EPR Results

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gebo

EPR Results

Post by gebo » Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:40 am

Been using CPAP for about 7 months. I've experimented with masks and all kinds of settings on my machine. My biggest battle has been dry mouth. No, really leather mouth. Moved from pillow masks to nasal masks. Started using tape and it really helped. The tape solved it.

Continue to watch YouTubes and decided, based on experts opinions, to turn off EPR. Over time the rails came off. My AHI was always under .8 but I couldn't take the dry mouth especially since it had been good. Took me several weeks to finally decide to turn my EPR back on to 3. I run a static pressure of 9. Lo and behold, the very first night I turned EPR back on my dry mouth disappeared. Unbelievable! I have gone the last 3 nights with EPR on and that solved my dry mouth. And check this out, I didn't use any mouth tape. My AHI was .4, .0, .5 the last three nights.

I realize a static pressure of 9 is on the low side for many of us and I know I can't make a general statement concerning the use of EPR. But I do know it works for me. You may be one of those in the minority where it really works.
2 Timothy 2:15

lazarus

Re: EPR Results

Post by lazarus » Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:39 am

gebo wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:40 am
those in the minority
It is my strongly held opinion that EPR works very, very well for the vast majority by far, despite the misguided railings against it by a very small (but loud) contingency of a few self-proclaimed "experts" online.

Comfort matters. EPR provides it without detriment to many, many PAP users. Are there a select few who get slightly better AHI and better sleep without it? Sure. A few. Same with APAP use. There are outliers for every mainstream rule of thumb, though. And I think that's no valid basis for the over-application of that fact.

When tape trials solve dry mouth, that means to me that mouth leak is likely the culprit. If EPR seems to help mouth leaks, it may be that the added comfort and lower pressure on exhale from EPR is playing a positive role.

Each of us is unique. Ramp is very helpful to many people, for example. I can't use it at all, though, since I need therapy pressure right away in order to fall asleep quickly, smoothly, and comfortably, myself. I'm glad I figured that out for myself. But I haven't used that as a basis for posting anti-ramp rants online in an attempt to get YouTube hits and subs.

AHI matters, but so does comfort, when it comes to optimal sleep with PAP. It's good that you were able to find what works best for you now and that you are able to keep an eye on things for getting your therapy the best it can possibly be in the future, too. Things can change over time, including our individual needs for achieving optimal therapy.
Last edited by lazarus on Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:20 pm

gebo wrote:
experts
people who can no longer learn

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:12 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:20 pm
gebo wrote:
experts
people who can no longer learn
Nice catch, CG!

Thirteen years of EPR has made me a happy froggie.

gebo

Post by gebo » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:56 pm

I’m hoping my post may help someone. When your mouth is stuck together like glued leather it makes you not wanna CPAP.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:21 pm

Gebo,

I'm sure what you posted will help people with a similar dry-mouth experience. It's good that you posted.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

Sissy63

Post by Sissy63 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:33 pm

I think I am one of those on wish EPR doesn't work. I have tried it several times and the result is I feel worse than ever. I don't have issues breathing against the pressure, so thankfully I don't need it. Mt sleep is very fragile, so I eliminate as many variables as possible.

I am glad it works for you though.

gebo

Post by gebo » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:51 pm

I agree. We are all different. I may be in the minority. We must search for what works for us. Start with the main stream and venture out. You can’t give up! :D