When to service blower motor?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rob K

When to service blower motor?

Post by Rob K » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:14 pm

I've become quite partial to my Resmed machine, so much better than my old Philips System One. I want to make sure my Resmed continues on for many years and that it's available to me every night.

I've been searching the internet and the forum for some answers but haven't found them all yet. I have a Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto. 11,502 hours currently. I bought it used about 5 years ago. I'm wondering how long I can continue to use this machine. I'd hate to have a new machine sitting around that I don't need when can still be using the old one. Obviously the blower motor is going to be one of the first parts to fail. With any blower dust gets past the filters and eventually things get dirty inside which cause premature wear. With the recalls we are also now aware of potential breakdown of internal foam. It probably varies widely but was wondering what the average service life of a cpap blower is. I do electronic repair, haven't ever taken apart a cpap and wondering if the blower can be serviced. Maybe I should just open it up and look.

Starting to think about buying another Resmed machine. I haven't used my insurance very much for cpap equipment, it's been several years. Normally I just buy what I need because it's less than paying the deductible. What is the better machine Resmed 10 or 11? Looks like 10's are still available. Any problems with availability in recent months?

Pugsy

Re: When to service blower motor?

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:03 pm

You are using a bilevel machine? The AirCurve 10 VAuto....is that correct?
If that is correct...
At this point in time this question
Rob K wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:14 pm
What is the better machine Resmed 10 or 11?
is a moot point because there are no AirCurve 11 models available yet. As of this point in time the AirCurve 10 models are "better" simply because there are no AIrCurve 11 models out there.

It is unknown as to when ResMed will release the bilevel AirCurve 11 models....could be tomorrow...next week...next month...next year. ResMed simply won't share that information.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:10 pm

Your machine will probably last at least 20000 hours. Mine had over 21000 hours on it when my insurance replaced it. If you're worried about the motor quitting, pick up another used machine. I see them advertised on Facebook Marketplace quite often. I found my backup machine there a few years ago.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:17 pm

Note: the usual "schedule" of new model releases has been disrupted by the pandemic,
the panic around "recall-gate", and numerous other marketplace screw-ups.
We cannot even guess when and if things will get back to normal.
We can only hope that good companies like Resmed will be around when we need their products.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:28 pm

Rob K wrote:
I'm wondering how long I can continue to use this machine.
Till it quits, probably well past 20k hours.
Rob K wrote:
I'd hate to have a new machine sitting around that I don't need when can still be using the old one.
It's good practice to have a spare.
Rob K wrote:
With the recalls we are also now aware of potential breakdown of internal foam.
With Philips and their inadequate engineering. Not Resmed, There's nothing wrong with Resmed's foam, as long as you don't use ozone on the machine.
Rob K wrote:
wondering if the blower can be serviced. Maybe I should just open it up and look.
No, it can't be, but it can be replaced, you can get replacement blowers from aliexpress, and now even from Amazon. I swapped the blower on one a couple weeks ago cuz this is what I found inside viewtopic/t186712/Smoker-Dont-smoke-aro ... -CPAP.html (machine I bought off someone, I knew it was 'smoky' but holy cats!
Rob K wrote:
What is the better machine Resmed 10 or 11? Looks like 10's are still available. Any problems with availability in recent months?
Like Pugsy said, there is no Aircurve 11.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:03 pm

Thanks for the thorough responses. That pretty much answers everything. I actually don't need a bilevel machine. My old System One was hard to get used to and seemed to always work against me so I wanted to try a machine with more pressure relief. With guidance from the forum I purchased a used Resmed bilevel machine, that was a life changer. After doing so I realized I didn't need more pressure relief, I just needed a Resmed. Breathing with the Resmed is more natural, it seems to respond quicker and it works with me. My current settings are Ipap14, Epap7, PS3. Pressure never really goes above 12cm. So I guess I would compare the Airsense 10 & 11. I'll do some leg work and study those machines in comparison.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:19 pm

Rob K wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:03 pm
Thanks for the thorough responses. That pretty much answers everything. I actually don't need a bilevel machine. My old System One was hard to get used to and seemed to always work against me so I wanted to try a machine with more pressure relief. With guidance from the forum I purchased a used Resmed bilevel machine, that was a life changer. After doing so I realized I didn't need more pressure relief, I just needed a Resmed. Breathing with the Resmed is more natural, it seems to respond quicker and it works with me. My current settings are Ipap14, Epap7, PS3. Pressure never really goes above 12cm. So I guess I would compare the Airsense 10 & 11. I'll do some leg work and study those machines in comparison.
Yup, Resmeds have already alleviated apnea problems while philips machines are still sitting around with their proverbial thumb up their proverbial butt trying to figure out what their job is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzCCgNLya_g

When talking about bilevel pressures, to avoid confusing others, say "MaxIPAP 14, MinEPAP 7, PS3, because the only way you can have an IPAP of 14 and an EPAP of 7 is with a PS of 7.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:02 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:19 pm
When talking about bilevel pressures, to avoid confusing others, say "MaxIPAP 14, MinEPAP 7, PS3, because the only way you can have an IPAP of 14 and an EPAP of 7 is with a PS of 7.
I knew you would get me on that. That's what I get for being lazy and not typing it all out. :D

Just talked to my Healthpartners insurance and they said I would need to go the rent to own route. Was told to contact my DME to inquire about that.

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:00 pm

Palerider that video you posted says it all. So glad you all helped me make the switch to Resmed around 5 years ago.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:31 pm

Rob K wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:02 pm
palerider wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:19 pm
I knew you would get me on that. That's what I get for being lazy and not typing it all out. :D

Just talked to my Healthpartners insurance and they said I would need to go the rent to own route. Was told to contact my DME to inquire about that.
Check the price, you might come out cheaper just buying one outright.

I might end up with some 'refurbished' ones soon, because my workbench looks like this today:

All autosets.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:32 pm

Rob K wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:00 pm
Palerider that video you posted says it all. So glad you all helped me make the switch to Resmed around 5 years ago.
Glad I could help! Don't tell anybody though, it'd tarnish my reputation :)

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:44 pm

Decided I'm going to follow up and research the cost of a Resmed machine through insurance. Otherwise I'm probably looking to get a lightly used machine again. Also if the Resmed goes down at some point I could use the Z2 I just bought while I was fixing the Resmed or finding a replacement. I'm not real crazy about the Z2, it's very efficient and works fine for camping but nowhere near as nice as a full size Resmed for regular use.

Yaatri

Post by Yaatri » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:44 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:31 pm

I might end up with some 'refurbished' ones soon, because my workbench looks like this today:

All autosets.
In my first post here last year, I had wondered if the motor/blower could be replaced as My air curve 10 had become noisy. You or someone ese had mentioned that S9 and S10 use the same motors. I still have an S9 and still works. If I were sure of being able to swap the motors without causing damage to the housing, I would have tried it. The S10 now stands at 14330 hours. Instead, I decided to keep using the S10 until it died. I still have an S9 for a back up if the S10 dies, which it has not.

It turns out I have two S9s, with 3157 hours and 3487 hours. As I tavelled a lot, I had two units.

I saw the pictures of the filth on a smoker's until you had picked up. Did you consider using an ultra sonic cleaner? It would have removed the foreign matter (smoke particles) but not sure if it would do anything to stench. I had bought an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the carb on my motorbike.

How difficult is it to swap the motors? Now that I have two working S9s, I can try swapping the motors between one S9 and the S10. If I screw up, I would still have a working S9.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:47 am

Yaatri wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:44 pm
palerider wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:31 pm

All autosets.
In my first post here last year, I had wondered if the motor/blower could be replaced as My air curve 10 had become noisy. You or someone ese had mentioned that S9 and S10 use the same motors. I still have an S9 and still works. If I were sure of being able to swap the motors without causing damage to the housing, I would have tried it. The S10 now stands at 14330 hours. Instead, I decided to keep using the S10 until it died. I still have an S9 for a back up if the S10 dies, which it has not.

It turns out I have two S9s, with 3157 hours and 3487 hours. As I tavelled a lot, I had two units.

I saw the pictures of the filth on a smoker's until you had picked up. Did you consider using an ultra sonic cleaner? It would have removed the foreign matter (smoke particles) but not sure if it would do anything to stench. I had bought an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the carb on my motorbike.

How difficult is it to swap the motors? Now that I have two working S9s, I can try swapping the motors between one S9 and the S10. If I screw up, I would still have a working S9.
It's not difficult at all, the motors are exactly the same.

Here's how to open a S9, https://imgur.com/a/S0ojG tn my opinion, they're a little easier to open than a Air10 (not S10) but there are a couple of tricky bits, (called out in the above series).

I didn't consider an ultrasonic cleaner, because I can't get the motor apart, without cutting it open, and I'm not sure how to get it back together, maybe epoxy, maybe silicone rubber, not sure, maybe I'll try again. But you'd still have to clean the motor itself, and how to do that without destroying the lubrication in the bearings? Plus my ultrasonic cleaner isn't one of the 'good' ones, and I can buy several replacement turbine assemblies for what one of those would set me back.