Severe Sleep Apnea Using Resmed Aircurve 10S BiPap Going to Ireland

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
half_a_cat

Severe Sleep Apnea Using Resmed Aircurve 10S BiPap Going to Ireland

Post by half_a_cat » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:41 am

Hi All,
Going overseas in a couple months for a few weeks and was wondering what kind of converter I may need while I'm in Ireland with the equipment I have amongst other questions. I've looked up the voltages multiple times, but also I feel like I max this thing out due to using the bilevel setting I assume, and can't come to a conclusion so please help! Also, wondering if it's a better idea to upgrade my machine (it's been awhile since I was initially diagnosed, I think 2017ish). I get through the night currently pretty ok/awesome, but am open to any and all advice from the community here :) The VAUTO version sounds pretty amazing, but I dont really know much since it's been awhile since I've bought a new machine. Any and all help or commentary is great. Let me know of any questions and I'll respond as quick as I can. Idk if this is relevant, but may provide some context on the severity of my apnea, but when I go camping with my machine I run out of most of the juice/life on a die-hard jumpstart battery a night (worst flex ever). Hope to hear any help/advice and thanks in advance!

Dog Slobber

Re: Severe Sleep Apnea Using Resmed Aircurve 10S BiPap Going to Ireland

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:18 am

you don't need to be concerned abut the voltage conversion. The power supply is capable of multiple input ranges. And no, you're not maxing the thing out.

What you need to do is find a physical converted that will accept your (US??) connecter and plug into an Irish one.

Google "power converter usa ireland", you'll find lots. Read the reviews. Some of them are pretty cheap.

rick blaine

Post by rick blaine » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:31 pm

Hi half_a_cat,

If I may, a word of caution about Ireland – by which I take you to mean the Republic of Ireland, or Eire, and not the bit in the top right corner which is still attached to the UK. A word of caution, and what precautions you can take to anticipate it.

Many of those with OSA in Eire have a more expensive time of it. Most of the people with sleep apnea in the old sod are forced to rent their equipment – at some cost.That is the only way they can get treated.

It is difficult and expensive to import CPAP equipment into the republic. For one thing, the administration makes it bureaucratically difficult. And for another, they whack a hefty import duty on any equipment you do manage to 'bring in'.

How it might concern you is if the customs officers ask you about your equipment and what you intend to do about it. For example, do you intend to sell it, and buy newer when you get home? You may need to prove you are exiting with the same equipment as you brought with you.

I suggest you bring several copies of all the relevant paperwork with you so you can prove the ownership of all the electric and electronic items you are carrying – and make sure said paperwork has individual numbers noted on it.

You don't want to be left short when some customs officer wanders off with the receipt sheet you just presented so he or she can consult with his or her superiors, but does not bring back when he or she returns to the customs barrier, and is suddenly too busy to go back for it, and will you now please move along ...

Otherwise, may the road rise up to meet you. :)

jdm5

Post by jdm5 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:16 pm

Recently travelled to both the Republic and Northern Ireland.

Did not have a single problem with anything. Customs folks just waved us through (of course YMMV). But if it’s a used machine I wouldn’t worry at all.

Power adapter - you want Type G, here is the one we used: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-TESSAN-C ... bXRm&psc=1

As stated these physically adapt the prongs, they don’t do any sort of voltage conversion. Your cpap will run on 120-240 so no issues (I used my Resmed Airsense 10 there). Do not blindly plug in anything else without confirming the device supports that voltage range.

Good luck with your travels - cannot say enough how much we enjoyed our trip there - the people are just amazingly friendly and so much to see/explore!

half_a_cat

Post by half_a_cat » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:08 am

Thank you everyone for your responses so far, I've been before, but not with this condition. Thanks for the insight and knowledge!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:18 pm

Six year old machine--don't gussy it up too much for travel.
Let it LOOK as old as it is.