Nose Masks vs Full face mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Marvin11747

Nose Masks vs Full face mask

Post by Marvin11747 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:08 pm

Hello. I am a newby and I have a new ResMed Air fit N20 mask. I'm somewhat of a mouth breather. I was provided with mask that goes over my nose. This mask is very comfortable but I was concerned I might need a full face mask. I tried the full face mask and I found the frame and headgear to be difficult to wear. So can a mouthbreather be ok with mask just under my nose?
Thank you! Marvin

ozij

Re: Nose Masks vs Full face mask

Post by ozij » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:55 pm

Try it.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:05 am

Try using it, and if the mask works for you, fine. I've heard of people being surprised that a nasal mask or a nasal pillows mask works for them. If it doesn't, before giving up there are various things that you can try, like tongue position training, mouth taping, and various other ideas for not breathing through your mouth. You can do some searching if you need to, lots of postings on that in this forum *smile*. But, as the other poster said, just try it and see what happens.

dorsy28

Post by dorsy28 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:42 pm

I just started therapy and chose the face masks due to my snoring and mouth breathing. I couldn't tolerate the pressure on the bridge of my nose, so I couldn't wear any type like that, so I switched to the nasal masks (Currently Airfit N30i). For a few days I constantly woke up due to my open mouth. I even tried tape (hated it). Oddly, my issues slowed and now completely stopped. I NEVER wake up with my mouth open. Possibly my brain is training me to keep it closed, or starting CPAP / great fit for me is actually solving the problem. My supplier was great, and gave me several different styles to try.

I'd say give it a try; I thought I was never going to find a fit, and I'm really happy with it.