A couple of questions after reading "Hints from Forum Veterans" sticky

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleep2Dream

A couple of questions after reading "Hints from Forum Veterans" sticky

Post by Sleep2Dream » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:14 am

I just read through the "Hints from Forum Veterans" sticky. I have a couple of simple (I hope!) questions:

1) If I wake up with a mouth that feels glued closed or otherwise just dry, but my nose isn't bothered by dryness, can I assume that the dryness is due to mouth breathing and not humidifier issues? (I use the Airfit N30i nasal mask.) I should add that I'm aware that the humidifier definitely helps, because when I travel with my non-humidified Z2 Auto, the back-of-the-mouth dryness is a LOT worse.

2) If my AHI is below 1 or 2 and I feel reasonably rested, can I ignore the occasional mouth breathing, rather than try to fix it? (I tried a FF mask but didn't like it; same with taping my mouth shut; a foam cervical collar didn't seem to accomplish anything at all.)

3) If I can get it together enough when I wake up in the middle of the night with a dry mouth, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to note down the time, so I can compare it to my Oscar chart in the morning. I've noticed that my flagged OAs often correlate with a snore, which suggests to me that I open my mouth at that point. I'm assuming that the collapsing of my soft palate/throat causes the snore, the OA, and the opening of my mouth, and I'm trying to figure out which is the cart and which is the horse. Though, as per #2, above, maybe it doesn't matter?

My original sleep study, around 6 years ago, showed an AHI of 23. It is now almost always between 0 and 2.
Mask: ResMed N30i Nasal Cushion
Home Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Travel Machine: Z2 Auto

ChicagoGranny

Re: A couple of questions after reading "Hints from Forum Veterans" sticky

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:14 am

Sleep2Dream wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:14 am
can I assume that the dryness is due to mouth breathing
A very high probability that you are mouth-breathing. Just five or so minutes can cause a very dry mouth.
Sleep2Dream wrote:
I should add that I'm aware that the humidifier definitely helps,
The humidifiers are designed to keep the nasal passages from drying. Even a home machine cannot moisturize an open mouth.
Sleep2Dream wrote:
If my AHI is below 1 or 2 and I feel reasonably rested, can I ignore the occasional mouth breathing, rather than try to fix it?
That's up to you. Personally, I have no tolerance for mouth-breathing.

If you continue to mouth-breathe, you'll need a good oral hygiene program. Talk to your dentist.
Sleep2Dream wrote:
I'm assuming that the collapsing of my soft palate/throat causes the snore, the OA, and the opening of my mouth, and I'm trying to figure out which is the cart and which is the horse.
In humans, when the mouth opens, the lower jaw moves back slightly. This movement tends to crimp the airway and make sleep-breathing more difficult.

Do you have any nasal congestion? I always recommend that new CPAPers have an ENT visit. On the first visit, they will scope your nasal passages down to the vocal cords. You should discuss your CPAP process with the ENT.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:31 am

Sleep2Dream wrote:
2) If my AHI is below 1 or 2 and I feel reasonably rested, can I ignore the occasional mouth breathing
That's what I do...as long as any occasional and short lived mouth breathing doesn't wake me up during the night and I sleep as well as I can expect and I feel as I expect...I ignore any mouth breathing.
I learned a long time ago that, for myself, sometimes trying to fix a problem causes worse sleep than the problem is causing and I don't feel the need to sacrifice overall sleep to have a perfect flat 0.0 leak line.

This comes down to your own situation...which is worse for you...the mouth breathing or doing something extra to try to keep the mouth shut.

Let me be clear so there is no misunderstanding...I am NOT letting massive prolonged big excursions into large leak territory slide even if I do sleep through them.
Use some common sense folks.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:45 pm

You can ignore the occasional dry mouth, but be sure to maintain oral care.
Extractions are NO FUN--just been there today.
The bridge is going to break the bank.

Sleep2Dream

Post by Sleep2Dream » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:52 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:45 pm
You can ignore the occasional dry mouth, but be sure to maintain oral care.
Extractions are NO FUN--just been there today.
The bridge is going to break the bank.
Knock wood, but my teeth are one place I've had no trouble at all, before or since starting CPAP therapy 7 years ago.

I'm sorry you had to deal with an extraction. I have been there, though only once (unless you count wisdom-teeth removal) and not for a long time. No fun, indeed. You have my sympathy. Good luck with your healing!

As for mouth breathing, I'm not a natural mouth breather. When I'm awake, I find it hard to purposely switch between nose breathing and mouth breathing. I'm far more comfortable breathing through my nose. What I'd love to figure out is what might be causing me to mouth breathe while sleeping with my CPAP. Not knowing is frustrating!
Mask: ResMed N30i Nasal Cushion
Home Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Travel Machine: Z2 Auto

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:53 pm

Even more fun: I have to wear my full face mask tonight.
My p10 pillows blow air into my mouth through the socket.
Hopefully, it will close by morning.
I don't feel like a bone graft, unless Medicare will cover it.
Edit: the socket closed at about 10:30--hopeful now.