Think I broke my Resmed Airsense 11

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Billymadison420

Think I broke my Resmed Airsense 11

Post by Billymadison420 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:33 am

Yep. It turned over last night and got super wet. At first the power came on but was giving me a 12 and 24 error code. Now the power comes on but the screen is blank. I am going to let it dry out. But I assume it's cooked?

I will call my DME on Monday. :oops:

Conrad

Re: Think I broke my Resmed Airsense 11

Post by Conrad » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:33 am

Doesn't sound good!

If you haven't already, unplug it and disassemble as much as you can and don't plug it back in till you're sure it's dry. Got any rice?
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:22 am

Billymadison420 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:33 am
Yep. It turned over last night and got super wet. At first the power came on but was giving me a 12 and 24 error code. Now the power comes on but the screen is blank. I am going to let it dry out. But I assume it's cooked?

Always allow anything with electronics to dry out before applying power if water gets spilled in it. Even if it takes days.

Yet another reason to have a spare cpap. Tho I thought models 10 & up were designed to be spill proof.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:54 am

Conrad wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:33 am
Got any rice?
^Urban myth.

Rice as a solution to water damage is merely an urban myth that gained much traction in the last few years.

Some self-help articles explain that rice is 'hygroscopic,' being a grain, but no scientific evidence supports this. They probably concluded this because of rice's semblance to silica gel, which extracts water. ...

You might wonder, "What's so bad about using rice for water damage?" A lot could go wrong.

Rice grains are tiny and can get into spaces and ports that already have moisture in them. With enough time, food and water in a small area can yield mold. And mold is never good anywhere, much less your laptop's motherboard or phone's panel. ...

Rice will, in fact, cause more harm than good. It can hold moisture in your device for longer and increase the likelihood of corrosion. Moreover, swelling grains can place pressure on delicate parts of the circuits in your device, thus rendering it inoperable.

Unless you're into moldy, blocked, and smelly ports on your device, don't bury it in rice if you drop it in water. There are better options; you'll see! ...

Full article: https://www.makeuseof.com/rice-doesnt-fix-water-damage/

Millstone50

Post by Millstone50 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:54 am

SleepGeek wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:22 am
Billymadison420 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:33 am

Always allow anything with electronics to dry out before applying power if water gets spilled in it. Even if it takes days.

Yet another reason to have a spare cpap. Tho I thought models 10 & up were designed to be spill proof.
having been inside many an Air10, you can definitely spill water on the housing and get it on the circuit board. The face of the unit where the LCD and button are, do have a gasket there.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:57 am

I hope your machine recovers. To prevent spills, I use a fleecy hose cover and safety-pin the cover to my bottom sheet. That way I can't tug on the hose and crash the machine to the ground.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:19 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:54 am
Conrad wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:33 am
Got any rice?
^Urban myth.

Rice as a solution to water damage is merely an urban myth that gained much traction in the last few years.

Some self-help articles explain that rice is 'hygroscopic,' being a grain, but no scientific evidence supports this. They probably concluded this because of rice's semblance to silica gel, which extracts water. ...

You might wonder, "What's so bad about using rice for water damage?" A lot could go wrong.

Rice grains are tiny and can get into spaces and ports that already have moisture in them. With enough time, food and water in a small area can yield mold. And mold is never good anywhere, much less your laptop's motherboard or phone's panel. ...

Rice will, in fact, cause more harm than good. It can hold moisture in your device for longer and increase the likelihood of corrosion. Moreover, swelling grains can place pressure on delicate parts of the circuits in your device, thus rendering it inoperable.

Unless you're into moldy, blocked, and smelly ports on your device, don't bury it in rice if you drop it in water. There are better options; you'll see! ...

Full article: https://www.makeuseof.com/rice-doesnt-fix-water-damage/
Seems that it depends on who you ask.

I worked in the electronics field for over 30 years, and I can tell you that if used right, rice can help dry out electronics.

Can Rice Soak Up Water?

Certainly, rice has the ability to absorb water due to its hygroscopic nature. Hygroscopicity is the ability of a substance to attract and absorb water molecules from the surrounding environment, making nearby objects drier and less humid.

Rice, like most grains, is hygroscopic, and thus can attract water molecules. However, unlike many other hygroscopic products, rice is not deliquescent, meaning it does not dissolve in the water it absorbs. Deliquescent materials keep absorbing water until they dissolve, and when they dissolve, they release all the water they have acquired back into the environment.

Conversely, when rice absorbs water, the attracted water molecules simply build upon the grains, and it does not liquefy. Interestingly, when rice is cooked, the grains expand because of the absorbed water.

Using Rice as a Moisture Absorber: Fact or Fiction?

Now that we have established that rice can absorb water, let’s explore whether it can be used as a moisture absorber. It’s important to note that the water absorbed by rice does not stay on the grains indefinitely. Rice can also lose water and make the surrounding objects more humid, a process known as water desorption.

This desorption process happens because water vapor always seeks pressure balance. Water molecules migrate from a high-pressure environment to a lower pressure environment. When rice is placed in a room, it will exchange water with the air until the vapor pressure in the air becomes equal to the vapor pressure in the rice grains.

Therefore, whether rice can be used as a moisture absorber depends on the humidity levels in the room where it’s placed. If the room is damp and has high humidity levels, then rice will absorb moisture and help reduce humidity. However, if the room is dry, putting rice in it might not be beneficial. If the rice has a high moisture content, it can release water vapor into the air and make the room more humid.

https://dampsolving.com/rice-absorb-moi ... ss%20humid.
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:23 am

Silica gel is better; and those little packets come with everything.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:14 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:23 am
Silica gel is better; and those little packets come with evrrything.
Not expensive to buy either. I use these to dry studio microphones that have absorbed moisture from the air. Reusable as well. Rice works,but not as well. Rice is good to put in salt shakers to keep the salt dry.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071D ... =UTF8&th=1

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:06 pm

Also good for drying my hearing aid when away from home.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:24 pm

Conrad wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:19 am
Seems that it depends on who you ask.
That article is no more hopeful for using rice as a desiccant than the first one referenced.