Central Sleep Apnea Unlikely?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
restoresleep

Central Sleep Apnea Unlikely?

Post by restoresleep » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:11 am

Got a dx of moderate OSA back in early 2021. Posted about it here at the time with a query about central apnea: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=181198&p=1374938#p1374938

My original sleep report is here: https://ibb.co/BcjNkCB

Advice at the time was that it was unlikely I had central sleep apnea. Recently buying a new machine and just dawned on me to check my overall stats on OSCAR. I have 793 days use, 99% compliance, and average 7hrs 58mins of use per night. I use the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet and F10 mask. The averages over this time from OSCAR:
  • AHI: 2.12
  • Obstructive Index: 0.36
  • Hypopnoea Index: 0.79
  • Unclassified Apnoea Index: 0.01
  • Clear Airway Index: 0.95
  • 95% Flow Limitation: 0.05
The CA's appear to be the most common type of event with 0.95 average. A zoomed in version of last night's OSCAR report on a CA event is here: https://ibb.co/bHLSLn1

I'm not 100% sure how to read this event in terms of what a 'real' central apnea looks like.

Given the above, is it likely I don't have central sleep apnea? If I had CSA, would CAs be expected to be much higher given I'm using a machine with only some bilevel capabilities vs. a 'proper' bilevel machine?

Julie

Re: Central Sleep Apnea Unlikely?

Post by Julie » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:20 am

Can you post Oscar results as per info and layout requested, but skip the calendar and pie chart. You may need to do it on Imgur.com and leave a link in this thread as the forum's space has been full lately.

restoresleep

Post by restoresleep » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:47 am

Julie wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:20 am
Can you post Oscar results as per info and layout requested, but skip the calendar and pie chart. You may need to do it on Imgur.com and leave a link in this thread as the forum's space has been full lately.
Oh sorry, may bad. Been awhile and forgot the basics.

OSCAR report is here: https://ibb.co/MkVfBk0

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:09 am

First of all it's not central sleep apnea as a diagnosis in just having an occasional "real" central apnea.
A few "real" central apneas is actually normal and doesn't mean "CSA" diagnosis criteria is met.
You would likely need at least 5 REAL asleep central apneas per hour average and yours is a long way from that and the one central flag you shared above isn't a "real" asleep apnea anyway. See that big gulp of air before the cessation of breathing ending up with a central flag??? We don't take big gulps of air right before we hold our breath while asleep.
That big gulp of air means you weren't sound asleep. It's a very brief arousal breath which lends the flagged central to be arousal related and not asleep related. Probably a hold your breath and turn over in bed central.

It's normal to have a few real centrals....like sleep stage transitional centrals as in sleep onset centrals.
It's normal to have a few "turn over in bed arousal centrals" as well.
Centrals seen don't necessarily equal a diagnosis of central sleep apnea or mixed apnea when people also have OSA.
Centrals aren't a problem unless numerous (at least 5 per hour average every night) or causing a problem like desats.

Even if every one of your not quite one per hour average centrals were the real deal (which they are not)...it simply isn't nearly numerous enough to warrant a central sleep apnea diagnosis.

So you don't have central sleep apnea.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

restoresleep

Post by restoresleep » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:49 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:09 am
So you don't have central sleep apnea.
Appreciate the reply. Great to get an understanding of this. Thanks.

The medical consultant dealing with my treatment mentioned wanting a second sleep study because of the number of centrals but I was similarly unsure of why overall.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:04 pm

restoresleep wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:49 pm
The medical consultant dealing with my treatment mentioned wanting a second sleep study because of the number of centrals but I was similarly unsure of why overall.
He has bills to pay.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:27 pm

Please check your private messages
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:32 pm

dataq1 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:27 pm
Please check your private messages
Not if you're smart.

this fool uses PMs to send bad advice because they know that they'll be ripped to shreds if they post it publicly.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.