An Unheard of ZERO AHI

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GearChange

An Unheard of ZERO AHI

Post by GearChange » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:37 am

An AHI of ZERO over a 7.5 hour sleeping session hooked up to a Philips Respironics ASV machine is unheard of, yet I am achieving it quite often these days, after 18 months of therapy. (I AVERAGE 2.5 EVERY NIGHT EXCEPT FOR WHEN i hit ZERO).

When I was first diagnosed with "severe Central Apnea" my recorded AHI in my first sleep study was over 58, so I have come a long way and it wasn't always easy to get used to sleeping while hooked up, but I have done it and if I can do it, so can YOU! Nowadays I can't even imagine going to bed without my machine.
Make it your 2023 resolution to stick with your therapy and hit an AHI of ZERO by the year end, even though an AHI below 5 is also excellent and is like a person without sleep apnea.
Good luck and all the best for the new year.
Last edited by GearChange on Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Even though I have had extensive experience with the use and functionality of several types of different PAP machines,no information in my posts should be put in practice unless cleared by your own medical practitioner first.

Miss Emerita

Re: An Unheard of ZERO AHI

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:55 am

Thanks so much for sharing your inspiring experience and great New Year's resolution!
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

james999

Post by james999 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:55 pm

Yeah, I have hit that magic "0" also only about 3 or 4 times during my now 26 months cpap use. Using Resmed Airsense 10 and the P10 pillows. I am wondering if it was legit? Now with your post I am beginning to think that it is. I normally hit under 1.0, but usually average in a week about .4 or .5. When I did my initial sleep survey, my AHI was 21!! didn't even know that I had sleep apnea or what it was (well, I had heard of it but never put it together for myself). It took a very smart doctor during the course of an annual physical exam to prescribe a sleep test for me (one of those disposable ones where it sends in the results wirelessly..given to me by the Veteran's Administration). They gave me my Resmed 10 about two weeks later. It has made all the difference. And, mind you, I was not diagnosed until I was 72 years old!! wish I would have known sooner, because it was just pure hell trying to sleep..and not even knowing what I had. Life goes on, but is better now, much better.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:34 pm

I get it maybe twice a year.
Still very gratifying.

earlvillestu

Post by earlvillestu » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:51 pm

When I wear the Sleep Noodle, which keeps me off my back, I get a fair number of 0.0 AHI nights. When I don't bother, I wind up on my back several times a night and stay up in the 0.4 to 1.0 range.

GearChange

Post by GearChange » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:28 am

Philips Respironics machines are not very forgiving as they monitor a lot of factors with each breath, so getting a Zero AHI is quite difficult with a Respironics.
I am glad to see other people getting Zero AHI though because this validates my results.
Good job everyone. Its not easy to get used to wearing this contraption but when you finally get used to it, there's no going back. I even have a spare one buy the couch for my naps🤣
Even though I have had extensive experience with the use and functionality of several types of different PAP machines,no information in my posts should be put in practice unless cleared by your own medical practitioner first.