Replacement v Return Payment for Philips recalled CPAPs

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ejbpesca

Replacement v Return Payment for Philips recalled CPAPs

Post by ejbpesca » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:36 pm

I registered my System One CPAP with Philips by telephone conversation as part of the recall process. The rep told me it did not qualify for replacement due to 1. being off warranty and 2. older than its suggested service life of 5 years. I said that I want a replacement anyway. The rep told me to use the automated online Philips recall site to pursue a replacement.

I found at the recall site a statement the claims an out of warranty, past service of 5 years unit is not eligible for replacement. I entered my case number, it was recognized. The last step was to select either payment for return or replacement. I selected replacement. A message appeared that I would receive an email concerning the status of my claim.

It has been 5 days since the request for replacement was made via the online form for recall settlements. No email has come and a visit to the site gives no indication of the claim status. I do not agree with a replacement being denied for my unit, but I will not pursue this beyond a request unless there is third party recourse available.

Has anyone gotten replacement for a CPAP that is past the suggested 5 year service life? There are no new units of my model, but a refurbished one would be fine for replacement or a repair of mine. If the payment to return is substantial, that would be okay too, but the site does not give that amount. Does anyone know the amount paid for a return?

Thanks for any advice.

jas32

Re: Replacement v Return Payment for Philips recalled CPAPs

Post by jas32 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:47 pm

I had a old System One that got in 2011 and I used for 7 years until I replaced it with a Dreamstation 1. Eventually used it as my travel and backup unit. When Philips announced the recall, I found that it was one of the recalled units so I registered it online in September 2021. A few months ago (after over a year) I received a notice offering me $25 for my System One unit. I refused and opted for a replacement. After several back and forth communications (filling out a couple of forms and providing information from my sleep Dr,) they sent me a brand new Dreamstation 2 last month (Dec). It took 15 months to get replaced from filing the request.

Since System Ones are not being refurbished they will be replaced with DS1s or DS2s. I'm not sure how long is their replacement pipeline right now, hopefully it is a lot shorter when I was waiting for mine. I'd suggest follow up via telephone every so often and provide them with all the info they request (e.g. Contact info of your Sleep Dr, etc.).

Lane101

Post by Lane101 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:04 pm

ejbpesca wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:36 pm
I registered my System One CPAP with Philips by telephone conversation as part of the recall process. The rep told me it did not qualify for replacement due to 1. being off warranty and 2. older than its suggested service life of 5 years. I said that I want a replacement anyway. The rep told me to use the automated online Philips recall site to pursue a replacement.

I found at the recall site a statement the claims an out of warranty, past service of 5 years unit is not eligible for replacement. I entered my case number, it was recognized. The last step was to select either payment for return or replacement. I selected replacement. A message appeared that I would receive an email concerning the status of my claim.

It has been 5 days since the request for replacement was made via the online form for recall settlements. No email has come and a visit to the site gives no indication of the claim status. I do not agree with a replacement being denied for my unit, but I will not pursue this beyond a request unless there is third party recourse available.

Has anyone gotten replacement for a CPAP that is past the suggested 5 year service life? There are no new units of my model, but a refurbished one would be fine for replacement or a repair of mine. If the payment to return is substantial, that would be okay too, but the site does not give that amount. Does anyone know the amount paid for a return?

Thanks for any advice.
Sounds like this is the rep from your DME who is misrepresenting what the Philips recall covers. Basically your DME is refusing to handle older recalled units. You do need to go directly to the Philips recall site and register your unit. Note that you will eventually need to supply a valid prescription for it. Please post a link to the statement you found on the recall site as I've not seen anything like this dealing with Philips directly. Note that you should be able to enter your confirmation number or device serial number to review the status of your recall claim. FYI the Philips site states clearly that "Philips recalled the following devices made between 2009 and April 26, 2021" so that older machines are covered by the recall.

ejbpesca

Post by ejbpesca » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:26 am

Lane101 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:04 pm
ejbpesca wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:36 pm

Thanks for any advice.
Sounds like this is the rep from your DME who is misrepresenting what the Philips recall covers. Basically your DME is refusing to handle older recalled units. You do need to go directly to the Philips recall site and register your unit. Note that you will eventually need to supply a valid prescription for it. Please post a link to the statement you found on the recall site as I've not seen anything like this dealing with Philips directly. Note that you should be able to enter your confirmation number or device serial number to review the status of your recall claim. FYI the Philips site states clearly that "Philips recalled the following devices made between 2009 and April 26, 2021" so that older machines are covered by the recall.
I am dealing, and have only dealt directly with Philips concerning replacement of my System One CPAP.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:13 pm

Another nice person being tortured by a company that has
NO HEART.

jtravel

Post by jtravel » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:05 am

I registered my System one 560P June 2021 and have been playing the back and forth Game with Philips. Philips Keeps Changing what they want before they will send me a replacement.
They did state the system one is past the 5 year life figure and that they could not give me a replacement System one as they are no longer manufactured. They would be replaced with a DS1 or DS2 instead or I could select a small token payment. I selected replacement and faxed my prescription as requested. a few months latter they emailed that they need a prescription and want my doctors contact info so they could obtain it. Called them and provided all the info they wanted. 2 months latter and Doctor claims he has not been contacted by them to date. My Resmed 10 died a month ago and I have been using my system one nightly connected to Dream mapper. Received a email from recallprescriptions philips.com <respirtech.notification@zixmessagecenter.com> but when I used the link and registered for the secure Zix message account it does not show any messages for me to read. Checked the patient Portal and it still has the same message asking for Doctor and prescription Info. I will call the number provided and ask for a status update next week.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:18 pm

The reason they want to pay you $25 is so that you won't ever use the machine again and have grounds to sue them (I think you have to send it in to get the lousy 25 bucks). But it's my backup machine, and lives in my car trunk. You damn bet if we have wild fires here and have to evacuate quickly (I live in Santa Rosa, CA and have had to evacuate twice in the last 5 years, though thankfully not in the 10 or 15 minutes some of my friends had to avoid being burned to death. I will use it instead of going without CPAP. I used it 6 years and I'm still here. A few nights more aren't going to kill me, and until I can replace it with another backup, it's coming with me. Old and out of warranty or not, it's still more useful to me than $25.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

jtravel

Post by jtravel » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:38 am

I might be getting closer to having my System one replaced.
After jumping thru hoops several times already over the prescription The Portal has now changed for me this week and added a option to select a Auto Cpap with default values with no prescription required.
I also received a Phone message to call Philips Colorado and a Email for using their secured Zix message system. signed up for the Zix secure email but it did not have any secured email for me to view.
I tried calling a few times and was disconnect but the recording said they recorded my number and would call me within 48 hours. I was able to get thru today and like last time It Sounded like I was talking to a foreign Call Center agent. The gentleman asked me three different times during the conversation why i was calling. He said they needed to verify my basic information like name, address and email that has been previously verified several times already in the past. He did say they had received my prescription and I should receive a order update email within the next 48 to 72 hours.

Last edited by jtravel on Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:51 pm

Autoset is the proprietary name of a machine carried by Resmed.
Respironics can never give you an "Autoset".
Their auto machines are simply "auto". . .

jtravel

Post by jtravel » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:09 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:51 pm
Autoset is the proprietary name of a machine carried by Resmed.
Respironics can never give you an "Autoset".
Their auto machines are simply "auto". . .
Noted & updated to "Auto Cpap"