Another new here post..

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pbc

Another new here post..

Post by pbc » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:27 am

So had a sleep study done a few months ago and was diagnosed with mild to moderate sleep apnea and they reccod a CPAP machine (pressure of 9).

Decided to get a travel one first as I travel quite a bit and the only one available without a 12 week wait in Canada was the Z2 Auto. Set it up last night with the q-lite muffler thing and HMX filter. Set up a ramp and put the machine on auto with 4.5 low and 10 high pressure. Bought a Wisp mask.

Slept terribly, surprise surprise. Woke up constantly. Can’t really figure out how to tell if the mask fits right, will try the other sizes over time.

Quick question on cleaning….so I get you can use dish soap to clean the nasal mask and tubes.

But how do you clean the q-lite filter (which has a foam piece in it) and HMX filters? Couldn’t seem to find via google search.

Here is the data from the Nitelog app (terrible looking app). Seems to imply I had a good sleep..which didn’t feel like it was the case.

Attachments
FB220CA0-3481-443B-8627-B8FAF01F131C.png
FB220CA0-3481-443B-8627-B8FAF01F131C.png (331.98 KiB) Viewed 1792 times

Pugsy

Re: Another new here post..

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:06 am

AHI of 8.1 is pretty bad and doesn't surprise me that you felt you had poor sleep quality last night.
You probably want that number to be below 2 ish.

Sorry not familiar with your machine in general so I have no idea about cleaning anything.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

pbc

Post by pbc » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:57 am

Thanks, need to look up what AHI means. The app seems to imply 5-15 is mild?

Guess I need to try and find some time to research this stuff in general as outside of using a video on how to set up the Z2 I’m completely clueless on fit of mask, how to know if I’m getting leaks, pressure to use (video seemed to imply to keep in on auto and start with 5-10 as the pressure).

As for cleaning, just not sure about the muffler and HMX filter.

One site said to rinse the foam muffler with just water and let it air dry. Another said not to get the foam muffler wet and just inspect for cracks or dryness.

Haven’t seen anything on the HMX humidifier filters.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:26 am

AHI 5 to 15 is indeed mild if we are talking about the untreated diagnostic AHI but an AHI of 8 would earn you a diagnosis of OSA and a cpap machine use.
So you are using a machine and getting a TREATED AHI number that is still high enough to earn someone a diagnosis.
That's bad treatment.

The line in the sand is AHI 5.0 for diagnosing AHI but even 5 events per hour can significantly disturb sleep.
Imagine if I came over to your house and sat by your bed and poked you with a pin, causing you to wake up, once ever 12 minutes all night long. Just how good do you think you would rate your sleep and how good (not not good) do you think you would feel the next day?

Most people actually don't begin to feel the numbers positively until the average per hour is maybe 2 or 3 per hour or less.

Right now your treated AHI numbers would earn you a "mild" sleep apnea diagnosis and a "you need a cpap machine" and the bad thing is you are already on a cpap machine. Duh??? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that something isn't working. Most likely your pressure is too low but without detailed data it is impossible to say for sure.
We are assuming that the AHI is composed of obstructive events but we don't know for sure. It wouldn't be impossible for you to be having central apneas and more pressure won't fix central apneas.

Your thought to get a tiny travel machine because you travel a lot didn't take into account that maybe you might need or want more details than the travel machine could give you if you ran into trouble with your therapy....and right now you have ran into trouble and your machine can't give you what you need to figure out the problem and best deal with it.
You have to just fly blind and make guesses.
pbc wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:27 am
So had a sleep study done a few months ago and was diagnosed with mild to moderate sleep apnea and they reccod a CPAP machine (pressure of 9)
pbc wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:27 am
Set up a ramp and put the machine on auto with 4.5 low and 10 high pressure. Bought a Wisp mask.

Probably your minimum pressure is too low and you might need more maximum as well.
My best guess (since information is limited) is try minimum of 7 or 8 and maximum of say 15 and see what happens to both the AHI and how you sleep.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

pbc

Post by pbc » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:47 am

Thanks, I just got the CPAP yesterday so this was my first time trying it out. Was up several times due to discomfort wearing the mask/tubing (looking to set up a hook for the hose), no idea if that also causes a higher AHI. Have also been a poor sleeper since my early 20s, so some 25+ years.

Will try out a higher range as you suggested and do plan to order a more permanent unit but as I was just given my prescription a couple weeks ago and all sites in Canada claim a 8-12 week lead time minimum on CPAP's I just ordered the Z2 to hold me over and start to get used to sleeping with one.

I'm also a side sleeper, so might need to try a few different masks though I had read the Wisp was pretty decent for side sleepers, and I also wonder if I was having mask leak though maybe the Z2 doesn't measure that.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:58 am

Look at the ResMed AirFit N30 if you are a side sleeper.
It's a nice little mask and more quiet than the Wisp.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... h-headgear

For something more along the lines of the Wisp you might check out the Swift Nano
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... k-headgear
It isn't as quiet as the N30 though.
I have tried both the Wisp and the Nano....I felt the Nano was the better of the two.

But remember...everything in cpap comes with a big YMMV sticker....what one person might love the next person might hate.

Also remember that it is common to not sleep so great when first starting cpap simply from the newness of everything.
While you read about people slapping the mask on and it's lights out until morning...those people are in a very small minority as most of use will require a period of adjustment for the brain/body to get used to its new best friend.

pbc

Post by pbc » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:53 am

So have tried the N30, it is more comfortable.

But I literally am unable to fall asleep with a mask as I am struggling to breathe out. Literally am gasping for air after a minute or two and completely awake as a result.

Also have an issue where one nostril is always almost completely clogged (left) so not sure if that is making things worse with a cpap mask on.

Super frustrating, have tried different settings (the Z2 has a 1 to 3 setting to supposedly make breathing out easier but none help). I dont get why it is so hard to breathe out of the nose masks, is that just how the cpap works? Trying to remember if at the sleep apnea clinic it was this bad.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:15 am

pbc wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:53 am
have tried different settings (the Z2 has a 1 to 3 setting to supposedly make breathing out easier but none help)
At what pressure did you try those settings?

Brad S

Post by Brad S » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:50 am

pbc wrote:
I am struggling to breathe out. Literally am gasping for air after a minute or two and completely awake as a result.
I am also new here and struggling with exactly the same thing. Hang in there. We will get through this.

Angry much?

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:52 am

pbc wrote:

Also have an issue where one nostril is always almost completely clogged (left) so not sure if that is making things worse with a cpap mask on.

may i recommend flonase? works well for unclogging the nostril.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:21 am

I just ordered one of these. Most of these assists require stuffing it under a mattress but this one can hook on just about anything less than 3in thick.

https://www.amazon.com/JAKIA-Minimize-A ... 110&sr=8-3

I have the N30i which has the teletubby hose attachment rather then elephant nose. (sorry just me having fun with it-I am a newbie also.)

Keep your chin up newbies. This could be a real game changer! The people on this board are so knowledgeable. Its pretty incredible.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

pbc

Post by pbc » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:42 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:15 am
pbc wrote:
have tried different settings (the Z2 has a 1 to 3 setting to supposedly make breathing out easier but none help)
At what pressure did you try those settings?
A low of 6.0, high of 14 in the APAP setting.

Starts with a 25 minute ramp at 4.5. When it got to 8 if I recall is when I decided to take it off as it had been an hour of not being able to breathe properly.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:13 pm

You probably should be getting with your doctor about your inability to exhale comfortably.
They put babies on cpap at a pressure of 6 without any exhale relief.

I don't know if the problem is with your respiratory system or if the problem is with the Z2 travel machine and the way it does things. Perhaps maybe try a different machine if at all possible.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:53 pm

My provider had mine set at 4 for 15m. I felt like I was gasping for air. I switched it to 5 min. Not sure if I should have done that but I like it much better. I settle down pretty quickly.

Not sure why such a long low pressure lead in time would be necessary.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

AZdreamer

Post by AZdreamer » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:53 pm

I have a Z2 as my travel machine. It's light and has low power requirements so its great for airplane use/short biz trips/camping/back-up. But like most travel machines, there are compromises. There is no data card, no humidifier and it's noticeably noiser than a full size machine. I also find that the auto algorithm is not as sensitive as my Resmed AS10 home machine. I would not use it as my daily driver. Some tips:

- Err on the side of a higher minimum pressure
- Pick up the longer 6ft hose HDM sells. It is quieter than the 4ft hose the unit comes with.
- The highest Z-Breath setting (3) is the noisest. Stick to a setting of 1 or 2
- If you use a mask that has a short hose attached (such as the N30 or N20) the Humidity Exchanger Cartridge is not effective. Don't bother with it
- The Q Tube is effective in reducing noise. I don't wash it.

Good Luck on your CPAP journey