS. My CPAP supplier says to replace filters every 2 weeks, masks and tubes every 3 months, headgear and humidifier chamber every 6 months. I haven't kept to that schedule as it seems wasteful and I get that the more we replace stuff, the more money they make. BUT is there a beneficial middle ground? Filters get dirty so I'm guessing everyone replaces those, but is it really unnecessary to wait to replace the other things until visibly damaged?

Thanks for your thoughtful replies.

Fred

nana of 3

Re: Sterilizing and/or Replacing equipment

Post by nana of 3 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:06 pm

of course your supplier tells you to replace equipment on a regular basis........ MORE BUCKS FOR HIM!!!!! I have been on the hose for 15 years....never have I followed their requests. I replace a mask when it is either stretched out or no longer does what it is supposed to do :wink: Nor do I wash my tank that often... if I see slime or that pink crud, THEN it gets a good wash and dry. I just keep filling it every night with distilled water, put on my mask and off to dreamland I go. I will wash the nose piece on my mask every day or so, but I don't need to replace it until it no longer retains its shape of just flat out doesn't work.
You are throwing your money out the door by listening to your supplier and making him/her richer. I shop around to get the best deal that I can for supplies and pay cash. Also... I don't change the filter until it looks dirty.... I just compare it to a clean one (if it doesn't look dirty, I don't change it).

Cheers
Nan

Resmed Airsence 10 autoset and Bleep Dreamport mask

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:13 pm

Fredricr1 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:29 am
is there a beneficial middle ground?
My middle ground is using an alcohol swab every morning to wipe down the parts of my mask that touch any part of my face. That's it.

You can set your own middle ground.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:50 pm

Fredricr1 wrote:
I am asking if Steramine in particular would be safe and effective in sterilizing CPAP equipment.
I know nothing about Steramine so can't answer that. I will say if you get a spray bottle of Peroxide from the Dollar store you can squirt that when you see this mold.
Fredricr1 wrote:
I am definitely not a germaphobe but I noticed mold growing on the silicon seal of my humidifier chamber (I had never washed it before).
Do you use Distilled Water? Even when cleaning? IMO if you do you won't see mold or slime.

Using tap water to clean leaves mineral deposits behind for bacteria to feed on.

Set your own middle ground.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:30 pm

Fredricr1 wrote:
I am NOT asking if sterilizing is necessary. I am asking if Steramine in particular would be safe and effective in sterilizing CPAP equipment.
If that's what you want to know, you can edit you subject line to reflect your real question, namely: "Is Steramine effctive in Sterilizing CPAP equipment?"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023