Dry Mouth even with mouth tape

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SligoReef

Dry Mouth even with mouth tape

Post by SligoReef » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:45 pm

I use a Resmed 10 Airsense with a nose cushion type mask. I also tape my mouth to prevent mouth breathing. The tape I use (3m blue painters tape) works very well and doesn't come off except on very rare occasions. I also use the humidifier with with the setting on 3.

Over the last couple of months, despite the mouth tape, I have awoken in the middle of the night with a dry to very dry mouth. Don't understand how it can be happening since I tape up my mouth. Dry mouth is not a problem during the day so I doubt it is a medication causing it.

Anyone have a clue to why this would be happening?

Cecioboe

Re: Dry Mouth even with mouth tape

Post by Cecioboe » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:26 am

I've been having the same issue and can't figure it out either :?
CPAP since May 25, 2021
Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
N30 mask

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:14 pm

Try Xylimelts.

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:00 pm

The tape doesn't have to "come off" for that to happen. All it needs it a little looseness somewhere along the strip, and air will start blowing out and drying your mouth.
When you wake up with a dry mouth, and you think the tape is stuck firmly, try blowing air out through your mouth. Is nothing escaping?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:02 pm

I use mouth tape too, but sometimes air leaks out anyway. I don't know how to overcome the leaking, but most nights I don't show air leaking. My ahi is usually less than 1, so I don't worry about it too much.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

klv329

Post by klv329 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:37 am

Struggling with the same issue tonight. The cheeks expand and the mouth dries out with the circulating air, no need for a tape leak.

I'm going to try a different thumidity level, maybe auto setting for a higher humidity level, so it won't dry out as much. And get another cervical collar to help keep the jaw closed a bit more.

With more air conditioning use, this dry mouth has become a bit of a problem this hot summer. Hard to tell what night it will happen, though.

I had picked up a humidifier, too, but at 50% ambient humidity I probably shouldn't need one.