thinking about trying a mask liner, do they seal ok?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Oday03274

thinking about trying a mask liner, do they seal ok?

Post by Oday03274 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:01 am

HI all,
I'm thinking about ordering some mask liners because my face has been getting sweaty under the silicone seal and causing leaks and discomfort. Does anyone use these and if so do they work? It seems like it would be a problem with keeping a good seal since fabric, being porous, is not typically known for creating a great seal between surfaces. Thanks in advance for your comments!

ozij

Re: thinking about trying a mask liner, do they seal ok?

Post by ozij » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:32 am

Oday03274 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:01 am
Does anyone use these and if so do they work?
Yes and yes - though not on my present mask of course.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:43 am

For me..... they do not. My leak rates are high. But I use the Philips Total Mask and the mask leaves red marks on my cheeks. But I love the comfort the liners provide. As far as leaks, they don't wake me up and my AHI stays low (around a .5), so my machine can compensate for the leaks.

Sheriff

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:03 am

Oday03274 wrote:
do they work?
You'll never know until you try. Individuals have individual experiences.

Oday03274

Post by Oday03274 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:42 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:43 am
For me..... they do not. My leak rates are high. But I use the Philips Total Mask and the mask leaves red marks on my cheeks. But I love the comfort the liners provide. As far as leaks, they don't wake me up and my AHI stays low (around a .5), so my machine can compensate for the leaks.

Sheriff
Wow the total mask? How is that? Do you get much condensation inside? Can you side sleep in it? How about nose itch? I recently tried an over the nose full face, but not the over the whole face, and couldn't believe the amount of nose tickle it caused, I hypothesized it was do to the moisture variations and tested this by drilling some additional small vent holes, which, eliminated the nose itch but made the leak rate, and the air noise too high. It did completely eliminate the nose itch problem though which I was unable to solve by trying all the suggestions like, trim your nose hairs, scrub your face, put Chapstick on your nose etc.

Patrick

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:41 pm

Mask liners are porous, and I found them silencing leaks and wicking away perspiration.
Leaks may be reduced, but I did not observe that happening with me.
They did help me sleep, because they gave me a nice, dry face and no face farts.
Leaks are less important than actually SLEEPING.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:56 pm

Oday03274 wrote:
HI all,
I'm thinking about ordering some mask liners because my face has been getting sweaty under the silicone seal and causing leaks and discomfort. Does anyone use these and if so do they work? It seems like it would be a problem with keeping a good seal since fabric, being porous, is not typically known for creating a great seal between surfaces. Thanks in advance for your comments!
Mask liners were a game changer for me when I used a FFM. They don't prevent leaks, but they tame them, so there aren't any more squeals, no more blowing in your eyes, etc. They don't make a perfect seal like silicone on skin can (but often doesn't), but the leaks aren't disturbing anymore.

padacheek.com makes the best ones, they're meant to be washed and used over and over, unlike some of the scammy companies that sell you some cut up t-shirt material and tell you to buy more every day... (hint, those can be washed too :D)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:45 am

Oday03274 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:42 am
Sheriff Buford wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:43 am

Sheriff
Wow the total mask? How is that? Do you get much condensation inside? Can you side sleep in it? How about nose itch? I recently tried an over the nose full face, but not the over the whole face, and couldn't believe the amount of nose tickle it caused, I hypothesized it was do to the moisture variations and tested this by drilling some additional small vent holes, which, eliminated the nose itch but made the leak rate, and the air noise too high. It did completely eliminate the nose itch problem though which I was unable to solve by trying all the suggestions like, trim your nose hairs, scrub your face, put Chapstick on your nose etc.

Patrick
I on occasion get the nose itch too. I pop off the hose and scratch thru the hose hole. It doesn't help that the air enters the mask where it's hitting the nose, but most all full face masks that I can think of do that. It seems that you are doing all you can to reduce nose itch. I've been using the Total face mask for about 12 years. It's not a very popular mask, but it works for me because I have issues with the full face masks irritating the bridge of my nose. I use the Contour cpap pillow to sleep on. It has "cut-outs" that allow me to side sleep without pillow interference.

Sheriff

Brad S

Post by Brad S » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:40 am

Oday03274 wrote:
I'm thinking about ordering some mask liners because my face has been getting sweaty under the silicone seal and causing leaks and discomfort. Does anyone use these and if so do they work?
When my wife was in the hospital 2 years ago and was being discharged, she had a big pack of the 13" X 13" disposable paper(ish) hospital washcloths in her room. I asked the nurse what they were going to do with them and she said since they were open that they would be thrown away. I took them knowing I would find a use for them. Turns out, they make great single use mask liners. I made a half template of her F20 mask and cut a few out as a trial. I was able to get 4 from each 13" square. There were probably 100 in the pack. There was no label or id on the packaging so I can't tell you which ones to look for.
She no longer needs the liners but they worked great.

Angry much?