Traveling

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KTinTexas

Traveling

Post by KTinTexas » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:05 pm

What do you do when you travel if you can't afford a travel CPAP?

Wulfman...

Re: Traveling

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:23 pm

KTinTexas wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:05 pm
You either take your primary machine with you or try to find a lightly used duplicate of your primary machine and use it for your travel/backup machine. In my opinion, "Travel"(smaller) machines are a waste of money and a marketing scam.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

sauerkraut

Post by sauerkraut » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:38 pm

KTinTexas;
I travel with My AS11 Auto set it came with a padded travel bag with dividers about the size of a briefcase ..
Hope this helps .. Steve

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:01 pm

KTinTexas wrote:
i take my machine with me. my primary machine.

i'm fortunate in that i have plenty of spares on hand in case something happens to the machine while traveling.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:27 pm

I take my regular machine with me -- always as carry-on luggage. It doesn't count against your carry-on limit because it's a medical device.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:20 pm

I wouldn't spend money on a travel machine anyway. I've heard they can be noisy, the humidification system isn't always effective, and you STILL have to carry everything safely. Your main machine should have come in a travel bag that you should carry on with you that holds your machine, humidifier tank, hose, electric cords, and you might be able to squeeze your mask in the same bag (in the US, medical devices do not count as a carry on, so you can still have 2 other carry on items). Never check your machine in your luggage!

And don't try to think up excuses not to travel with your machine.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:53 am

Since you didn't say where you're going, please be aware that plugs in other countries may have different a configuration. The voltage and frequency might be different too, but you don't need to worry about that.

Remember to make a dedicated packing list for your CPAP. You would not want to forget a component and find you can't use the machine. Also, you need this list in case of a hospitalization or evacuation.

KTinTexas

Post by KTinTexas » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:51 am

Ireland. We're thinking of going to Ireland. And then France at some point.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:23 am

To avoid water damage in transit, empty the tank.
I stuff a paper towel inside.
Make a list of everything you will or might need before packing.
An extension cord or power strip--better to have and not need . . .

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:14 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:27 pm
I take my regular machine with me -- always as carry-on luggage. It doesn't count against your carry-on limit because it's a medical device.
True in the US, not always so internationally. I found out the hard way when I was told I had to check or consolidate my CPAP in Copenhagen. "Yes, madam, I see it is a medical device. You can carry on TWO items." I bought an AirMini the day after we got home. It fits (packed inside a softside lunchbox) in either my tote bag or backpack, whichever I am carrying that particular trip. Less than HALF the size of my Airsense 10 (now Airsense 11).

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

jsmit86

Post by jsmit86 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:02 pm

To quote another user:
"Travel"(smaller) machines are a waste of money and a marketing scam."

I will respectfully disagree. If you have the ability to travel with your full size machine, of course that is the best therapy, and generally the quietest option.
However... for some users, especially for users who are traveling light, with just a carry one, some travel machines are a great convenience.

When I started CPAP therapy, I knew that traveling with my full size machine would be a problem for ME.
At first I considered not using therapy during those nights, but after considering the dramatic difference in my health with therapy, I decided to purchase a travel unit. First a Z1 Auto, that was quickly exchanged for a Z2 during my trial period.

I have an HDM Z2 Auto unit. I find it provides very good therapy, not quite up to the level of my Airsense 10 or 11, but still very good.
(My AHIs with the Resmed units are typically less than 1.0, often 0.2 to 0.5 or so. With my Z2 Auto my AHIs have sometimes been around 1.2, although my last 3 day trip averaged 0.57, so still excellent.)

It is slightly noisier. It's not so loud that it bothers me, but there is some additional noise compared to the full size unit.
I actually used my Z2 for a few months a few years ago when my Airsense 10 failed. Slept fine.

The choice comes down to whether the convenience of being able to put the unit in your carry on bag and travel light is worth both the expense, and the trade offs mostly regarding noise, and lack of standard humidification. You can use the "HME" moisture exchangers with the travel units. I usually don't bother since a few nights without the humidity is not that big a problem for me. I do have some HME's for my trip next week to Las Vegas since it's so dry there.

The Z2 generally gets pretty good reviews. It is quieter than the original Z1, and does not suffer from the CMOS battery problem of the Z1. Basically the Z1 units were bricked when that battery went dead. The Z2 still will work if/when that battery goes out.

The other unit that gets decent reviews is the Resmed Air Mini.
My suggestion is that only you can decide if travel unit may be worth the expense and any trade-offs.
I also suggest that you see if you can purchase any travel unit with a trial period to see how it works for you.

Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset - Former Airsense 10 Autoset
Resmed Airtouch F20 Foam Mask
Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:53 pm

KTinTexas wrote:
They're all 'travel CPAPs', easily portable, well, the ones older tan 13 years are 'debatably' portable.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Slobdiddy

Post by Slobdiddy » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:32 pm

I'm new to this and just got an AirSense 11. Seems small enough to use on long haul flights and so I have just bought a battery to use with it. Comes with a nice travel case.

Starling

Post by Starling » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:55 am

I travel internationally a lot, most of the time with only cabin luggage. The Airsense 11 fits much better in my suitcase than my old DS1. Before buying the AS11 I was thinking about buying an AirMini for travel but there were none in stock. Now after nearly a year and approx 1 long haul per month and 4/5 domestic trips per month, I stick with my AS11!
I have also had no problem using it on the plane. For the hotel, an international adapter is all that is needed, the AS11 adapts well to all voltages / frequencies I have encountered.

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:49 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:23 am
Make a list of everything you will or might need before packing.
A good way to do this is to start a few nights before and write down everything you touch or use as you're getting ready.
chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:23 am
An extension cord or power strip--better to have and not need . . .
Definitely. I got a special travel power strip that lets me plug all my American devices into it, but the business end that plugs into the wall can be switched out to whatever plug will fit the outlet of the country I'm in.