New member question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bobsk8

New member question

Post by bobsk8 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:43 am

Hi. I just got diagnosed with sleep Apnea and have been researching masks. I like the F20, and the therapist I saw at kaiser recommended the F20 AirTouch. I see that the replacement foam is $59 a month. That is over $700 a year for a piece of foam. I think I will get the Airfit instead, which is much cheaper. Does that make sense?

LSAT

Re: New member question

Post by LSAT » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:46 am

I think the AirFit is the more popular of the two...If you do not have Insurance, the cushions are often available on ebay, Amazon and even Craigslist.
Silicone cushions can last many months. The Airtouch cannot be washed because of the foam.

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:53 am

bobsk8 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:43 am
Hi. I just got diagnosed with sleep Apnea and have been researching masks. I like the F20, and the therapist I saw at kaiser recommended the F20 AirTouch. I see that the replacement foam is $59 a month. That is over $700 a year for a piece of foam. I think I will get the Airfit instead, which is much cheaper. Does that make sense?
First, welcome to the CPAP club. It is rather exclusive, few meet the entry requirements.

Second, don’t believe everything the sleep doc, CPAP devices manufacturers, and DME tell you. Replacement of CPAP gear is different for everyone. For example my Airfit F20 mask is over a year old, my P10 pillows and hose are about the same, my heated hose and water tank are about 2.5 years old, and so on.

Third, it is difficult to put a price on good sleep. You will learn as you go along like the rest of us.

Fourth, patience is key. Don’t expect immediate results as it takes time to find what works for you.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:47 am

As you start using your machine and mask, please come back any time with questions or problems. We'd love a chance to be of help.

A few tips:

* Fit your mask while you're hooked up to the machine and lying down in each of your preferred sleep positions. Don't over-tighten!

* Set the machine up outside your bedroom in a place where you can read, watch TV, or use your devices. Mask up and turn on the machine; leave it on for at least an hour while you do something mildly diverting. This helps you get used to the new experience.

* Ideally you would do that for several days before using the machine at night. Ask your respiratory technician whether it's OK to do that, given the requirements of minimum daily usage that you may have to meet.

* I'm a Kaiser patient too, and I was sent home for one week using a Philips Respironics machine that I hated. Then I got my "keeper" machine, which was a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset that felt a lot better to me. Make sure you understand what the deal is for you. There are some PR fans out there, but on this forum anyhow, the majority seems to prefer RM.

* Kaiser also sent me home with a pressure range of 4 (min) to 20 (max). At 4, I felt as though I couldn't breathe in enough air. I got in touch with the RT about this and she raised my minimum to 7 with no ramp. Much better. I now know I could have done that myself.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

bobsk8

Post by bobsk8 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:11 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:47 am
As you start using your machine and mask, please come back any time with questions or problems. We'd love a chance to be of help.

A few tips:

* Fit your mask while you're hooked up to the machine and lying down in each of your preferred sleep positions. Don't over-tighten!

* Set the machine up outside your bedroom in a place where you can read, watch TV, or use your devices. Mask up and turn on the machine; leave it on for at least an hour while you do something mildly diverting. This helps you get used to the new experience.

* Ideally you would do that for several days before using the machine at night. Ask your respiratory technician whether it's OK to do that, given the requirements of minimum daily usage that you may have to meet.

* I'm a Kaiser patient too, and I was sent home for one week using a Philips Respironics machine that I hated. Then I got my "keeper" machine, which was a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset that felt a lot better to me. Make sure you understand what the deal is for you. There are some PR fans out there, but on this forum anyhow, the majority seems to prefer RM.

* Kaiser also sent me home with a pressure range of 4 (min) to 20 (max). At 4, I felt as though I couldn't breathe in enough air. I got in touch with the RT about this and she raised my minimum to 7 with no ramp. Much better. I now know I could have done that myself.
My daughter has the Resmed 10, and she really likes it, so I am going to select either that or the ResMed 11. Have to read some reviews to see if the 11 is any better than the 10.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:11 pm

At least in my region (Northern California), Kaiser is ONLY using and prescribing ResMed machines now.

If you are on a Covered California plan, you don't have DME coverage with Kaiser, BUT you can get a discounted outright purchase price with Crapria, including a mask and hose so be sure to compare out of pocket costs. Just don't let them put your credit card on file.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:46 pm

LSAT wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:46 am
Silicone cushions can last many months. The Airtouch cannot be washed because of the foam.
If cared for gently (and maybe boiled now and then), silicone cushions can last for *years*.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:04 pm

palerider wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:46 pm
LSAT wrote:
If cared for gently (and maybe boiled now and then), silicone cushions can last for *years*.
Really?

Boiled for how long?

Please explain?

(no snark there)

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:48 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:04 pm
palerider wrote:
LSAT wrote:
Really?

Boiled for how long?

Please explain?

(no snark there)
Here's how you can answer your own question, and possibly others in the future:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... ling+stuff

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

latskogkatt

Post by latskogkatt » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:17 pm

palerider wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:48 pm
lynninnj wrote:
palerider wrote:
LSAT wrote:
Really?

Boiled for how long?

Please explain?

(no snark there)
Thanks for the links, Palerider! Boiling to restore makes sense, but without reading the prior conversations, I'd never have thought to add baking soda.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:30 pm

About the ResMed options:

ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset. Excellent machine.

ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her: Has everything the 10 Autoset has, plus a "smoothing" mode that may be especially helpful to women; it also is preferred by some men.

ResMed Airsense 11: Includes all the modes the 10 For Her has, along with a few other relatively minor changes from the 10. That said, some of the difference might be important for some people (e.g., shape of the water chamber, way the hose attaches to the machine, auto updates of the software).

You can google "ResMed Airsense 10 vs ResMed Airsense 11" to get more information. And one big consideration may be availability. Don't feel you missed out if you wind up quickly getting a nice new 10 Autoset.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

bobsk8

Post by bobsk8 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:48 pm

One more question, looks like I will be getting either the Resmed 10 or 11. Is ordering a heated hose a good idea, or not?

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:53 pm

bobsk8 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:48 pm
One more question, looks like I will be getting either the Resmed 10 or 11. Is ordering a heated hose a good idea, or not?
A heated hose allows you to experiment with one more set of comfort features, which can make a difference in learning how to sleep well with a mask on your nose.

In particular, heated hoses are the first thing that is suggested when someone is having a lot of problems with water condensing in the tube and their nose doesn't want the heated humidifier turned down.

Think of it this way: You can always turn a heated hose off, which turns it into an unheated hose. But you can't turn an unheated hose on,

I'd suggest ordering the heated hose. If you later find out that you prefer the hose to be turned off, when it's time to replace the tube, you can always order a cheaper, unheated hose.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:55 pm

Most seem to prefer a heated hose (my husband and I both do) but some prefer no heat. I don't like the feeling of cold air blowing up my nose.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:10 pm

latskogkatt wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:17 pm
palerider wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:48 pm
lynninnj wrote:
palerider wrote:
LSAT wrote:
Really?

Boiled for how long?

Please explain?

(no snark there)
Thanks for the links, Palerider! Boiling to restore makes sense, but without reading the prior conversations, I'd never have thought to add baking soda.
Same. Glad I read thru a bunch.

Thanks Pale Rider!

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.