Dreamstation 2 Performance - Good, Bad, No Different?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gator5000e

Dreamstation 2 Performance - Good, Bad, No Different?

Post by Gator5000e » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:15 am

I really thought there would be a sticky on this so sorry if this is a duplicate thread. Delete as necessary. I did see the 78 page thread on the recall but in the quick scanning of the thread I did not see a lot in there concerning the differences, if any, between the RM10 and the DS2.

Well, I just received the new DS2 to replace the DS1. But I have been using a ResMed 10 since all this started with the DS. So I was wondering if there is any reason to go to the DS2 as my main machine now or just stay with the ResMed and keep the DS2 as a backup. So if anyone has used both, any insight as the the pros and cons of both would be appreciated along with why you are sticking with one or the other.

Thanks in advance.

ChicagoGranny

Re: Dreamstation 2 Performance - Good, Bad, No Different?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:41 pm

Gator5000e wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:15 am
Well, I just received the new DS2 to replace the DS1. But I have been using a ResMed 10 since all this started with the DS. So I was wondering if there is any reason to go to the DS2 as my main machine now or just stay with the ResMed and keep the DS2 as a backup.
A caveat follows in the last paragraph.

Experiences vary. You have the two machines and can try them to see what your experience is.

The overwhelming majority of this forum's members think ResMed AutoSet machines have better algorithms and are overall better than Respironics machines.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:33 pm

Without commenting on any potential alogorithm or quality differences.

There is a huge advantage to having an identical backup device as your day-to-day device.

Same settings, spare supplies, swappable parts for trouble shooting, familiarity, OSCAR compatibility (you can use same profile).

Having said that, receive your DS 2, sell it. An unopened DS2 will likely sell for good value. Buy an Air10 from LSAT. You can also buy from other sources but LSAT is known for selling low-hour machines and has an unblemished reputation.

TheRealMacGyver

Post by TheRealMacGyver » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:50 am

I only have 3 nights in with my DS2 and like you have been using the Airsense 10. Everything seems the same, but my AHI numbers are higher so far with the DS2. I set it up basically the same as the As10, so not sure, but like I said I am only 3 nights in so not sure it means much. I planned on shelfing the AS10 as a backup, then using the DS2 for my main and keeping my second DS2 in my motorhome. (I had 2 recalled machines so I got 2 DS2’s.)

Gator5000e

Post by Gator5000e » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:20 pm

Thanks all for the great feedback. I think I will continue with the AS10 for the time being and keep the DS2 as my backup.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:25 pm

Went from a DS1 to a DS2 with the recall. Bought an AS10 Auto as a backup. Used the AS10 for a week or two to make sure all was functioning OK. The AHI's between the DS2 and AS10 were about the same. The AS10 seemed a bit more aggressive with the pressure and gave some issues with the FF mask blowing out which I readjusted to fix. Continuing with the DS2 as it does what it's supposed to and it's the machine my DME provides Medicare/insurance paid supplies for.

jtravel

Post by jtravel » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:35 am

System one user 6 years ago who switched to Resmed Autoset 10 about 3 years ago. AHI slightly better some nights with Resmed and I believe that is due to their auto algorithm being somewhat better than Philips. Autoset 10 quieter and nicer machine to use overall.
Received Dreamstation 2 as a recall replacement and I have been using that. AHI is basically the same with the same settings but I still feel the Autoset algorithm does a little better job and is still my prefered machine overall. I have also been testing the DS2 in Fixed pressure Cpap mode and find that seems to work better for me than Auto. In Auto the machine is always playing catch up reacting to events and raising or lowering the pressure based on the algorithm. I can get just as good results by using a fixed optimal pressure setting and have less mouth & mask Leaks and less pain from aerophagia.
aerophagia was becoming a real issue for me the last year.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:05 pm

I have no experience with Respironics machines.
I consider myself very fortunate.
I have had limited experience with some of their masks,
but the best ones were discontinued . . .