Airsense 10 is 8 years old, keep using it?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Chilehead

Airsense 10 is 8 years old, keep using it?

Post by Chilehead » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:19 am

My Airsense 10 is about 8 years old now. As far as I know, it's still working fine. I think. I've had no snoring reports from my wife, and my AHI is still low as reported by the machine.

As I'm on a high deductible health insurance plan, going through insurance doesn't help me at all unless I meet my deductible (which I never do.) I routinely replace the supplies, though probably not as much as recommended. Everything I've read says machines should be replaced after 5 years. The airsense 10 apap seems to have come down in price since I last checked ($639.00), so if I did decide to replace I'd probably just stick with that one as the airsense 11 doesn't appear to be much different.

Any reason I shouldn't just stick with what I have until it dies? I have a backup Z2 travel CPAP that I could use if my main machine died suddenly until it was replaced.

ChicagoGranny

Re: Airsense 10 is 8 years old, keep using it?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:31 am

Since you have a backup machine, you could decide to run your 10 until the wheels fall off. Just keep a check on your efficacy data and how you are feeling.

I would make sure to use the backup machine two to four times per year to make sure it is in good working condition.

Midwest_non_sleeper

Post by Midwest_non_sleeper » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:18 pm

How do you feel? Do you feel as if it is still working? If so, I wouldn't stop using it or get rid of it. The manufacturers say five years because that is likely the median point where parts begin to wear and/or break under normal usage, but there is no hard line in the sand saying that some machines can't go double that, or more.

Mine is at just over five years, and I have a brand new spare, but my 2003 Toyota also still runs like a champ, and I'm not planning on swapping it out until the wheels fall off of it. Same concept.

The important part is making sure that it is still providing effective therapy. As long as it is, carry on soldier.

Chilehead

Post by Chilehead » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:08 pm

The Airsense 10 was recently on sale for $399 at cpap.com ... I was debating buying one just to have as a backup. I didn't, as I think my 8+ year old machine is still working fine. Wonder if I should have. I'm cheap, as my high deductible insurance is crap!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:47 pm

Chilehead wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:08 pm
The Airsense 10 was recently on sale for $399 at cpap.com ... I was debating buying one just to have as a backup. I didn't, as I think my 8+ year old machine is still working fine. Wonder if I should have. I'm cheap, as my high deductible insurance is crap!
I can make you sick. :lol:

You missed their Black Friday sale - $208.

Chilehead

Post by Chilehead » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:50 pm

Really? I definitely would have bought then!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:59 pm

Chilehead wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:50 pm
Really? I definitely would have bought then!
Really, Rally. viewtopic/t187463/Airsense-10-AutoSet-o ... yn+goodman

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:25 pm

To be fair the 208 price was a mistake. Somehow or other the promo code was applied to another sale price and it shouldn't have been stacked promo codes. So the 208 only lasted one day until the mistake was found out and the 208 was no longer available.
Still yet...the 399 price is/was a very fair price. Elsewhere on the internet the price ranged from 450ish to 950 ish for the same model machine.

Today it is $ 599
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... t-humidair

But if you haven't signed up for emails...go ahead and sign up and watch your emails for new sales.
Keep watching especially around Christmas because I bet there will be more good sales and promo codes.

right now there is promo code STOCKUP23 .....be careful...there are exclusions. I just go this email today.
15% off all orders
20% off all orders over $99
25% off all orders over $199

The above AirSense 10 AutoSet Card to cloud machine seems to be excluded from the promo code though. Sorry.
I tried it to see if it would work but it won't work.

Though the AirSense 11 AutoSet is available with 25% off...so it is 741.75 now (down from 989). The PromoCode will work on this machine.

I do NOT know how long this promo code is good for or how long the sale will last....but historically when one sale/promo ends....it's not long before a new one starts.

So if now isn't a good time....just wait because another sale is around the corner.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Jake00

Post by Jake00 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:29 pm

ugh, just got my prescription.. now to wait for a sale

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:04 am

Chilehead wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:08 pm
Your 8 year old machine is not going to last forever.

Could last a week, could last another 8.

But you need to ask yourself, how dependant are you on using it every night? If it doesn't startup, oh let's say Dec 22, how well are you going to make out without the long Christmas weekend? And the fact that you're cheap, is actually more justification to buy before you need to.

Fuzzy74

Post by Fuzzy74 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:51 am

[/quote]

[/quote]

Reminds me of a maintenance supervisor I worked with. When something started acting up the question always was “how long will it keep running.?”. His standard answer was “we will know when it quits”

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:18 am

Yeah, sometimes the bad wheel squeaks or wobbles as a warning.
Sometimes it just drops off!

Chilehead

Post by Chilehead » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:49 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:04 am

But you need to ask yourself, how dependant are you on using it every night? If it doesn't startup, oh let's say Dec 22, how well are you going to make out without the long Christmas weekend?
I have my travel machine as a backup. My apnea is mild, probably lower than many who never get tested, and I'm not concerned with going a few nights without it.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:32 pm

Chilehead wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:49 am
I'm not concerned with going a few nights without it.
Have you ever gone a night without it? I wouldn't want you to get a miserable surprise.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:27 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:32 pm
Chilehead wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:49 am
I'm not concerned with going a few nights without it.
Have you ever gone a night without it? I wouldn't want you to get a miserable surprise.
My apnea as tested was mild, only 83.2 AHI. :lol: :roll: :wink:
I have occasionally gone a day without PAP, usually when we experienced a power failure. It is not a conscious choice but so far I have survived.