New BiPAP machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Terminus

New BiPAP machine

Post by Terminus » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:27 pm

First time posting on the forums. I am a longtime (10) year user of a Resmed S9 Cpap machine. Recently, I got the message that my motor life had been exceeded and I was prescribed a resmed aircurve 10 VAuto Bipap machine. My first night of trying it was not great. I felt like I couldn’t take full breaths. The pressure would be super low and then spike on inhale but drop drown mid inhale. Is this what a Bipap is? Anyway to make the inhale longer? Should I get a second opinion and try to get a regular cpap again?

zonker

Re: New BiPAP machine

Post by zonker » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:19 pm

Terminus wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:27 pm
First time posting on the forums. I am a longtime (10) year user of a Resmed S9 Cpap machine. Recently, I got the message that my motor life had been exceeded and I was prescribed a resmed aircurve 10 VAuto Bipap machine. My first night of trying it was not great. I felt like I couldn’t take full breaths. The pressure would be super low and then spike on inhale but drop drown mid inhale. Is this what a Bipap is? Anyway to make the inhale longer? Should I get a second opinion and try to get a regular cpap again?
welcome to the zoo!

the forum needs much more detailed info before it can do anything but guess. we aren't all the same so there will need to be individual tweaking to get where you want to go.

tell you what' read the following threads and follow the directions there.
viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

it talks about the software program oscar. note-you'll need an honest to god computer to run oscar. it isn't a phone app.

as an aside, you have a bilevel machine, not bipap. bipap is a philips machine. not being pedantic here. it really helps when searching online for stuff if you use the correct terms.

if you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. we've all been there.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Terminus

Post by Terminus » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:43 pm

Thanks for the response. I’ll try that out

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:45 pm

Terminus wrote:
Anyway to make the inhale longer?
There may be a way to tweak the inhale/exhale function depending on settings at the present time.
Use OSCAR and lets see exactly what is going on.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

GrumpyHere

Post by GrumpyHere » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:59 am

Terminus wrote:
I felt like I couldn’t take full breaths. The pressure would be super low and then spike on inhale but drop drown mid inhale. Is this what a Bipap is? Anyway to make the inhale longer?

If TiMax time expires before you finish inhaling, the machine will cycle from IPAP to EPAP.
Increasing TiMax will delay the transition of IPAP to EPAP in this instance.

If the machine is mistaking your slowing inhalation rate with exhaling, lowing the Cycle sensitivity will also delay the transition of IPAP to EPAP.

Explanation of Trigger/Cycle/TiMax/TiMin linked below

viewtopic.php?t=173578
ResMed Lumis Tx - VAuto mode

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:17 pm

Terminus wrote:
The pressure would be super low and then spike on inhale but drop drown mid inhale. Is this what a Bipap is?
A "BiPAP™" is a bilevel machine made by philips respironics,

You don't have a "bipap", (luckily for you). Regardless of all that, your machine certainly doesn't sound like it's programmed right.
Terminus wrote:
Anyway to make the inhale longer? Should I get a second opinion and try to get a regular cpap again?
Yes, as was mentioned, you can change the TiMax, I did.
Terminus wrote:
Should I get a second opinion and try to get a regular cpap again?
If you want to, or if it'd save you some money, but there's no *need* to do so, because the VAuto can be programmed to behave exactly like your old machine, (there were five different S9 'cpap' machines, which specific one did you have?

And yes, suggested, pop a SD card (any one will do, at long as it's at least 2gig) into your machine, and load some data into Oscar, and we'll be able to help you better

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.