P10 nasal pillow irritating only one nostril

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
iNeedis

P10 nasal pillow irritating only one nostril

Post by iNeedis » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:43 pm

Hello all. Recently started using the p10 nasal pillow mask and love it. Sleep amazing with it. Only downfall is my left nostril gets irritated by it and has a red soreness on the inner side of nostril. The right nostril is perfectly fine but only left is bothering me. Is this normal for only one nostril to be irritated?

randye80

Re: P10 nasal pillow irritating only one nostril

Post by randye80 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:09 pm

I've been using the P10 mask for about 9 months now. I'm similarly very happy with the therapy.

I often had irritation to my right nostril, fwiw. I have noticed that there is some variability between supposedly identical pillows, i.e. some hurt more than others. It seems to help to gently massage/manipulate the pillow a bit to soften it up.

When it first happened to me, I started rubbing a bit of Carmex on the inside of the nostrils before bed, which did seem to help. Recently I've started using Vicks which also helps keep my air passages clear all night. I have experienced a significant reduction in irritation/pain since using Vicks.

Hope this helps.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:21 pm

iNeedis wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:43 pm
Hello all. Recently started using the p10 nasal pillow mask and love it. Sleep amazing with it. Only downfall is my left nostril gets irritated by it and has a red soreness on the inner side of nostril. The right nostril is perfectly fine but only left is bothering me. Is this normal for only one nostril to be irritated?
don't know if it's normal. if it's happening to you, well, it's happening to you.

i would recommend lansinoh. off of amazon-
https://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-Lanolin ... 277&sr=8-4

or at the grocery store in the infant section. it really works and helps seal the p10 to your nose.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

latskogkatt

Post by latskogkatt » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:08 pm

The issue could be the pillows, or it could be the fact peoples' nostrils aren't perfectly alike, and the pillows aren't shaped to fit your specific nose. Either way, the suggestions from Zonker and Randy seem like they'd be worth trying out.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:19 am

Make sure your pillows are not sized to small. They should not be going into the nostrils but press up against the base. Try a size up.

Might be a little blistering from rubbing. When I started with pillows I got some sores under my nose. They went away after a few days when the skin toughened up.

Pick up some Lansinoh Lanolin and put a dab on the sores.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:09 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:19 am
Make sure your pillows are not sized to small. They should not be going into the nostrils but press up against the base. Try a size up.

Might be a little blistering from rubbing. When I started with pillows I got some sores under my nose. They went away after a few days when the skin toughened up.

Pick up some Lansinoh Lanolin and put a dab on the sores.
I found the pillows to be a bit irritating at first also but like DS said, the body will build up some callus and toughen up.

The lanisoh is great and found in the breastfeeding section at places like walmart and other pharmacies and is labeled "nipple cream". Don't let that intimidate you, its amazing stuff.

Someone also posted about Ayr nasal saline gel which they also sell at walmart in the pharmacy section for around $4. I like it because you can rub it up in the nasal flares and it feels pretty good.

Be mindful-a little goes a very very long way!

https://lansinoh.com/products/lanolin-nipple-cream

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/p/ayr-s ... gJ6ZPD_BwE

HTH

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:21 am

I would suspect a possible cold sore, and take the valacyclovir my doctor recommended.
I was plagued with those damned things in my nostrils and upper lip for years--
At least once on "picture" day at school.
:(

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:24 am

All good suggestions above.
iNeedis wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:43 pm
Only downfall is my left nostril gets irritated by it and has a red soreness on the inner side of nostril. The right nostril is perfectly fine but only left is bothering me. Is this normal for only one nostril to be irritated?
I will only add. Pillows should be sealed on the nares of the nostrils and not go inside. Try the next size up as already suggested.

Could it be your nares are diff sizes? Or you sleep on one side compressing one nare or causing movement? It's movement when you breathe that causes the irritation.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

djont57

Post by djont57 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:02 pm

Doesn't the tapered portion of the pillows go inside the nares?