airway closes much more often in reclined sleeping position

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fastandthecurious

airway closes much more often in reclined sleeping position

Post by fastandthecurious » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:07 pm

<t>Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for thoughts that you may have on this issue. This is my first post and I am brand new to the group. My apnea is primarily positional while sleeping on my back. I noticed recently that if I tried to nap in a recliner or any slightly reclining seat my airway would close, and continually wake me up. I am going to get a sleep study to get some real numbers to see if I will start cpap therapy. I just find that my apneas are at their worst when I am reclined on a bus, airplane or recliner when I am trying to sleep. Just as I am drifting to sleep I keep waking up from airway closure. It happens many times in a short nap from slight angles down to 40 degrees of recline. I find that I will often now just sleep on a towel folded over so I don't have any bend to my neck. I will wake up once or twice a night if I roll on my back, but a multitude of times falling asleep in a reclined postion. Its much worse in a reclined position. Has anyone experienced this or witnessed it on their cpap data? Who would i even consult about this? would an ent or a neurologist be more appropriate to consult with?

Okie bipap

Re: airway closes much more often in reclined sleeping position

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:31 pm

When you sleep reclined, your head tends to drop forward when you sleep. This can partially block your air way. I sleep in a reclined position because of severe arthritis of the spine. I use a firm, foam cervical collar to keep my head up when sleeping.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

jlsmithseven

Post by jlsmithseven » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:33 pm

fastandthecurious wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:07 pm
<t>Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for thoughts that you may have on this issue. This is my first post and I am brand new to the group. My apnea is primarily positional while sleeping on my back. I noticed recently that if I tried to nap in a recliner or any slightly reclining seat my airway would close, and continually wake me up. I am going to get a sleep study to get some real numbers to see if I will start cpap therapy. I just find that my apneas are at their worst when I am reclined on a bus, airplane or recliner when I am trying to sleep. Just as I am drifting to sleep I keep waking up from airway closure. It happens many times in a short nap from slight angles down to 40 degrees of recline. I find that I will often now just sleep on a towel folded over so I don't have any bend to my neck. I will wake up once or twice a night if I roll on my back, but a multitude of times falling asleep in a reclined postion. Its much worse in a reclined position. Has anyone experienced this or witnessed it on their cpap data? Who would i even consult about this? would an ent or a neurologist be more appropriate to consult with?
I have slightly the same issues. Try to sleep on my side because my airway collapses less, but get sore so I turn on my back and wake up sometimes or the pressure goes way up. I've been trying to just train my body to lay on my side longer each night. With a CPAP and full face mask though, sleeping on your back is possible I've done it. And when you're away you can get a travel CPAP so you don't have airway collapses.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:06 pm

fastandthecurious wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:07 pm
<t>Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for thoughts that you may have on this issue.

yup, it's fairly typical.

what you need to do is raise your minimum pressure to make your therapy more effective.

if you would post some charts from oscar, we could help you. pls see tips and such here-

viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

fastandthecurious

Post by fastandthecurious » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:08 pm

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate it!

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:06 am

Do get that sleep study!
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:26 pm

I despise recliners--for one, they never fit me.
And two--they are 100% gauche.
They are not even stylish enough to be in poor taste.

clownbell

Post by clownbell » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:03 pm

May I suggest reading the wiki on "positional apnea." It is a bit of work but will educate you.

AFAIK, sleeping on your right side is the preferred position. Not sure why it would matter right vs left.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask