Airsense 10 with 24V Battery

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
antjessop

Airsense 10 with 24V Battery

Post by antjessop » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I’ve search for the answer to this but can’t find it.

Anytime someone posts about using a battery with the AirSense 10 they always seems to mention the DC-DC converter.

Is there a reason why I can’t use a battery with a 24V DC out straight into the AirSense 10 instead of getting a DC-DC converter? I know it needs a special cable with 3.7V centre pin, but can’t this still be achieved without the need to convert from 12V?

Thanks in advance.

Dog Slobber

Re: Airsense 10 with 24V Battery

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:34 pm

The reason "Anytime someone posts about using a battery with the AirSense 10 they always seems to mention the DC-DC converter" is because most batteries provide 12V without a 3.7v center pin.

And, if you are able to provide 24v with a cable with a 3.7v centre pin, you don't need a DC-DC converter. Some battery solutions do just that. The Pilot-24 being one of them.

antjessop

Post by antjessop » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:09 am

Great, thank you! I just wondered if I was missing something. :)

bierhere

Post by bierhere » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:40 am

I've used the Pilot 24 as mentioned by the previous poster with both the Airsense 10 and AirMini and they provided the needed cables to connect directly, though my Pilot 24 did stop charging recently. I also have used DC converters for the Resmed S8/S9 and that solution also worked well. The DC to DC approach is a bit more flexible and will allow you to use a larger selection of batteries since generally more 12v is available, but lithium batteries like the Pilot 24 are certainly small, lightweight, and convenient. I think a lot of which is more appropriate will depend on your use case/goals. For instance, I took the Pilot 24/Co-Pilot on many international flights where weight/size needed to be appropriate. I was also using it as a battery backup since it could charge while being used. However, In the past, I used a large marine battery when I was going to a remote cabin without power but was transporting myself there by car so weight wasn't much of a concern, the bigger concern was the capacity of the battery and runtime.