Is OSCAR showing my life at risk??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
racprops

Is OSCAR showing my life at risk??

Post by racprops » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:07 am

I FEAR my ResMed Air Curve 10 BiPAP model S may be putting my life at risk:

BUT I cannot make total heads or tails of the reports.

The ResMed reports on OSCAR are very different form my Dreamstaion.

They report NO Obstuctive Apenea AT ALL AND LOTS of Unclassified Apneas and Hypopneas.

BUT When I lowered the base pressure the Unclassified Apneas went way up and when I raised the base pressure they came done. As I have always shown Obstructive apneas I believe I still need a higher base pressure to control them, raising the base pressure changed the reports.

Also I have not felt any pressure changes or read any, do these machine NOT try to prevent farther Apneas?? All my Phillips machine respond to apneas by changing pressure to stop future apneas, but I THINK this ResMed does NOT, and the chart I believe shows this lack of response. There are no pressure changes shown. Unlike my Phillips machine do.

I have been told I have complex sleep apnea, I have been on your ASV machines sense 2013. After I needed a Quad Bypass. Which I believe my sleep apneas caused.

Here is the worst part, going by OSCAR’s report I am NOT Breathing a lot of my time on this ResMed machine.

Last night my respiration rate dropped to ZERON a lot.

Only the ResMed shows a Resp. Rate FROM ZERO to Forty…my Phillips only show the lowerst reported breathing rate which has never dropped below eight. I went back thought some 5 months of reports and NEVER has my breathing rate dropped to ZERO on my Dreamstation. Note on showed ZERO when a mask was removed at end of session once or twice, not in a session.

IF I am right I am at a much higher risk of health problems by the fact that these machines cannot take care of me like my Phillips ASV, can and does.

My finding or these tree major problems in reporting very scary, a lack of real reports of a apneas, lack of any responses to my apneas with pressure changes and lastly my breathing rate dropping to ZERO scares me to death.

All my Phillips machine have reported all three of my kinds of apneas, Obstructive Apnea, Clear air Apneas (Centrals) and Hypopneas. Plus ever so often other breathing disorders. As long as I have been on CPAP.

Please look at these charts and tell me in I am right or wrong about this ResMed machine?

Is it as dumb as I think it is?? Am I risking my life on IT??
ResMed Closeup.jpg
ResMed 2.jpg
Dreamstation.jpg

Pugsy

Re: Is OSCAR showing my life at risk??

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:49 am

You are now using the ResMed fixed bilevel machine the AirCurve 10 S
It CANNOT auto adjust anything...nothing in it will react to anything to prevent anything. It just can't do it.

You were using a DreamStation ASV machine...totally a different kind of machine that can auto adjust to anything.

You simply cannot compare the two machines...apples and kumquats.

Is this machine putting your life at risk? Dunno but it sure isn't dealing with whatever is going on because it can't.

If the clusters of UAs reduce with more minimum baseline EPAP...that points to those events being obstructive in nature and you just need more minimum to deal with things.

Do you have a screenshot handy where the UAs or whatever are much less numerous with the higher minimum EPAP?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:07 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:49 am
You were using a DreamStation ASV machine...totally a different kind of machine that can auto adjust to anything.

Looks like you've got the wrong machine for the therapy you need. That cannot be good for your health.

How did that happen?
How can you fix it: that is, how can you get an ASV machine?
Whoever set you up with a non ASV machine?
Do you know the settings you had on the Dreamstation ASV?
If you get a ResMed ASV, who will set it up for you?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:45 am

He's had a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV, he didn't like it because it didn't have enough buttons and dials he could randomly twist and turn.

Read his past threads, he's not interested in what others think, he asks questions to express opinions, not to hear them.

Let this sink in:
He bought a machine, and put it in a mode that doesn't differentiate between obstructive apneas, and then posts to complain that it doesn't differentiate between obstructive and centrals.
Last edited by Dog Slobber on Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:09 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:45 am
He's had a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV, he didn't like it because it didn't have enough buttons and dials he could randomly twist and turn.

Read his past threads, he's not interested in what others think, he asks questions to express opinions, not to hear them.

Let this sink in:
He bought a machine that doesn't differentiate between obstructive apneas, and then posts to complain that it doesn't differentiate between obstructive and centrals.
Ahhhhh....now I remember this dude.

I now change my advice to "consult your physician about your concerns"....

Though I do wonder why the machine isn't distinguishing between OAs and centrals because it should.
The regular AirCurve 10 bilevels like the S model or the VAuto should both use FOT to distinguish events into those categories.
I am wondering how his machine got so confused.... or am I wrong about the AirCurve 10 S model machine?????? and it's use of FOT??

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:09 am

racprops wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:40 pm
One of my best lines is: "LIFE...No one gets out alive!!"
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:33 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:09 am
Dog Slobber wrote:

Let this sink in:
He bought a machine that doesn't differentiate between obstructive apneas, and then posts to complain that it doesn't differentiate between obstructive and centrals.
Ahhhhh....now I remember this dude.

I now change my advice to "consult your physician about your concerns"....

Though I do wonder why the machine isn't distinguishing between OAs and centrals because it should.
The regular AirCurve 10 bilevels like the S model or the VAuto should both use FOT to distinguish events into those categories.
I am wondering how his machine got so confused.... or am I wrong about the AirCurve 10 S model machine?????? and it's use of FOT??
The 10 S or Vauto in S mode, must have Easy-Breathe enabled for CSA detection. I updated my post to make it clearer.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:39 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:33 am
The 10 S or Vauto in S mode, must have Easy-Breathe enabled for CSA detection. I
Ahhh...thanks...I wasn't aware of that little tidbit.
I can't imagine anyone turning off easy breathe...so hadn't really thought about it.

GrumpyHere

Post by GrumpyHere » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:04 pm

racprops wrote:Then there is with the BiPAP Model S: I tested, this machine has some settings I can adjust once the AUTOMATIC Easy Breath is turned off.

I call it a Dr. Jackal and Mr. Hide machine, with the Easy Breath auto control off it is too harsh, it punches you in the face with pressure pops.

I read the manual and found little help and some slight hints and tried again the next night and I did calm down the pop pressure on the switch from exhaling to only popping at the end of an inhale but it was still there. I did try each setting one at a time. And nothing worked right.
Dog Slobber wrote:
He turned off easy breathe for the same reason he disliked the ResMed ASV. He wanted to "dial-wing" it.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:22 pm

I had forgotten (for a few years, apparently) why he was on my foe list . . .

racprops

Post by racprops » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:45 am

I am deeply hurt by many of the reactions to my question.

IF YOU were to look back over my over 9 years of being a member you would see I asked real questions and offered what help and info I leaned along the way..

I have always been machinal inclined, and VERY GOOD at problem solving.

I shared reports about problems with masks and other problems with cpap. I tried to return the help I received by trying to help others as best as I could.

BUT ONCE I started questing ResMed all hell broke out.

AND I installed a clean new copy of OSCAR 4.1 on a clean second computer and read the ResMed SD Card and GOT THE SAME REPORT…NO CHANGE AT ALL!!!

As to a couple of questions as to why I was trying this ResMed Air Curve 10 BiPAP model S: Because:

I have been told I have complex sleep apnea, I have been on Phillips ASV machines sense 2013. After I needed a Quad Bypass.

I was able to remove the foam in my Dreamstation ASV, and later replace the chamber with a unit made without the foam, I had NO problem with the foam.

I tried the ResMed ASV and hated it. So I stayed on the Dreamstation.

Checking with my local authorized repair shop last week I was told they CANNOT get ANY parts and at this time they have NO idea when/if ever they will be able to get repair parts. They have not been able to do any service on any Phillips systems for the last year.

BUT so far all my Phillips ASVs have failed within three to four years. My current machine is getting that old.

I am VERY concerned about my future treatment and rather I will be able to have my Dreamstation ASV repaired, or replace in the near future.

I cannot get Medicare to pay for an ASV Machine, they claim my apneas are not bad enough, they prescribe a simple APAP. I have had over 6 sleep studies and they keep coming up with the same reports.

My Doctor kind of agrees with me and my first Doctor BUT HIS word is NOT good enough to get them to buy anything better than a APAP.

Due to the above problems in repairs and replacement Phillips ASV machines I considered I MIGHT be OK on a nearly new ResMed Air Curve 10 BiPAP model S machine with under 30 hours on its clock.

After all six tests and I am told I do not need a ASV!!!???

As it seems Phillips is still deeply under water and there is NO parts for repairs I did made a harder effort to learn to live with my current oh hand BiPAP Air Curve 10.

I was very surprised by my reports on the ResMed, so looked for help and understanding, and this is the kind of help I am getting here.

I Keep being surprised by how limited these so loved ResMed machines are, I cannot believe how many people love them.

But with so much love by others I kept hoping I was wrong and thought I have figured out how to stop ResMeds Slow rising breathing system by turning off Easy Sleep setting ….but like my test for a week of ResMed ASV, ResMed seems to screw you IF you do not run it at factory settings.

I was told:

By “Pugsy” on cpap talk.com:

You are now using the ResMed fixed bilevel machine the AirCurve 10 S
It CANNOT auto adjust anything...nothing in it will react to anything to prevent anything. It just can't do it.

Is this machine putting your life at risk? Dunno but it sure isn't dealing with whatever is going on because it can't.

If the clusters of UAs reduce with more minimum baseline EPAP...that points to those events being obstructive in nature and you just need more minimum to deal with things.

Do you have a screenshot handy where the UAs or whatever are much less numerous with the higher minimum EPAP?

And:

Dog Slobber wrote: ↑
Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:33 am
The 10 S or Vauto in S mode, must have Easy-Breathe enabled for CSA detection. I
Ahhh...thanks...I wasn't aware of that little tidbit.
I can't imagine anyone turning off easy breathe...so hadn't really thought about it.

GOOD GOD: what a system.

Well I have my answers, ResMed is in my book: crap.

EVERY Phillips machine EVEN a simple APAP machine will autoadjust to try to prevent future apneas, NO Matter what changes are done to its settings.

In fact this slow poor responses of a simple Phillips APAP machine was but none the less its rising pressure settings were a cause of destroying my getting deep sleep and REM sleep by disturbing my sleep cycles.

I find it inconceivable that a CPAP system with either NOT have such a function or TURN THEM OFF if you chose to change ANY setting….

Now I know, I ran into similar problems with ResMed ASV machine it really bit my ass when I tried to tune it to what I felt better and now I find out the Model S is also crap.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I will now do everything I can to get a spear Phillips Dreamstation ASV, it is not full of BS settings.

I will again try to NEVER VISIT the place again.

Rich

racprops

Post by racprops » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:09 pm

Tell you what as you all hate PHIILIPS DreamStation BiPAP autoSv so much why not give me all of them you have??

Rich

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:19 pm

if'n i had a philips machine to give you, i'd do it in a heartbeat.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg