Moved to Airsense 11 Autoset from Airsense 10 Autoset

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jsmit86

Moved to Airsense 11 Autoset from Airsense 10 Autoset

Post by jsmit86 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:12 am

I just changed to an Airsense 11 Autoset from my Airsense 10 Autoset. First I was mostly pleased with the Airsense 10 Autoset. My first unit developed a defect in the first year of operation where I would wake gasping for air. After an unsuccessful repair attempt, Resmed replaced it with a new unit.

For the most part it was great. I got some assistance posting Oscar to this forum, and made a couple of tweaks, got my AHI down to usually less than 0.5, with some nights at 0.0.

After about 2 years, I ran into having issues with the humidifier tubs leaking. I ended up replacing leaking tubs about 8 times in the last year, even going so far as to use the silicone sealer “fix” to extend the life a bit. After 3 total leak events, with 2 of them spilling water all over my nightstand, I concluded that even though the tubs have some spotty history of leaking, my experience was not in the range of normal. I have done nothing in the way of rough handling etc… that would cause the tubs to fail, so I concluded that perhaps the heater plate in the machine had gone wonky in some way that was creating this as a larger issue. I don’t call this out to knock the Airsense 10 Autoset in any way, just explaining my next action.

I looked at ordering a unit online, but also contacted the DME that works with my Respiratory Doctor.
He was able to work with my insurance, and covered the new Airsense 11 Autoset machine less my remaining deductible with a 20% copay. I also got a mask and 2 extra Airtouch F20 cushions since they were about 20% of the cost of purchasing online. The DME told be that he had some patients with some tub leaks, but not to the degree that I had experienced. I also had him review the date from the current SD card. He agreed that the therapy was dialed in, and he also was complementary regarding my experience getting advice from this board using Oscar.

My observations regarding the two machines. The therapy seems identical.
The Water Tub allegedly has not had leaking issues. The design is not great. It’s more a bit more difficult to remove due to no grip on the top. The new machine has Bluetooth so you can easily see the leak and AHI immediately without waiting for a my air update. The touch screen seems a bit more intuitive, but not a big deal either way. The new machine is slightly louder when standing right next to it, but once in the bed, I don’t notice any difference. The Airsense 11 series uses the same smaller motor that is in the Airsense Mini. The design like is supposedly identical, but time will tell.

My son has an Airsense 10 Autoset, he gets new tubs every 3 months or so from insurance, but he never had any issues. If not for the tub problems, I would not have needed a new machine. I have saved the old unit for a backup. I can go for a short time without humidity, but long term I need it.

My take is that if your Airsense 10 unit is working without issues, there is really no compelling reason to upgrade. Both units manage my apnea well.

Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset - Former Airsense 10 Autoset
Resmed Airtouch F20 Foam Mask
Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

zonker

Re: Moved to Airsense 11 Autoset from Airsense 10 Autoset

Post by zonker » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:01 am

jsmit86 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:12 am

My take is that if your Airsense 10 unit is working without issues, there is really no compelling reason to upgrade. Both units manage my apnea well.
thanks for the comparison! it's particularly good to know given the price difference currently on the two machines,
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:40 am

jsmit86 wrote:
I would say the same for the S9. When the AS10 was introduced, I quickly bought a low-hours S9 as a backup to my S9. Now that I have an AS10, I have a low-hours S9 as a backup. All three machines have the same AutoSet algorithm.

(I can't comment on the humidifiers since I don't use them.)

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:54 am

jsmit86 wrote:

My son has an Airsense 10 Autoset, he gets new tubs every 3 months or so from insurance, but he never had any issues. If not for the tub problems, I would not have needed a new machine. I have saved the old unit for a backup. I can go for a short time without humidity, but long term I need it.
For the most part, members here aren't experiencing the Air10 tank problems you've been experiencing. I'm on the second tank in 4 and a half years. I replaced my first one because I dropped it.

Given your son has never experienced the issue, the next couple tanks he changes out have him give them to you. Now should you ever need to use your Air10 backup, you will have a couple reliable tanks.

jsmit86

Post by jsmit86 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:03 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:54 am
jsmit86 wrote:

For the most part, members here aren't experiencing the Air10 tank problems you've been experiencing. I'm on the second tank in 4 and a half years. I replaced my first one because I dropped it.

Given your son has never experienced the issue, the next couple tanks he changes out have him give them to you. Now should you ever need to use your Air10 backup, you will have a couple reliable tanks.
That's a good idea regarding the spare. I agree that the problem to the degree that I have experienced it, is not common. There have been issues with tanks developing leaks by the seam, but not like what I have had.
My son mentioned that he heard something about some failure regarding the plate overheating possibly being the cause. That could be possible.

Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:12 pm

I have had to replace 3 water chambers on my AirCurve 10 machines.
The first 2 leaked due to user screw up.
First one I dropped on the hardwood floor and the second one the chamber just flew out of my hands and went flying across the room (long story) only to land on the hardwood floor again.

Last replacement....defective chamber is all I can come up with because after the first 2 accidents I have babied the water chambers and I know with absolute certainty that the last chamber I hadn't done anything to potentially damage it and it wasn't all that old either...maybe 3 months.
Sounded like what I was hearing from others...."it just up and leaked everywhere and I didn't do anything to hurt it"....
So I don't doubt people when they say it since I have experienced it myself.

It's been a couple of years since last replacement.

Given the number of AirSense/AirCurve 10 machines out there....I don't think that defective water chambers are all that common though.
Probably not much consolation though when someone has the failure and a big mess to clean up or even see damage on night table if wood gets damaged.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

RE144

Post by RE144 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:55 pm

I've thinking about the 11 but have not had any problems with my 10 autoset..... so this helps me to stay right where i am..

Thank You
ResMed Airsense 10 with heated humidifier
ResMed Air Touch F20

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:23 pm

Having the water tub run out of water while the humidifier is on will over heat the water tub. This can cause the seal leaks.

jsmit86

Post by jsmit86 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:04 pm

LSAT wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:23 pm
Having the water tub run out of water while the humidifier is on will over heat the water tub. This can cause the seal leaks.
I agree, but that never happened with mine. I would usually have about a third of the water left. The exception was when the tubs failed, and all of the water leaked out. That was a total of 3 times.

Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:12 pm

jsmit86 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:04 pm
LSAT wrote:
I agree, but that never happened with mine. I would usually have about a third of the water left. The exception was when the tubs failed, and all of the water leaked out. That was a total of 3 times.
Any chance you cleaned it in the dishwasher?
Distilled or tap water?
What was your cleaning routine like?
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:39 pm

No leaking chambers here, but I wish they were easier to get clean.
I hate those fuzzy floaters, that only respond to a capful of vodka.

jsmit86

Post by jsmit86 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:50 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:12 pm
jsmit86 wrote:
LSAT wrote:
Distilled or tap water?
Good questions.
> Not cleaned in the dishwasher, (despite 2 of the tubs being top rack cleanable on the regular cycle)
> Reverse Osmosis Water. (Not quite distilled, but close)
> Cleaning routine, a little dish soap and water as needed.

Same routine I used prior to having the issues.

Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:43 pm

jsmit86 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:50 pm
SleepGeek wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:12 pm
jsmit86 wrote:

Distilled or tap water?
Good questions.
> Not cleaned in the dishwasher, (despite 2 of the tubs being top rack cleanable on the regular cycle)
> Reverse Osmosis Water. (Not quite distilled, but close)
> Cleaning routine, a little dish soap and water as needed.

Same routine I used prior to having the issues.
Good Answers.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:38 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:43 pm

Good Answers.
"What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?"
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

tipton

Post by tipton » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:07 pm

Does the Airsense 11 allow you to transfer data over bluetooth to your computer to use with OSCAR, or is the bluetooth feature used for some other purpose?