Constant increasing leakage

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cpap.newbie

Constant increasing leakage

Post by cpap.newbie » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:47 pm

I'm new to CPAP therapy and I've been using my CPAP for a little over a month. A few weeks ago, I switched from using an Evora full face mask to the AirTouch F20 full face mask for comfort reasons. However, since using the AirTouch F20 mask, my nightly sleep report has been showing more and more leakage every night. It started at 14L/min, and now it's up to 24L/min. The leak has increased by about 2L/min every night. It is a new mask that I clean daily, so wear and tear is not the problem. I have tried tightening my mask more and tightening the mask as loose as possible. Nothing seems to work. The strangest part to me is that my nightly report also claims that my mask has a good seal, which is also true when I'm awake. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? My only thought is that my mask is too big, since the respiratory therapist gave me a medium rather than my correct size, which is small. They said that the small sized masks were really small and pinched people's nose, so they gave me the a medium instead. But even if it's a size issue I don't understand why the leak would increase night after night. Any help would be much appreciated!

SleepGeek

Re: Constant increasing leakage

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:25 pm

Tell your RT you want to try a small mask. Most suppliers will have an exchange policy.

Could you be mouth breathing? Moving in your sleep is common.

If you have an auto the pressure will increase during your sleep and stretch the straps more.
If you have a Resmed if should have a mask fit setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZp4wGPHrUk&t=248s
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:33 pm

cpap.newbie wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:47 pm
I'm new to CPAP therapy and I've been using my CPAP for a little over a month. A few weeks ago, I switched from using an Evora full face mask to the AirTouch F20 full face mask for comfort reasons. However, since using the AirTouch F20 mask, my nightly sleep report has been showing more and more leakage every night. It started at 14L/min, and now it's up to 24L/min. The leak has increased by about 2L/min every night. It is a new mask that I clean daily, so wear and tear is not the problem. I have tried tightening my mask more and tightening the mask as loose as possible. Nothing seems to work. The strangest part to me is that my nightly report also claims that my mask has a good seal, which is also true when I'm awake. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? My only thought is that my mask is too big, since the respiratory therapist gave me a medium rather than my correct size, which is small. They said that the small sized masks were really small and pinched people's nose, so they gave me the a medium instead. But even if it's a size issue I don't understand why the leak would increase night after night. Any help would be much appreciated!
welcome to the zoo!

where are you seeing the nightly report?

offhand, you can try watching youtube mask fitting videos. make sure to put your mask in with the search parameters. you may want to watch several to make sure you get the most information.

also, make sure you fit your mask while laying down. ones face structure changes from sitting up to laying down, so that could have some impact.

and just as an aside, it's not necessary to clean your mask daily. in fact, you may be doing more harm than good.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

clownbell

Post by clownbell » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:54 pm

@OP - I don't think you told us which machine you have. If it is a ResMed, the manufacturer says the machine can compensate for leaks up to 24lpm and still provide adequate therapy. Pugsy believes ResMed is conservative and she would probably lean more toward 30.

I notice that if my mask is old, it starts to leak in small amounts that increase over time.

And when it comes to masks, my experience is that sizing is not consistent between masks. In one model, I need a large; in another, medium works best.

May I suggest downloading OSCAR if you haven't yet, the posting your charts so that experts can offer guidance. See the wiki for instructions on the above.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:49 pm

cpap.newbie wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:47 pm
I'm new to CPAP therapy and I've been using my CPAP for a little over a month. A few weeks ago, I switched from using an Evora full face mask to the AirTouch F20 full face mask for comfort reasons. However, since using the AirTouch F20 mask, my nightly sleep report has been showing more and more leakage every night.
With a Full Face Mask, mouth breathing per se shouldn't be much of an issue.

I can imagine it being an issue if you're gradually sleeping deeper thanks to therapy, and you mouth is dropping open, affecting the seal.
When you fit you mask before sleep, do it lying down, and then see what happens to the seal when your let your mouth drop open. I found I could place my hybrid masks in a way that let my mouth drop open, without compromising the seal. I have no experience with an F20.

Are you cleaning the mask daily with the recommended types of soaps? Because that "daily-cleaning-worsening seal" sounds almost problematic.

Many of us can do with baby wipes (unscented) for both mask seal and face.

Of course, it's also possible that somewhere along the way, the mask or hose sprung a leak that's getting gradually worse.
If you still have the Evora, you could try it again for troubleshooting.
For hoses: fill with water and observe carefully.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023