Is it worth moving from Resmed Autoset 10 to 11?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
audihere

Is it worth moving from Resmed Autoset 10 to 11?

Post by audihere » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:14 pm

Had my Resmed Airsense Autoset 10 for six years. Motor exceeded hours message on the screen for a long time now but still functions.

Is the 11 worth switching to? Does it have a better algorithm for determining pressure? Read that the reservoir might be on the small side?

Or, get another Airsense 10?

Thx!

Pugsy

Re: Is it worth moving from Resmed Autoset 10 to 11?

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:25 pm

audihere wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:14 pm
Read that the reservoir might be on the small side?
Where did you read that? Wasn't from the manufacturer's website and it isn't true.

Both the AirSense 10 models and the AirSense 11 models have water chambers that hold 380 ml of water.
audihere wrote:
Is the 11 worth switching to? Does it have a better algorithm for determining pressure?
I don't believe that the auto adjusting algorithm had any changes made to it.
Now they did change from the S8 to the S9 but none sense that we are aware of.

The AirSense 11 actually has 2 auto adjusting modes of operation along with fixed cpap mode. So 3 modes of operation.
You can read about it here.
https://media.resmed.com/sites/3/202106 ... ER-ENG.pdf

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

audihere

Post by audihere » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:51 pm

I guess the reviews I've been reading have been saying they run the chamber dry on the 11. Apparently the volume is the same though. I don't want to find that I'm running the 11 dry when I've only done that a handful of times on the 10 at the settings that are comfortable for me.

I was hoping they'd make some sort of algorithm breakthru, but maybe that's just a long shot of a wish. I sometimes wake up to an uncomfortably high pressure and power cycle my machine to get it to start over at the lower pressure.

Dzyan

Post by Dzyan » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:53 am

audihere wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:51 pm
I guess the reviews I've been reading have been saying they run the chamber dry on the 11. Apparently the volume is the same though. I don't want to find that I'm running the 11 dry when I've only done that a handful of times on the 10 at the settings that are comfortable for me.
When setting the humidifier to level 5, I have a little more than 100 ml of water left in the morning.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:56 am

Yes, but that is likely due as much to where you live (local conditions on any day) as it is to the reservoir. Plus every patient has different needs.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:55 am

audihere wrote:
Read that the reservoir might be on the small side?

Thx!
I got a AirSense 11 December 29. I was concerned because I had read that the reservoir would run dry and that it was difficult to take in/out (I have arthritis in my hands). I have found neither to be the case. I occasionally forget to wash/refill the reservoir in the morning and it will easily go the second night with probably enough water left to go a third, if I chose, just like my previous AirSense 10. And it is easy to get in and out.

The only POSSIBLE issue I could see with the reservoir is if you have a tremor (my husband does but doesn't use the humidifier). It angles downward a bit, so if you are unsteady, you could possibly spill. I just close it and fill through the hole on the end. The gaskets prevent leaks.

BTW, I got the 11 (and hubby just got one as well), because our DME no longer offers the 10.

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:57 am

I found this article by Eric Ott, last updated in January, to be helpful:

https://www.cpap.com/blog/airsense-11-review/

I went with the AS10 Card-to-Cloud, but it was a neck-and-neck race and a close call for me.
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:13 am

Both are Oscar-compatible. 8)

jsmit86

Post by jsmit86 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:42 pm

I had the Airsense 10 Autoset, and now I have the Airsense 11 Autoset.
Both are excellent machines.

I had great therapy from the 10, and the same results with the 11.
Currently most of the Airsense 10's available are the card-to-cloud version. There is no cellular modem.
If you don't care about that, the 10 is a great value, and generally considerably less expensive.

The Airsense 10 and 11 both have the same size humidifier, but the 11 is a little trickier to fill. When full, the water is at the level of the top edge on the side that slips into the machine. For some that is an issue. I have not seen any significant difference in water usage. I had an issue with my Airsense 10 with leaking water chambers. There is an issue affects SOME users where the seal around the edge along the bottom develops a leak. I suspect that something about my Airsense 10 machine may have caused that. (Perhaps uneven heating of the plate?) Not sure about that, and most users do not have that problem. My son has an Airsense 10, and never had that issue. The Airsense 11 has a different design on bottom of the water chamber. So far no issues with leaks.

If you use the ClimateLine heated hose, the Airsense 10 has the swivel on the back. That was a nice feature to allow the hose routing back to the bed. The Airsense 11 exits straight out the back. That's not a problem for me, but there is a bend in the hose due to the lack of a swivel.

The Airsense 10 has the Dial/Wheel here the Airsense 11 has a touch screen. Both work fine, but in my opinion the Airsense 10 was actually a bit easier to use.
Both units are rated the same for quietness. In my experience, the 11 is perhaps a little noisier under certain conditions. Not enough to be bothersome but under dead quiet at night, if I am awake, i have hear a bit more airflow depending on how my tube is routed. Again, this is a tiny difference. The Airsense 11 uses the same motor/blower as the Airsense Mini. That could be one of the variables in the sound levels, as could the lack of the swivel. (You will sometimes get more noise if the hose is bent as the air "rounds the bend" so to speak.

The Airsense 11 is a little bit smaller and only comes in white. It also has the for her algorithm built in. The Airsense 10 had a separate for her model

I would have been happy with either machine if the versions with the modem was available, and if I could have solved the water leak. I still have the 10 to use as a spare.

If you don't need the modem and if you have not had any issues with the water tubs, the Airsense 10 is still a great machine.

Hopefully this will give you a bit more detail about the differences.

Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset - Former Airsense 10 Autoset
Resmed Airtouch F20 Foam Mask
Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

earlvillestu

Post by earlvillestu » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:44 pm

I've used both the 10 and the 11. I'm currently using the 10, until I get around to sending the 11 out for repair. (I pulled the 11 off the shelf and killed the heating element.) There is no difference in the efficacy of the therapy, at least not for me. The major difference is in the interface, and that's strictly a matter of preference. In my mind, it's a toss-up.

JOinPA

Post by JOinPA » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:02 am

Like you, I had a 6-year-old AS10 running fine. AFAIK the only difference between the AS10 and AS11 is the size of the blower motor, the AS11 has the same blower motor as the AirMini. As has been mentioned the algo is still the same. No modem is no big deal now that I'm using Oscar. The MyAir reports are not very detailed at all, I quit using MyAir with the old modem AS10 I had once I got Oscar. My old AS10 is now in the closet as a backup for when the new one dies, I should be set for the next decade.

I bought a new AS10 because I loved my old one, and they've just dropped prices by about a third, but you better move fast at current prices. It has not been around long enough to evaluate blower motor life, but common sense says if you're generating the same pressures the larger motor will work less hard and probably last longer. I'd grab a new AS10 if it was me. But they won't last long, don't wait if you go that way.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:28 am

Small motors are commonly rated according to power consumption,
rather than output.
This could partially explain why the 11 is rated for higher altitude than the 10,
even though it uses a 65w power brick where the 10 used a 90w brick.
In other words, the newer models may very well be more efficient.
Sometimes going green can SAVE money!

amenite

Post by amenite » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:47 am

Interesting question, when I replaced my PRS machines on recall day almost 2 years ago I went for the Resmed Airsense 10 Auto "for her" model and I have found in the "for her" mode I get better results - lower pressure overall and feel pretty good in the morning, comparatively better rest, and with lower AHI and max pressures than without "for her" mode. Does the model 11 have that algorithm included? I went for this one originally since it seemed like more options would be better, and in this case they were.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:56 am

amenite wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:47 am
Interesting question, when I replaced my PRS machines on recall day almost 2 years ago I went for the Resmed Airsense 10 Auto "for her" model and I have found in the "for her" mode I get better results - lower pressure overall and feel pretty good in the morning, comparatively better rest, and with lower AHI and max pressures than without "for her" mode. Does the model 11 have that algorithm included? I went for this one originally since it seemed like more options would be better, and in this case they were.
Yes. The AirSense 11 AutoSet model has the "for Her" algorithm mode included..
So 3 modes of operation.
1..cpap mode
2..regular autoset auto adjusting mode
3..for Her auto adjusting mode

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:33 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:56 am
Yes. The AirSense 11 AutoSet model has the "for Her" algorithm mode included..
So 3 modes of operation.
1..cpap mode
2..regular autoset auto adjusting mode
3..for Her auto adjusting mode
Plus, the autoset mode has two settings:
"Autoset: Set to Standard or Soft.
If Soft is selected, patients will
receive gentler pressure rises
during therapy."

The water reservoir can be filled without opening the clamshell. Just take it out, hold it with the ports up, and pour water into the exhaust port until full to where the chamber changes size.