overheating humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
1speechpick

overheating humidifier

Post by 1speechpick » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:57 am

Hi everyone! I've woken up several nights in a row to my humidifier tank being empty. Clearly my heating element is malfunctioning. I've changed the hose a couple times and that didn't. I turned the humidifier off and just left water in the tank but that isn't providing enough humidification. Did anyone have any luck with running a small humidifier by the air-intake? Thanks.
ResMed AirSense 10 For Her with humidifier and heated hose
Resmed Airfit N20

"The best view comes after the hardest climb"

lynninnj

Re: overheating humidifier

Post by lynninnj » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:09 am

With the heat on in the house now, the heat dries the house out and the machine creates more humidity, using more water.

Now I find the midway fill up line isn’t enough and I put it up to near max fill.

You might try that first.

You can also turn humidity down by increments rather than off to see if it’s manageable.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

1speechpick

Post by 1speechpick » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:15 am

lynninnj wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:09 am
With the heat on in the house now, the heat dries the house out and the machine creates more humidity, using more water.

Now I find the midway fill up line isn’t enough and I put it up to near max fill.

You might try that first.

You can also turn humidity down by increments rather than off to see if it’s manageable.
Thanks for your response. I've been filling to almost the max fill line. Heat has been on for a few weeks and still having problems. It just started the past few days.
Resmed Airfit N20

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:17 am

What are your pressures?

What is your leak rate?

What is the ambient humidity in your bedroom?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:18 am

1speechpick wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:57 am
Hi everyone! I've woken up several nights in a row to my humidifier tank being empty. Clearly my heating element is malfunctioning.
No, this is not clearly the reason. It *might* be the reason, but likely not.

As me move into colder and a drier season, more moisture will be drawn from the tank. Your water will be used up quicker even though the settings ae the same.
I've changed the hose a couple times and that didn't.
The hose will have negligible impact on water use, it comes after the humidification process.
I turned the humidifier off and just left water in the tank but that isn't providing enough humidification.
Why did you turn the humidifier off, instead of down? It's not an all or nothing setting. What was it set tom when it was used up?
Did anyone have any luck with running a small humidifier by the air-intake? Thanks.
A bedroom humidifier will help increasing the moisture and with more moisture in the air less water will be drawn from the CPAP's humidifier.

But there are other things to explore. Your settings and therapy.

1speechpick

Post by 1speechpick » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:24 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:17 am
What are your pressures?

What is your leak rate?

What is the ambient humidity in your bedroom?
Hi Pugsy:

Leak rate has ranged from 17-50% the past few nights, with the same results on the water emptying middle of the night. I've used CPAP for 2 years and have never had this problem, even in the winter. Ambient humidity is around 35% with room sleeping temp around 67 degrees. Pressure is 6.0
Resmed Airfit N20

1speechpick

Post by 1speechpick » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:26 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:18 am
1speechpick wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:57 am
Hi everyone! I've woken up several nights in a row to my humidifier tank being empty. Clearly my heating element is malfunctioning.
No, this is not clearly the reason. It *might* be the reason, but likely not.

As me move into colder and a drier season, more moisture will be drawn from the tank. Your water will be used up quicker even though the settings ae the same.
I've changed the hose a couple times and that didn't.
The hose will have negligible impact on water use, it comes after the humidification process.
I turned the humidifier off and just left water in the tank but that isn't providing enough humidification.
Why did you turn the humidifier off, instead of down? It's not an all or nothing setting. What was it set tom when it was used up?
Did anyone have any luck with running a small humidifier by the air-intake? Thanks.
A bedroom humidifier will help increasing the moisture and with more moisture in the air less water will be drawn from the CPAP's humidifier.

But there are other things to explore. Your settings and therapy.

Thanks for your response. Is the heating element used to heat the hose, or only the water?
Resmed Airfit N20

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:41 am

1speechpick wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:26 am
Thanks for your response. Is the heating element used to heat the hose, or only the water?
The heating element *in the cpap* is designed to heat the water in the tank. A heated hose has a second heating element within the hose itself, it's role is primarily to prevent rainout (vapour condensing back into liquid with the hose)