New CPAP User

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ARBatteiger

New CPAP User

Post by ARBatteiger » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:04 pm

Working with Pale Rider to test and adjust borrowed CPAP unit while I am waiting on mine to arrive. Severe sleep APNEA, sleep study AHI 33.7. Seems like 3 time is the charm various setup issues the first couple of nights. 3rd night numbers - 8 hours 16 minutes of sleep, .85 AHI

zonker

Re: New CPAP User

Post by zonker » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:38 pm

ARBatteiger wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:04 pm
Working with Pale Rider to test and adjust borrowed CPAP unit while I am waiting on mine to arrive. Severe sleep APNEA, sleep study AHI 33.7. Seems like 3 time is the charm various setup issues the first couple of nights. 3rd night numbers - 8 hours 16 minutes of sleep, .85 AHI

did you have a question?

anything the forum can do for you?

at any rate, good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:56 pm

ARBatteiger wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:04 pm
Well done!

How do you feel?

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

ARBatteiger

Post by ARBatteiger » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:40 pm

The first 2 nights I did not get much sleep. The first machine started making noise after a couple of hours. So not much good there. The 2nd machine kept beeping during the night. Turns a the flow leak alarm was turned on! So again not a good nights sleep. Got some measurements the first couple of nights. Rode some major pressure waves the first night 7-12 CM/H2O Not quite a severe the 2nd night. OSCAR says I am spending most of my time at about 10.8 or so. Setting up for 11 tonight. 2 solid nights sleep will be a new record for me. BIG BONUS as far as the wife is concerned NO SNORING the last couple of nights! In theory my new machine should be here either Monday or Tuesday. Local DME had a couple of resmed 11 autoset in stock. Got the script and documentation to them on Friday. I was told by the DME it take 1-2 days for Medicare approval.

ARBatteiger

Post by ARBatteiger » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:56 am

Made a slight adjust to increase pressure and got 7.2 hours of sleep with a .28 API. I think I found the sweet spot. Now to figure out how to keep my mouth shut at night. My wife is complaining about the air noise from my lips. No more snoring, just air noise. I have heard about the medical tape, but I cannot handle adhesives. They give me a rash after a couple of hours.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:01 am

ARBatteiger wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:56 am
Made a slight adjust to increase pressure and got 7.2 hours of sleep with a .28 API. I think I found the sweet spot. Now to figure out how to keep my mouth shut at night. My wife is complaining about the air noise from my lips. No more snoring, just air noise. I have heard about the medical tape, but I cannot handle adhesives. They give me a rash after a couple of hours.
Headband across mouth.

Maybe with cervical collar?

Worth a try. :wink:

JPB

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:02 am

viewtopic.php?p=1089718&f=1&t=112758&p= ... s#p1086296

Check out Jay's Scunci trick to help keep the mouth closed. See above

Maybe a gentle reminder like that would be enough to help keep the mouth shut.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ARBatteiger

Post by ARBatteiger » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:04 pm

I had neck surgery last December. I have a HARD neck collar. Very uncomfortable to sleep in. I had to spend about 6 weeks sleeping in the neck collar to allow the c6/c7 fusion to set. I have a custom mouth guard / snore guard on order but it take about 3-4 weeks to arrive. I will look at some of the other options to see what might work. Otherwise the CPAP seems to be doing its job. Pale RIder was a great resource for understanding the OSCAR software readouts. Last nights mask pressures stayed in a pretty narrow range.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:46 pm

A well fitting SOFT collar is all that is sometimes recommended.

Keeps the chin up and headband in place. :D

JPB

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:47 pm

Jim's "cervical" collar was probably a FOAM collar--
NOT the stiff one you had to wear after surgery.
They come in different widths and different density foam,
and can be bought without a prescription in most states.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:27 pm

My skin reacts to bandaids (and all kinds of other stuff), but I've had no problems with the adhesive in Somnifix strips. You might invest in a box of them and try one out somewhere on you skin other than your face to see how it goes.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:58 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:02 am
viewtopic.php?p=1089718&f=1&t=112758&p= ... s#p1086296

Check out Jay's Scunci trick to help keep the mouth closed. See above

Maybe a gentle reminder like that would be enough to help keep the mouth shut.
And this is why I suggested my friend make an account here and be active, Jay's scunchi idea had slipped my mind :)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.