Tests For Shallow Breathing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cpaputah

Tests For Shallow Breathing

Post by cpaputah » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:25 pm

Hello. During a sleep endoscopy my ENT found extremely shallow breathing while I was sleeping. Regular PAP therapy for years was rarely sufficient. AVAPS helps a lot more, But I set up the device myself and it probably is not calibrated right. Are there any sleep studies, or other studies, that can diagnose this and fine-tune the adjustments on a noninvasive ventilator (AVAPS) ?

Are there any tests that can get to the bottom of why I have shallow breathing when I sleep? Are there any treatments other than PAP therapy/noninvasive ventilator therapy?

Do you know that he sleep medicine doctors who have experience with this situation? Thank you!

palerider

Re: Tests For Shallow Breathing

Post by palerider » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:52 pm

cpaputah wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:25 pm
Hello. During a sleep endoscopy my ENT found extremely shallow breathing while I was sleeping. Regular PAP therapy for years was rarely sufficient. AVAPS helps a lot more, But I set up the device myself and it probably is not calibrated right. Are there any sleep studies, or other studies, that can diagnose this and fine-tune the adjustments on a noninvasive ventilator (AVAPS) ?

Are there any tests that can get to the bottom of why I have shallow breathing when I sleep? Are there any treatments other than PAP therapy/noninvasive ventilator therapy?

Do you know that he sleep medicine doctors who have experience with this situation? Thank you!
everyone has 'shallow breathing' (compared to awake breathing) while sleeping.

What you've said so far tells us nothing, unfortunately..

What's your SpO₂ levels while sleeping? What makes you think you've got 'a problem'?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

cpaputah

Post by cpaputah » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:26 am

My ENT has done hundreds of sleep endoscopies and my breathing was the most shallow of any he has ever done. Also if I close my eyes (without sleeping) for 10 minutes I get a headache that can last for hours. I've noticed during these times my breathing becomes more shallow. Regular cpap or bipap doesn't give as much relief as AVAPS where I set the tidal volume to 700. But what is strange is a sleep study using oxygen and ASV my co2 was normal, suggesting no shallow breathing.

cpaputah

Post by cpaputah » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:46 am

Some days I'm fine and I have good energy all day. Other days I wake up with some brain fog and not a ton of energy, other days I'm fine until 5 pm and then run out of energy and have mild brain fog. I swear it's sleep. One thing that's weird is I traveled to the Maldives - a 12 hour time zone change - and when I returned the problems went away for 6 months. very strange.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:10 am

cpaputah wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:46 am
One thing that's weird is I traveled to the Maldives - a 12 hour time zone change - and when I returned the problems went away for 6 months.
Well, there you go. Just vacation in the Maldives every six months and your problem is solved. :D
cpaputah wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:25 pm
AVAPS helps a lot more, But I set up the device myself and it probably is not calibrated right.
You can get good help in this forum, but you need to post in this thread information from OSCAR (or SleepHQ for the less technically inclined). Instructions are in the links in my signature line.
First read: viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

Then get a free account: https://home.sleephq.com/

Post links in this thread for members to see and make recommendations.