Dump Your CPAP; Sniff Your Apnea Away

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Dump Your CPAP; Sniff Your Apnea Away

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:26 pm

WORLD’S FIRST CONTACTLESS SLEEP APNEA SOLUTION

The working method of the device is based on opening the respiratory tracts. Whenever it indicates signs of sleep apnea, it opens the airways and prevents sleep apnea.

This new Israeli medical development is based on one of the main discoveries of Prof. Sobel. Based on his research, humans smell while they are sleeping. When the brain indicates a new fragrance, it starts breathing through the nose. This instinctive reaction renews the respiration process.

One of the main advantages of the development is the fact that he renews the respiration process without disruption to the sleeping cycle. In this way, the device does not wake the patient and enables him better and continuous sleep. That includes the person that sleeps beside the patient.

https://www.appscent.com/
Last edited by ChicagoGranny on Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Dump Your CPAP; Sniff Your Way To Treatment

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:36 pm

I think I'll just sit back and watch the fun . . .
The hype is actually very well crafted--but I don't believe it for a minute!

lazarus

Re: Dump Your CPAP; Sniff Your Way To Treatment

Post by lazarus » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:38 pm

. . . the main discoveries of Prof. Sobel. Based on his research, humans smell while they are sleeping. . . .
I make it a point to take a shower before bed, myself.
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

SummerTime

Re: Dump Your CPAP; Sniff Your Apnea Away

Post by SummerTime » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:24 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:26 pm
WORLD’S FIRST CONTACTLESS SLEEP APNEA SOLUTION

The working method of the device is based on opening the respiratory tracts. Whenever it indicates signs of sleep apnea, it opens the airways and prevents sleep apnea.

This new Israeli medical development is based on one of the main discoveries of Prof. Sobel. Based on his research, humans smell while they are sleeping. When the brain indicates a new fragrance, it starts breathing through the nose. This instinctive reaction renews the respiration process.

One of the main advantages of the development is the fact that he renews the respiration process without disruption to the sleeping cycle. In this way, the device does not wake the patient and enables him better and continuous sleep. That includes the person that sleeps beside the patient.

https://www.appscent.com/
May not happen in my lifetime, but I definitely think people who have sleep apnea will be using this or something like it.
Resmed AirSense 10 Auto For Her
Masks: N30 - P10

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:30 pm

We can only hope that happens before too many poor souls are pushed
overboard into De-Nile.

VinnieBarbarino

Post by VinnieBarbarino » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:36 pm

Judging by the photo, I don't think that would fit up my nose. :cry:

Proud recipient of multiple Gold Badges from ResMed MyAir

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:20 am

I don’t understand the science behind how physiology for us lucky few requires us to use a CPAP, but from a research perspective the papers which were done in 2010 and 2016, are pretty good for what they meant to test. The premise is that a puff of odorant released at different intervals can help keep the airway open and deepen sleep during the REM and NREM.

I could not find any research on whether this impacted, positively or negatively, the AHI score of an individual with sleep apnea. The research they point to was specific to sleep quality. It is an interesting concept though, but it seems a bit presumptuous to sell it as a solution for apnea. It would be interesting to see some further research.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:30 am

Jlfinkels wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:20 am
I don’t understand the science behind how physiology for us lucky few requires us to use a CPAP, but from a research perspective the papers which were done in 2010 and 2016, are pretty good for what they meant to test. The premise is that a puff of odorant released at different intervals can help keep the airway open and deepen sleep during the REM and NREM.

I could not find any research on whether this impacted, positively or negatively, the AHI score of an individual with sleep apnea. The research they point to was specific to sleep quality. It is an interesting concept though, but it seems a bit presumptuous to sell it as a solution for apnea. It would be interesting to see some further research.
A healthy dose of skepticism. I commend you. I feel the same.

Wonder what happens when someone with a sinus infection or covid uses it (can’t smell or distinguish odors)? I’m super sensitive to smells and they usually make me disgusted and unable to sleep. (like that time the stinky laundry soap was used on the bed sheets.

Sounds bogus. jmho

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:43 am

lynninnj wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:30 am
Wonder what happens when someone with a sinus infection or covid uses it (can’t smell or distinguish odors)? I’m super sensitive to smells and they usually make me disgusted and unable to sleep. (like that time the stinky laundry soap was used on the bed sheets.
The product that is being sold has a sensor at the head of the bed that monitors breathing and when it “detects” an apnea it sends a message to the main unit, which then tells the sensor to release a smell. There is research from other sources that shows those with sleep apnea have a poor senses of smell during sleep, so until they publish test results with the product as being sold we have nothing empirical to review.

Fair play to them though for coming up with an interesting approach to treating sleep apnea. It will be interesting to hear from someone who has tried it.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:52 am

Truly effective treatment of airway-instability sleep issues requires the prevention of airway instability and certainly not merely waiting for actual closure to occur.
---

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:24 pm

lazarus wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:52 am
Truly effective treatment of airway-instability sleep issues requires the prevention of airway instability and certainly not merely waiting for actual closure to occur.
Where is your evidence? Does your evidence come from traditional studies on CPAP?

Traditional studies never looked at the sniffing reflex. Appscent claims the sniffing reflex can terminate an apnea without waking the patient.

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:42 pm

Does any researcher anywhere believe that only apneas disturb sleep? I think not.

Does any researcher anywhere think that "terminating" an apnea can retroactively prevent that apnea from having disturbed sleep? I think not.

Does any researcher anywhere think that sleep is only disturbed when a patient wakes up? I think not.

Stupid idea based on a complete misunderstanding of what SDB is and how it is treated. But some gullible people may invest in it and try it anyway, as is their right.

Decades of sleep research on sleep-breathing cannot simply be dismissed wholesale as "traditional studies on CPAP."

The science is still the science.

And having a quick way temporarily to fix the tracks after a train wreck is not the same thing as having a good way to prevent train wrecks.
---

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:05 pm

lazarus wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:42 pm
The science is still the science.
But you don't cite any science. Only emotional indignation that CPAP is the only solution.

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:11 pm

When I see a double-blind proving scents prevent airway instability and prevent sleep disturbances, I'll be interested. Until then I file it under fairy dust and rabbit's foot.

I think their unscientific claims stink.

Hey, just me.
---

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:15 pm

lazarus wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:11 pm
When I see a double-blind proving scents prevent airway instability and prevent sleep disturbances, I'll be interested. Until then I file it under fairy dust and rabbit's foot.

I think their unscientific claims stink.

Hey, just me.
Me, too!
Some of us are just not that gullible.
And, Granny; I thought you were smarter than that!