external power source for camping with CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cjj62

external power source for camping with CPAP

Post by cjj62 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:08 pm

Does anyone use an external power source for their CPAP when they are camping? I am very confused reading recommendations on the net. So...what one do you use? Does it have to be designed for use with your particular CPAP? Once it is charged, do you just plug the CPAP into it, or does it need some sort of adapter?
Ideally, I would like one that costs under $500, if that is possible!

zonker

Re: external power source for camping with CPAP

Post by zonker » Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:23 am

cjj62 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:08 pm
Does anyone use an external power source for their CPAP when they are camping?
while waiting for a reply, may i suggest you put "camping batteries" in the forum search box?

you'll come up with a lot of hits!

good luck.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:14 am

cjj62 wrote:
Does anyone use an external power source for their CPAP when they are camping? I am very confused reading recommendations on the net. So...what one do you use? Does it have to be designed for use with your particular CPAP? Once it is charged, do you just plug the CPAP into it, or does it need some sort of adapter?
There are different CPAP machines with different voltages. Please complete your Equipment Profile - ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=equipment_info

You might also say more about your requirements. How many nights? Will you be able to recharge it each day? How far do you have to carry it to your tent?

Lane101

Post by Lane101 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:42 pm

cjj62 wrote:
I've used CPAP regularly when camping. Per above posts the equipment you need will vary based on your machine. For example can it run on 12 volts or a different voltage. Power requirements also vary with the pressure setting. In my case I've built a couple of power packs using lead-acid Half U1 size (around 12 pounds each) 12 volt 20 amp hour (16 amp hours of usable capacity) AGM batteries that can power my CPAPs easily for two nights each with power left over for charging cell phones. My Philips machines run directly on 12 volts and I don't use the humidifier when camping. Cost to build these battery packs was under $100 each so under $200 for four nights of capacity. With my 30 watt solar panel (during a sunny summer week) this set up covered me for a full week of camping. Also great as an in-home back up power option in case of power failure. Note that the AGM batteries are generally safe for indoor use. They do need to be replaced every 3-5 years, based on use, at around $45 each.

Again this works for me at my pressure settings with my machines that draw around 0.6 amps at 12v per hour. Higher pressure settings can double power requirements. Also if you need to convert 12v to another voltage more battery capacity will be needed for the same amount of use. Folks generally don't use the humidifier when camping as it can increase power needs 5 -10 fold. Finally the lithium ion options, while much more expensive, are better today than they were when I built these over five years ago.

I've posted details on what I built in other threads including one by CapnLoki that focuses on CPAP batteries.

P.S. If you do use an AGM battery make sure you connect to it safely with a fuse directly off the positive terminal and all bare metal covered by insulating material. I've seen Youtube videos of folks camping who just put an bare alligator clamp connector directly on the battery not realizing the short circuit/fire risk. A wrench dropped directly on the bare battery terminals will discharge it so fast that it can weld itself onto the battery. Also, since we are talking about direct current here, make sure you wiring is heavy enough to prevent significant voltage drop versus just enough to safely carry the needed current. Details in the earlier posts referenced above.

Jake00

Post by Jake00 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:08 pm

I've been using this with my airsense10 since '21 I can get about 5 nights if I shut off humidity and heat.
I love it except it doesnt work in below freezing weather.
Are there better options, I'm sure , but this one is pretty plug and play for what I do. (camping with cuub and boy scouts)
https://www.amazon.com/MAXOAK-Airsense- ... 6e4cdc8f10

cpvtnh

Post by cpvtnh » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:18 am

As mentioned above, it’s really good if you can get the same volatage from your backup power straight to the cpap. If your battery uses an inverter to get to 120v AC and then your CPAP plugs into that to convert it to DC again, a whole lot of power is lost in between.

I have an “Easylonger” lithium battery, seems to only be available on AMZ now, but with a cyber monday deal at the moment. It will feed directly to a few different voltages and comes with a direct cable for a few different cpap machines/brands.

I haven’t camped with it — mostly got it for power failures, which are common here. I tried it one night, and it was amazing. I charged it to 100%, slept with the Resmed Airsense 10 Auto with humidifier and heated hose turned off. In the morning it still read 100%! Obviously it was not really 100% but above the next bar on the capacity-level LED, so it was above 75%.

This battery is too big to go on a plane. If your camping involves flying, you have to consider airline limitations on battery capacity.

This battery is also a LiFeP04 chemistry, so it will theoretically last for longer, both in cycles and in years, than a straight Lithium Ion technology, with the trade off of slightly more weight and bulk.