Oximeter and Mac

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Andréa

Oximeter and Mac

Post by Andréa » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:31 pm

Hi!

Anyone knows about an oximeter that can record, works with Oscar and has softwear that works with Mac OS Big Sur? Going bananas when trying to research bc my shitty ME/Cfs-brain.

<3
Andréa

Jeff8356

Re: Oximeter and Mac

Post by Jeff8356 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:44 pm

I use a Wellue Sleep-U recording oximeter. You wear is like a watch and the sensor slips onto your finger like a ring. It has a Mac app called O2 Insight Pro. The data from the app is easy to import into OSCAR. And it works with all current versions of macOS.
The unit is a little pricey but they have a "O2-Ring" (looks more like a big ring) that also works and is a little less expensive.
MacbookAir (Intel) macOS Monterey (12.6.8)
OSCAR 1.5.1
Resmed S10 Autoset w/heated hose
F30 Mask
Pressure 9-14
OSCAR Team

GeorgieLH

Post by GeorgieLH » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:22 am

Andréa wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:31 pm
Hi!
Anyone knows about an oximeter that can record, works with Oscar and has softwear that works with Mac OS Big Sur? Going bananas when trying to research bc my shitty ME/Cfs-brain.
<3
Andréa
Hello Andréa

I also use the Wellue Checkme Overnight Bluetooth Oxygen Saturation Meter (Wellue), and I like it. I don't LOVE it because I have compared its reading to two other pulse and PulseOx meters and it seems to be a bit off, not much. BUT the reason why I like it is because it gives me a record to match other things to.
Before I go to bed, and before I put on my CPAP mask, the tube gets in the way of my turning around :D , I move my iWatch to my right wrist, and I reach to my Wellue and place it on my left wrist and thumb. I turn the CPAP on, turn the lights off, and turn the Wellue on after I am in position. It has a bright red light at the thumb sensor, but that is OK, I use it as mood lighting :) . I sleep... I sleep... I sleep and then I wake up. Turn the CPAP off, remove the mask, again tube gets in the way..., and then reach over to grab my iPhone. I connect the Wellue via Bluetooth and suck the nights report via a CSV (Comma Separated Values) MS-Excel readable file. The Wellue comes with an iPhone app so the app holds the data. Then I send the nights data file via email to process later in the day using my computer. I have developed an automated MS-Excel workbook that tallies all the data for me.
The Wellue take a PulseOx reading every two seconds. It measures PulseOx , Heart Rate, movement level which is how much movement you do while sleeping. If you are still its zero, if you toss around it varies by how much tossing is happening, if you go to the bathroom it is 65535 (That number should ring a bell if you deal with data analysis or computers... its a special value = 2 to the power of 256 and 256 is also a special... OK I am deviating from the topic so I'll stop its the maximum value the Wellue can handle that is the point I am trying to make, if you turn and switch sides its 13 or so. These numbers are just what I picked from memory the point is the Wellue also tracks your "calmness during sleep" to tell you the quality of sleep. The Wellue also have "alarms" that you can set for pulse rate and PulseOx percentage. So if your pulse rate falls outside a range you specify it will buzz the sensor on your thumb will vibrate and gives you the warning, and the device will turn of the screen, and also if the PulseOx falls below a certain level it buzzes you. Personally I am not sure if this is helpful or annoying. I mean what are you doing to do about it? OK you may be able to take a couple of deep breaths to increase your PulseOx but that requires you to wake up to do so... and heart rate??? Maybe happy thoughts may help but again you need to wake up for that!

So PLEASE DO NOT rush out there and buy a Wellue, after all its not something that I LOVE or RELY on, but something that I use in conjunction with other things. Its not cheap also, I bought mine via Online stores for something like $200.00. And the replacement parts are also prohibitive of losing or damaging the originals. Plus I am not sure it's OSCAR integration!!! I have not loaded data from OSCAR but am planning on, so stay tuned.

So, this is my personal account for your benefit to decide on your own to see if a Wellue will be something you are interested in. I also found this interesting and helpful (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPFpzBOwgjA) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpDo8Zqj4Qs) but no endorsements what so ever. Wellue is one of many out there in the PulseOx World. Do your research.

Hope this is helpful and if you need any questions about the Wellue answered let me know.

Georgie
Breath in, Breath out, repeat until the morning sun rise!

Andréa

Post by Andréa » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:29 pm

Thanks for tip, will look in to that one :)
Jeff8356 wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:44 pm
I use a Wellue Sleep-U recording oximeter. You wear is like a watch and the sensor slips onto your finger like a ring. It has a Mac app called O2 Insight Pro. The data from the app is easy to import into OSCAR. And it works with all current versions of macOS.
The unit is a little pricey but they have a "O2-Ring" (looks more like a big ring) that also works and is a little less expensive.

Andréa

Post by Andréa » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:34 pm

GeorgieLH wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:22 am
Andréa wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:31 pm
Hi!
<3
Andréa
Hello Andréa

I also use the Wellue Checkme Overnight Bluetooth Oxygen Saturation Meter (Wellue), and I like it. I don't LOVE it because I have compared its reading to two other pulse and PulseOx meters and it seems to be a bit off, not much. BUT the reason why I like it is because it gives me a record to match other things to.
Before I go to bed, and before I put on my CPAP mask, the tube gets in the way of my turning around :D , I move my iWatch to my right wrist, and I reach to my Wellue and place it on my left wrist and thumb. I turn the CPAP on, turn the lights off, and turn the Wellue on after I am in position. It has a bright red light at the thumb sensor, but that is OK, I use it as mood lighting :) . I sleep... I sleep... I sleep and then I wake up. Turn the CPAP off, remove the mask, again tube gets in the way..., and then reach over to grab my iPhone. I connect the Wellue via Bluetooth and suck the nights report via a CSV (Comma Separated Values) MS-Excel readable file. The Wellue comes with an iPhone app so the app holds the data. Then I send the nights data file via email to process later in the day using my computer. I have developed an automated MS-Excel workbook that tallies all the data for me.
The Wellue take a PulseOx reading every two seconds. It measures PulseOx , Heart Rate, movement level which is how much movement you do while sleeping. If you are still its zero, if you toss around it varies by how much tossing is happening, if you go to the bathroom it is 65535 (That number should ring a bell if you deal with data analysis or computers... its a special value = 2 to the power of 256 and 256 is also a special... OK I am deviating from the topic so I'll stop its the maximum value the Wellue can handle that is the point I am trying to make, if you turn and switch sides its 13 or so. These numbers are just what I picked from memory the point is the Wellue also tracks your "calmness during sleep" to tell you the quality of sleep. The Wellue also have "alarms" that you can set for pulse rate and PulseOx percentage. So if your pulse rate falls outside a range you specify it will buzz the sensor on your thumb will vibrate and gives you the warning, and the device will turn of the screen, and also if the PulseOx falls below a certain level it buzzes you. Personally I am not sure if this is helpful or annoying. I mean what are you doing to do about it? OK you may be able to take a couple of deep breaths to increase your PulseOx but that requires you to wake up to do so... and heart rate??? Maybe happy thoughts may help but again you need to wake up for that!

So PLEASE DO NOT rush out there and buy a Wellue, after all its not something that I LOVE or RELY on, but something that I use in conjunction with other things. Its not cheap also, I bought mine via Online stores for something like $200.00. And the replacement parts are also prohibitive of losing or damaging the originals. Plus I am not sure it's OSCAR integration!!! I have not loaded data from OSCAR but am planning on, so stay tuned.

So, this is my personal account for your benefit to decide on your own to see if a Wellue will be something you are interested in. I also found this interesting and helpful (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPFpzBOwgjA) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpDo8Zqj4Qs) but no endorsements what so ever. Wellue is one of many out there in the PulseOx World. Do your research.

Hope this is helpful and if you need any questions about the Wellue answered let me know.

Georgie
Thanks for a thorough walk through!! I will do some more research.

//Andréa