New CPAP user (and I have FEELINGS)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
denji

New CPAP user (and I have FEELINGS)

Post by denji » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:58 am

Okay so did the home sleep test, Severe apnea, one night had over 50 events per hour. Get in, get a machine faster than expected (and am SUPER excited about it). Used it for the first time last night and...

Now I feel my entire sinus, throat, and what I assume must be my airway and lungs? Like, my mind is now AWARE of them. When I take a breath, my sinus and throat feel... Minty. It's been about 8 hours since I woke up, and they still feel that way.

Is this normal?

jlsmithseven

Re: New CPAP user (and I have FEELINGS)

Post by jlsmithseven » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:59 am

If you just got into therapy with that many events, you will likely have many hurdles to overcome. I was diagnosed with only 11 events, while sleeping on my back (worst for apnea), and I probably have fewer than 5 events sleeping on side. My issue now is I always move around a lot so nothing has really worked, the Bleep products are the only ones that work.

You will just have to keep at it. They say the first month is the hardest. Any sort of big change like this is not going to be easy, but I can tell you it has 100% been worth it. Even on the bad nights, I still feel much better than I ever did.

Edit: I updated my avatar. This is what they expect and tell you. It's going to be great, just sleep normally.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:09 am

denji wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:58 am
When I take a breath, my sinus and throat feel... Minty.
... a previously unreported advantage of CPAP. Be happy.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:25 am

denji wrote:
Okay so did the home sleep test, Severe apnea, one night had over 50 events per hour. Get in, get a machine faster than expected (and am SUPER excited about it). Used it for the first time last night and...

Now I feel my entire sinus, throat, and what I assume must be my airway and lungs? Like, my mind is now AWARE of them. When I take a breath, my sinus and throat feel... Minty. It's been about 8 hours since I woke up, and they still feel that way.

Is this normal?
Do you have something scented in the room? like a glade plug in, candle, ointment or even cleaner for say a tabletop?

Normally when you walk in a room with a scented candle for example it’s dissipated. The cpap draws air from a small 1” x 2” roughly opening in the back and blows it at your nasal passages. I have stayed in motels where they used a cleaner in the bedside table that comes thru that opening straight to my nose like I am literally sniffing the table.

just a thought

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:23 am

denji wrote:

Is this normal?
It takes time to get used to the wee beastie, give yourself the time to do so. For folks to help they will need to know what machine, mask, pressure and humidity settings, EPR/PS, and any meds.

in the meantime…

1. Read this sticky - viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html
2. Read this sticky - viewtopic/t88983/Pugsys-PointersSleepyH ... Hints.html
3. If your machine is supported by OSCAR download it and put an SD card in your CPAP to collect detailed data
4. Update your profile to include your machine information

Once you have the data posted those knowledgeable in reading the OSCAR graphs can divine truth from the data and make recommendations. Without data all we can do is guess.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:17 pm

denji wrote:

Is this normal?

you've been sleeping without cpap for x number of years. your brain has gotten used to how that feels.

now, suddenly, you are hooked up to a machine! your brain is wondering what's going on. it's on high alert. it's noticing things that it's never thought of before!

now, i haven't ever read here of anyone going through what you are going through. but in the end, yeah i think it's fairly normal. i also predict it will pass once your brain get's used to it.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg