AirSense 11 and Flow Limits

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MaskedSleeper

AirSense 11 and Flow Limits

Post by MaskedSleeper » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:50 am

From my understanding, the fix for flow limitations is to add EPR. So if EPR is the fix, what is the reason for Resmed machines jacking up both the IPAP and EPAP pressures at the same time in response to flow limitations during the night? Wouldn't it make more sense for the machine to only add additional IPAP, or am I missing something here?

ozij

Re: AirSense 11 and Flow Limits

Post by ozij » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:35 pm

MaskedSleeper wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:50 am
From my understanding, the fix for flow limitations is to add EPR. So if EPR is the fix, what is the reason for Resmed machines jacking up both the IPAP and EPAP pressures at the same time in response to flow limitations during the night? Wouldn't it make more sense for the machine to only add additional IPAP, or am I missing something here?
EPR is not "the fix for flow limitations".
A change in EPR, up or down, helps some people.

True flow limitations (as identified in a sleeping person in the lab, with concurrent effect on either oxygenation or sleep) are treated with a raise in IPAP.

No ResMed Auto machine has the option (or the ability) to vary the IPAP - EPAP differential automatically. The difference between them stays constant. And it's sometimes doubtful whether its identification of flow limitations is valid.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:08 pm

MaskedSleeper wrote:
EPR is a DROP in pressure, so EPR, by itself, isn't what 'fixes' flow limitations.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:58 am

MaskedSleeper wrote:
From my understanding, the fix for flow limitations is to add EPR.
This is controversial. It seems to work for me. It can be seen in my OSCAR charts. But there are so many variables in sleep and sleep breathing that a firm conclusion is not possible. EPR seems not to help with FLs in many people.

MaskedSleeper

Post by MaskedSleeper » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:16 am

Thanks for the clarifications. Some sources I've read insist that EPR will reduce flow limits, yet since switching from a nasal to full face mask, mine seem to be almost identical with or without EPR. The only difference being I get a higher AHI with EPR on (both central and obstructive events).

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:18 am

My “fix” for flow limits is to try to fix what may be limiting my anatomical flow.

I have seen MY FL rise when I have a stuffy nose.

I use a menthol inhaler called Olbas and make sure the humidity is up on the machine. Between the two it is like stepping into a hot shower and opens up the nasal passages.

hth

(sorry I know it doesn’t address the issues with the machine but maybe it will help you)

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:12 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:18 am
I use a menthol inhaler called Olbas
It's good to hear that Olbas works for you. Others with minor congestion might want to try it based on your recommendation. A couple of points, there are other brands that are cheaper. Secondly, its ingredients (Menthol, oils of peppermint, cajeput and eucalyptol) are just herbal remedies with no real medicine.
lynninnj wrote:
make sure the humidity is up on the machine
High humidity causes nasal congestion in some people. Users need to do trial and error to find out what works for them in changing conditions.

lynninnj wrote:
what may be limiting my anatomical flow.
If by anatomical you mean what I think you mean, all OSA issues relate to improving airflow through the air passages.