chinstrap shifts out of place

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
onward60

chinstrap shifts out of place

Post by onward60 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:05 am

I have tried different kinds of chinstraps, but can't seem to get them to stay in place. I have tried lying quietly during the day on my back for about an hour. No problem. But at night, when I am asleep the thing slides out of place. I must be moving around in my sleep and dislodging it. Then my mouth falls open. Then I wake up. Does this happen to other people? Have you solved it? Thanks.

pisco21

Re: chinstrap shifts out of place

Post by pisco21 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:28 pm

I am eternally on the hunt for the perfect chin strap. I have not yet found it... so far, what works best for me is a sports headband that goes UNDER my chin and then over the head. It's kind of what they call the SCUNCI method talked about here. I found a headband works well if it's wide enough to cover my under chin and over the cap of the head. it stays in place.

You might also try a soft cervical collar. I have learned that I also move around slightly during my sleep, and apparently I tuck my chin. This causes RERAs and sometimes hypopneas. If I wear the cervical collar it prevents that. But the collar alone is not enough to keep my chin from dropping... hence both.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:05 pm

And neither keeps your mouth/lips closed enough to keep air from leaving, so it might be an idea to try taping.

onward60

Post by onward60 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:40 pm

pisco21 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:28 pm
I am eternally on the hunt for the perfect chin strap. I have not yet found it... so far, what works best for me is a sports headband that goes UNDER my chin and then over the head. It's kind of what they call the SCUNCI method talked about here. I found a headband works well if it's wide enough to cover my under chin and over the cap of the head. it stays in place.

You might also try a soft cervical collar. I have learned that I also move around slightly during my sleep, and apparently I tuck my chin. This causes RERAs and sometimes hypopneas. If I wear the cervical collar it prevents that. But the collar alone is not enough to keep my chin from dropping... hence both.
Thank you. I did try a collar. I have no idea how people can sleep with those things. It tipped my head at an odd angle. It was painful.

I have a strap similar to that but it is also painful because of the pressure on my jaw. And does not stay in place.

I have a cap-like thing now. I can't remember the name. It is not painful but it does not stay in place. :(

onward60

Post by onward60 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:42 pm

Julie wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:05 pm
And neither keeps your mouth/lips closed enough to keep air from leaving, so it might be an idea to try taping.
Thank you. I tried various tapes, but cannot tolerate them. I have facial neuralgia. The tape pulling my upper lip downward is painful.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:29 pm

You might like to try this tape: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BJ ... =UTF8&th=1

It is very different from other tapes. It sticks well, but once it's on I don't feel it at all. It is easily removed. It can be put back on and removed many times. I can use the same piece for many days, so it's not as expensive as it would seem.

If you would like to try it but don't want to buy something that may not work for you because of your skin problem, PM me with your address and I will stick some to something, put it in an envelope, and mail it to you.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

onward60

Post by onward60 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:49 am

Deborah K. wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:29 pm
You might like to try this tape: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BJ ... =UTF8&th=1

It is very different from other tapes. It sticks well, but once it's on I don't feel it at all. It is easily removed. It can be put back on and removed many times. I can use the same piece for many days, so it's not as expensive as it would seem.

If you would like to try it but don't want to buy something that may not work for you because of your skin problem, PM me with your address and I will stick some to something, put it in an envelope, and mail it to you.
Thank you. but it's not a skin problem. It's a nerve problem from pulling, not sticking.