international trip - US Custom clearance

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
goro

Re: international trip - US Custom clearance

Post by goro » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:29 pm

goro wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:23 pm
ozij wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:10 pm
goro wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:56 pm
I talked with JPN custom directly. Then, they said I need to talk with JPN gov health department. Both of them react, "oh, CPAP." So, they know what I am talking about. According to them, if I bring the medical device prescribed by Dr, I have to get the permission in advance. You can see Q&A in application form. The example shows how to fill in for CPAP.
Maybe that's because you're a Japanese citizen, bringing a CPAP you bought in the US to Japan, and they want to make sure you're not importing it for other purposes (e.g. sell cheaply)? Some customs regulations are often there for taxation purposes. As in "you have to pay this and that tax for this object, and I don't care if you bought it for your personal / medical use when you were abroad. You still have to pay the tax! Unless you show an agreement from our own government to waive the tax"

I'm a not a US citizen. Travelled to the US with a CPAP I bought in my own country. Had my prescription along - I always do.
No problem with US customs, no need to register, announce, fill forms - nothing. I don't remember if I showed my Rx on arrival - this was years ago.
Unfortunately, Japanese citizenship does not matter. The funny thing is there is no Japanese manual how to fill in the application. JPN gov says all manual is English, but please read it and fill in... Then, JPN gov said their concern is to make sure the device does not cause the health issue.

I called Resmed branch office in Japan which homepage is provided by ChicagoGranny. Then, they say their info on their homepage is wrong and they will correct it. They say I have to submit the application and get the permission from JPN gov.
Oh, I forgot to say "thank you". My question was for US customs. Your info helps me.
For JPN, I am ok, I will do my best this time since I have time. I do not know for next time because I usually do business trip with short notice. If no time, no CPAP with me, it harms my health but JPN gov can not understand that logic.

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:56 pm

Have a nice trip -- and check to see if you can have your Japanese permission given for the specific serial number of your machine, so you can have as an ongoing, instead instead of a onetime document.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

goro

Post by goro » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:10 pm

ozij wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:56 pm
Have a nice trip -- and check to see if you can have your Japanese permission given for the specific serial number of your machine, so you can have as an ongoing, instead instead of a onetime document.
Oh, that is a good idea. I am happy to do such paper work to register my CPAP. I will ask them!
I just called Narita Customs. He said no tax because it is personal use. He said because of special medical device, the permission is required. (but I feel he knows that it is NOT special device.)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:16 am

goro wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:10 pm
just called Narita Customs. ... He said because of special medical device, the permission is required.
goro wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:29 pm
I do not know for next time because I usually do business trip with short notice.
Since you are going to fill out the form, here is what I would do. Take the form with me. Don't volunteer it to Japan Customs. If they ask for it, you will have it. I bet they don't ask for it. Let us know when you return.
goro wrote:
If no time, no CPAP with me, it harms my health but JPN gov can not understand that logic.
They use government logic. This is common to all countries. :wink:

Most frightening words: "We are from the government. We are here to help you." :lol:

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:57 am

Jlfinkels wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:49 pm
Nothing is needed. I've taken mine to a few countries in Europe, Asia, and Australia, with no issues in any country even with local puddle-jumper airlines.
I have had problems traveling in Europe with my CPAP. Within Europe, they do not always allow CPAP as a free (third) carryon if you already have a carryon and a personal item :shock: . I was told I had to consolidate down to TWO items, period, even though they understood my CPAP was a clearly labeled medical device! After that trip, I bought an AirMini to travel with. It fits in my purse or backpack.

That said, my husband has taken his CPAP THROUGH Japan, on his way to his final destination, with no issues. One trip his layover was long enough that he left the airport to meet a friend for lunch in Tokyo and came back through security with it just fine.

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:04 am

booksfan wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:57 am
One trip his layover was long enough that he left the airport to meet a friend for lunch in Tokyo and came back through security with it just fine.
Security is not the issue. If there is an issue, it will be with Customs.

goro

Post by goro » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:35 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:16 am
goro wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:10 pm
just called Narita Customs. ... He said because of special medical device, the permission is required.
goro wrote:
I do not know for next time because I usually do business trip with short notice.
Since you are going to fill out the form, here is what I would do. Take the form with me. Don't volunteer it to Japan Customs. If they ask for it, you will have it. I bet they don't ask for it. Let us know when you return.
goro wrote:
If no time, no CPAP with me, it harms my health but JPN gov can not understand that logic.
They use government logic. This is common to all countries. :wink:

Most frightening words: "We are from the government. We are here to help you." :lol:
I do not need to fill in the form at JPN Airport. What JPN gov. says, I need to submit the form and get the permission before I leave US. It takes 7 days to get the permission. I need to show the permission letter and the devise at JPN airport customs and they will check the content and number match. The JPN customs can/will NOT judge if the device does not harm health, that is a reason the permission issued by JPN health department in advance is required.

Or, are you asking me to go to customs but not saying I have the permission in advance and see their reaction? I won't do it. If I have the permission, I will follow the procedure. If no permission, then cross fingers or not to bring the device.

So officially, we need to get JPN gov permission in advance.
If no permission and the customs find it, I am not sure what happens. JPN customs says Dr. letter does not work, but this might be because I asked the question over the phone.

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:48 am

booksfan wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:57 am
I have had problems traveling in Europe with my CPAP. Within Europe, they do not always allow CPAP as a free (third) carryon if you already have a carryon and a personal item :shock: . I was told I had to consolidate down to TWO items, period, even though they understood my CPAP was a clearly labeled medical device! After that trip, I bought an AirMini to travel with. It fits in my purse or backpack.
That is a completely different topic as it is airline specific. The question was about what concerns are there about entering a country with a CPAP that may require paperwork or permission in advance.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:37 am

My suggestion is follow the requirements that the Japan gov't officials give you and dot all you i's and cross all your t's.

While I haven't ever been to Japan I have sent a cpap machine to someone who lived there and he had to jump a LOT of hurdles to get customs to release the machine to him. Many documents were needed one of which was a current RX from a doctor.

Japan has some very weird (to us anyway) requirements about a lot of things. It is what it is folks.

Do what they say and document everything you do and why you did it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

goro

Post by goro » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:00 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:37 am
My suggestion is follow the requirements that the Japan gov't officials give you and dot all you i's and cross all your t's.

While I haven't ever been to Japan I have sent a cpap machine to someone who lived there and he had to jump a LOT of hurdles to get customs to release the machine to him. Many documents were needed one of which was a current RX from a doctor.

Japan has some very weird (to us anyway) requirements about a lot of things. It is what it is folks.

Do what they say and document everything you do and why you did it.
Thank you. Yes, I will do.
Yes, it is a lot of work. For the application, the prescription issued within 6 months is required... I bought the machines more than 6 months ago, so I am asking if they can accept the original prescription or alternative doc. (Who buy CPAP so frequently...)
Yes, JPN has some weird requirement. Even Japanese in JPN who bought CPAP in JPN prescribed by JPN Dr, if they brought out to oversea, they need paper to bring back to JPN as the same procedure I am doing now. But they do not emphasize such rule, not posted in Japanese, so usually Japanese do not know, CPAP clinic in JPN neither know. I feel ridiculous.

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:53 am

I know it's anecdotal and I'm a big ugly American, but nobody said anything about my CPAP in the very obvious Resmed bag when I went through customs at Narita in 2021.

To be honest, I never thought to check or ask. My bad.

goro

Post by goro » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:44 am

loggerhead12 wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:53 am
I know it's anecdotal and I'm a big ugly American, but nobody said anything about my CPAP in the very obvious Resmed bag when I went through customs at Narita in 2021.

To be honest, I never thought to check or ask. My bad.
Me neither, I never thought anything before. The customs form which I filled in onboard asks "do you have any prohibit items" "do you have meet or plants" or something like it, then I just said No. Now, I am filling in the custom form in advance online, then there are notes beside the question. The note beside the question for meat or plant say there are limitation for cosmetic or medication. So, I read JPN gov site, it seems there are a lot of limitation. One of limitation is medical devise. Non prescribed medical device, their example is a massage chair, one product per person is ok without permission, the prescribed medical devise, the permission is required. So, logically, if CPAP is not prescribed, one set is OK. Because I clearly said I have dr. letter to them, then they strongly say the permission. JPN gov concerns more for prescribed device, and they think non-prescribed device is safer/ :shock:

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:59 pm

It makes sense to follow the rules to make sure there are no hitches. It would be miserable to have to be without your CPAP during the trip because of this bureaucratic process. Even if it turns out to be a non-issue, you'll sleep better (literally and figuratively) if you know that you have followed the rules. Go for it!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:09 pm

goro wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:35 am
The JPN customs can/will NOT judge if the device does not harm health, that is a reason the permission issued by JPN health department in advance is required.
I know in the past countries like JP & CN don't want products which are not made within their country sold or left behind. They also require you to get working papers if you are there to work.

I remember back in the 80s we would leave our tools in an airport locker in CN to make travel easier since they had a dislike for people not only working but bringing in tools made elsewhere.

I remember taking transportation to Tokyo airport and there was a checkpoint some 2-3 mi. before you get to any terminals where you had to exit your vehicle and show your papers and contents each piece of luggage.

NOTE: At this checkpoint was a tank with an machine gunner standing out the porthole. Since this was in the 80s I assumed this was to discourage hijackings so who know what process they have today.

I will say both countries treated Americans pretty good but it was also a pretty thorough checkpoint.

Oh and in JP they were wearing face masks in the 80s. When I asked why I was told if/when they had a cold etc. it is common courtesy to wear a face mask to protect others. There are lots of people very close together esp. in public transportation and stores, etc.

Safe Travels to you.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

goro

Post by goro » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:40 pm

My question was for US customs, though.

Here is more info for JPN. (I talked with JPN health department which issues the permission.)
- There is no register system. We need to get the permission for every entry.
- If no permission, CPAP will be kept at the customs. (Of course, it means if they find it.) To release CPAP, we have to submit the application and get the permission. It takes more than 7 days.
- The prescription needs to be less than 6 months old. If it is very old like 3, 4 years, it is invalid. Dr. letter may work as the supplemental document if prescription is not less than 6 months.