Replacing Resmed Airfit F 20 mask cushion

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bobsk8

Replacing Resmed Airfit F 20 mask cushion

Post by bobsk8 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:46 am

I wonder how often users replace the silicon cushion in the F 20 mask. My Kaiser Therapist recommends every 30 days, but that seems excessive. I guess I shouldn't complain since they are paying for it, but it seems kind of wasteful to me.

LSAT

Re: Replacing Resmed Airfit F 20 mask cushion

Post by LSAT » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:55 am

That's ridiculous! They sell cushions..to them it's $$$$$$$$$$$$$. My silicone FF silicone cushion lasts 6-8 months. Replace when it no longer holds a seal, not according to a chart. (Often, the therapist is simply a salesperson). The foam AirTouch cushion will not last as long as the Silicone AirFit cushion.

DolmarKarl

Post by DolmarKarl » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:50 am

I use the F20 M and have used the foam one for about a year. I just changed it recently and actually the old one holds a better seal than the new one! Im guessing the foam stiffens up and forms to you face once you have the headgear situated to your everyday usage. I have tried both the foam and silicone. The silicone is less comfortable BUT is easier to clean and lasts a bit longer. I prefer the foam however due to the comfort and the fact that with insurance coverage they are so cheap to replace they feel expendable. I would say, with the foam, probably best to change every 6 months. Chunk it when it gets too dirty or loses a seal. The silicone ones will likely go a year or longer because you can just wipe them out with a baby wipe and are tough. The 30 day replacement someone mentioned here is a cash grab.....

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:49 pm

When my wife and I used the F20, we used would change cushions once a year. We probably could have gone longer, but we had plenty of extra cushions on hand.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

bobsk8

Post by bobsk8 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:31 pm

After I posted this thread, I called Resmed and asked them and they said the same as my insurance, 30 days for both the silicon and the foam FS 20. Go figure.

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:50 pm

Mine is only used a few times a week or so, but it is over two years old. Still works fine.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:52 pm

bobsk8 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:31 pm
After I posted this thread, I called Resmed and asked them and they said the same as my insurance, 30 days for both the silicon and the foam FS 20. Go figure.
They sell them $$$$$$$$$. They will also tell you to replace your machine after 5 years.....Your insurance didn't tell you to replace at 30 days...They said they would cover a new one at 30 days (if necessary). \Do whatever makes you comfortable.
Last edited by LSAT on Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:14 pm

bobsk8 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:31 pm
Because insurance will PAY for it after 30 days and by selling you unneded things, DMEs (and thus Resmed) make more money.

Greed, go figure.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ejbpesca

Post by ejbpesca » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:58 am

bobsk8 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:46 am
I wonder how often users replace the silicon cushion in the F 20 mask. My Kaiser Therapist recommends every 30 days, but that seems excessive. I guess I shouldn't complain since they are paying for it, but it seems kind of wasteful to me.
I must replace my F10 every 30 days. After 30 days it is shot. It loses its elasticity and no amount of tightening will get it to seal. With the new cushion I can loosen up the straps again. By week two I'm tightening them up trying to keep a seal on it.

ejbpesca

Post by ejbpesca » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:07 am

F 20 did not work out for me so it was back to the F10. I replace the F10 cushion every 30 days due to the silicone losing its elasticity. I have to tighten a mask up well to get it to seal. By week two I have to tighten up the headgear even more trying to keep a seal. With a new mask I loosen the straps back up. Cleaning up the mask does not make it last longer for me, nor restore the elasticity.

The F20 seemed to be a better mask but for the first time in years of cpap use, within 3 hours of the first night with an F20, I woke with a stinging rash where the mask touches my face. I don't understand that since it is just silicone like the F10...I guess.