ResMed AirSense / AirCurve 10 Humidifier Chamber running dry in middle of the nght

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
FlynHokie

ResMed AirSense / AirCurve 10 Humidifier Chamber running dry in middle of the nght

Post by FlynHokie » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:47 am

Hey all. I've had the issue for the last 2 years of my AirSense 10 Humidifier chamber running dry in the middle of the night, especially in the middle of winter when humidity levels in the house are low. Last year, I started to design an auto-fill capability for the chamber to draw from a 1gal distilled water jug. It worked wonders as a float switch and valve siliconed into my humidifier, so last month, I get to designing a more permanent, reliable solution.

It's a 3d printed insert to hold a float switch in the chamber, with a selenoid driven water valve that gravity feeds water into your chamber when it gets low. No need to wake up in the night and refill your chamber.

Design allows for easy Daily cleaning of the chamber to prevent gunk buildup.

For those interested, a link to the design is at:

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/home/re ... -auto-fill

Open to comments or suggestions on how to improve the design. I think it will help out tons of people that hate waking up with dry-mouth due to an empty humidifier.
Attachments
3D Parts.png
3D Parts.png (306.44 KiB) Viewed 786 times
Installation Overview.jpg
Installation Overview.jpg (121.55 KiB) Viewed 786 times

Jlfinkels

Re: ResMed AirSense / AirCurve 10 Humidifier Chamber running dry in middle of the nght

Post by Jlfinkels » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:07 am

Looks like it was a fun project and quite an ingenious design. You may have a few patentable ideas there, so offering the designs for free is kind of you.

One small suggestion is to come up with a way to cover the top of the water storage to filter dust and keep critters out, but still allow air to enter the bottle. Maybe just cutting a hole in the cap for the tube would be enough, but having something a bit cooler would be interesting.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

FlynHokie

Re: ResMed AirSense / AirCurve 10 Humidifier Chamber running dry in middle of the nght

Post by FlynHokie » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:29 pm

Thanks Finkles. are you talking about he hole in the water jug? not much can get through that, but I am looking into printing a cap w/ a 'straw' to ensure the hose gets to the bottom of the jug, rather than having a flexible hose in the jug. That would keep dust out....

Cleaning is critical on somethign like this.....it's designed to easily detach and clean resevoir daily. if properly done, lasts quite some time. Easily printable to reprint for cheap for each new chamber, and just swap out the float switch when you get new chambers.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:35 pm

Seems like it would be a lot easier to just run a small room humidifier in the room.

FlynHokie

Post by FlynHokie » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:54 am

Oddly enough - I have a whole house humidifier and a small room humidifier. For some reason, the AirSense 10 just eats through water.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:03 am

FlynHokie wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:54 am
Oddly enough - I have a whole house humidifier and a small room humidifier. For some reason, the AirSense 10 just eats through water.
So what are your pressures used and what are your leak numbers?
What is the ambient humidity in your bedroom with your extra humidification from whole house and small room humidifier?

I can go 7 to 8 hours with humidity setting of 8 on my AirCurve 10 machine and still have a 1/4 to 1/3 full water chamber.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

PeaceLoveAndPizza

Post by PeaceLoveAndPizza » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:37 am

FlynHokie wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:29 pm
Thanks Finkles. are you talking about he hole in the water jug? not much can get through that, but I am looking into printing a cap w/ a 'straw' to ensure the hose gets to the bottom of the jug, rather than having a flexible hose in the jug. That would keep dust out....

Cleaning is critical on somethign like this.....it's designed to easily detach and clean resevoir daily. if properly done, lasts quite some time. Easily printable to reprint for cheap for each new chamber, and just swap out the float switch when you get new chambers.
Good thinking about the straw.

I'm going to give it a try, not because I have issues with using up the water, just because it will be fun and give me an excuse to play with a 3d printer.

-PLP

25YearsOnCPAP

Post by 25YearsOnCPAP » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:00 pm

I have had problems with water chamber going dry in middle of night for years. One reason I always insist on ResMed. Its chamber is 360ml. Phillips is only 300ml.

I live in very humid area. I need room dehumidifier in summer (room humidity 65%). In winter when central heat on, room humidity can drop to low 30% requiring room humidifier. Seems ambient humidity doesn't solve my empty water chamber. My pressures are high (18/14) but have been 23/18 in past. Just don't make water chamber large enough for high pressures.

Your ingenuity is great. My little dog always asks to go outside after 5 hours. So I refill chamber when I let him out.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:29 pm

25YearsOnCPAP wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:00 pm
One reason I always insist on ResMed. Its chamber is 360ml. Phillips is only 300ml.
No,
Resmed chamber holds 380ml.
Philips holds 325ml.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

25YearsOnCPAP

Post by 25YearsOnCPAP » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:31 pm

LOL. I was using ResMed 9 data. 380ml still not enough for high pressure.

Just found Fisher & Paykal makes an external humidifier you can add to any setup. HK150
https://youtu.be/-63cE4UYC2s

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:25 pm

I keep a spare jug of DW nearby.
When the tank runs dry, it is usually time to get my butt out of bed.
Otherwise, I yank the tank, and add more water.
Easy-peasy!

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:47 am

25YearsOnCPAP wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:31 pm
LOL. I was using ResMed 9 data. 380ml still not enough for high pressure.
Resmed hasn't changed the size of their tanks since the S9. I don't know what it was with the S8. S9, Air10, Air 11, all the same size.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.