ASV User: Need help with a troubling ongoing issue I cannot resolve

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
icipher

ASV User: Need help with a troubling ongoing issue I cannot resolve

Post by icipher » Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:55 am

I would like to seek advice from the forum regarding an issue that has been recurring intermittently throughout my years on therapy. Despite consulting my sleep doctor multiple times, we haven't been able to identify the cause. Here's some background information:

I have been a member of this forum for a long time and have been using ASV therapy since I turned 30, which was exactly 10 years ago.
Initially, I started experiencing episodes of waking up and gasping, which prompted me to undergo a sleep study.
The results of the study showed that I have mixed apnea, but predominantly idiopathic central apnea (meaning there is no known cause).
My AHI during the study was around 35, with oxygen levels dropping to the low 80% range.
Since starting the therapy, my treated AHI has consistently been less than 1.
I monitor my pulse and oxygen levels at night, and on average, my oxygen saturation is around 95%, with occasional dips to 89% for less than a minute. Most nights, it doesn't go below 90%.
Now, here's the problem I'm facing:

I continue to experience an issue, typically 1 or 2 nights a week, where I wake up within the first hour or two of sleep, feeling an intense need for oxygen.
My wife describes it as if I were someone who had been struggling to breathe underwater and finally surfaced.
During these episodes, my heart races due to an adrenaline rush, and I find myself hyperventilating.
To calm myself down, I usually sit up for several minutes before going back to bed.
Many nights, if it happens once, it tends to occur 2 or 3 more times shortly after falling asleep.
What's puzzling is that I don't usually notice any specific event triggering these episodes, and my oxygen reading remains normal.
I have attached a screenshot from last night when this happened. You'll see that I removed my mask for a few minutes afterward to regain control of my breathing. I checked my oximeter during that time and found no oxygen desaturation prior to the event.
I'm at a loss as to what could be causing these episodes. One hypothesis I have is that there may be some issue with carbon dioxide, or it could be related to being in a transitional state of sleep where the pressure from the machine is causing me to wake up in a panic. I'm unsure of what steps to take, and I'm concerned that the stress from these events could potentially lead to cardiac arrest.

My settings: Dreamstation ASV
Max pressure: 25
Min Epap: 8
Max Epap: 20
Min PS: 4
Max PS: 17
Bi Flex: 2
Breathe Rate: Auto

I would greatly appreciate any insights or hypotheses from the forum members regarding what might be happening, and if you have any recommendations for changes or actions I could consider. Thank you.
Last edited by icipher on Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoGranny

Re: Need help with a troubling ongoing issue I cannot resolve

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:52 pm

Edit your subject line to say ASV User: Unresolved Issue. ASV in the title helps with getting responses from the right people.

Miss Emerita

Re: ASV User: Need help with a troubling ongoing issue I cannot resolve

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:47 pm

The forum site has reached its attachment limit. Could you upload the screenshot to an image-hosting site like Imgur and provide a link?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

icipher

Post by icipher » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:27 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:47 pm
The forum site has reached its attachment limit. Could you upload the screenshot to an image-hosting site like Imgur and provide a link?
It's showing up for me, but here is the link: https://i.imgur.com/IO21H2y.png

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:19 pm

Oh! Now it’s showing up for me too.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:20 pm

Oh! Now it’s showing up for me too.