Are my OA's related to the airway closure or to other cause?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Albatros

Are my OA's related to the airway closure or to other cause?

Post by Albatros » Sat May 13, 2023 1:23 am

I read an interesting thread on the forum, about real and fake OA's, that is to say, those linked to an airway closure and others linked to a movement in the bed or something else...

I would be interested in your decoding of the OA's of this night which seem to me difficult to read.

This OA looks a real one, even if the exit is a little bit strange.
Correct ?

This OA looks real.
Correct ?

This OA looks real, even if the flow rate before the OA is not very orthodox.
Correct ?

This OA is clearly good.
Correct ?

Thank you

Pugsy

Re: Are my OA's related to the airway closure or to other cause?

Post by Pugsy » Sat May 13, 2023 1:44 am

To my eye none of those look like real asleep breathing. Looks more like awake breathing to me.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Albatros

Post by Albatros » Sat May 13, 2023 11:13 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 1:44 am
To my eye none of those look like real asleep breathing. Looks more like awake breathing to me.
Thank you Pugsy,
the fact that my AO's are fakes, would be consistent with a situation where I am, very often, half awake, strugling and fidgeting in bed.

But, if this were generalized, it should lead me to two questions:
- in the end, what is worse: a real OA or a fake?
- does my case fall under the CPAP therapy?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat May 13, 2023 11:30 am

Albatros wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 11:13 am
in the end, what is worse: a real OA or a fake?
Well it depends. In terms of the airway actually closing off and affecting therapy itself then real asleep flagged events are worse.
In general awake/arousal flagged stuff doesn't matter in terms of therapy itself because if you aren't asleep then you are breathing on your own even if it is irregular or ugly breathing. BUT....the fact that you have so much awake/arousal breathing going on means that sleep quality itself (with or without optimal cpap therapy) isn't so great and sleep quality is important. If you don't sleep so great it doesn't really matter how good or bad the numbers might be. AHI of 0.0 and lots of awakenings and crappy sleep is going to mean feel like crap as well. The goal is to get good solid sleep and a nice low AHI and feel good as well. They all go together.
Albatros wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 11:13 am
does my case fall under the CPAP therapy?
Sorry but I don't understand the question.

On the images you shared I didn't see any evidence that the flagged events caused the poor sleep because you had crappy sleep prior to the flagging. If all your crappy sleep flagging showed up after a for real asleep flagged OA then we might blame the first OA being real and it caused arousals afterwards....I just don't see it here at least on the images you shared.

My best guess is you have crappy sleep from some spontaneous arousals (not related to any airway issues) but I have no way to know for sure and there's no way to identify what might have caused the spontaneous arousals.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Albatros

Post by Albatros » Mon May 15, 2023 7:33 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 11:30 am
My best guess is you have crappy sleep from some spontaneous arousals (not related to any airway issues) but I have no way to know for sure and there's no way to identify what might have caused the spontaneous arousals.
Your guess is correct.
I think that my sleep is is disturbed by a lot of micro/macro awakenings, probably due to a restless leg syndrome, that was detected during my sleep test.
This comes on top of my airway issues.

Who said that old age is a shipwreck... ?

Thank you