Negatives effects after started using my CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dyma82@yahoo.com

Negatives effects after started using my CPAP

Post by dyma82@yahoo.com » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:41 am

Hi all...I am new here. I started using my CPAP 6 months ago after I couldn't ignore anymore my wife requests to address a possible sleep apnea. I was diagnosed and given a CPAP machine. I have no complains about the equipment. However, I have noticed some negative changes, which drove me to join this forum and post my findings. Maybe I will find some answers.
These are the issues I found:

- Heavy eyes in the morning. I couldn't almost open them in the morning. I found that this could be cause by air leakage. Maybe...I have been told I don't fully close my eyes when I sleep.
- I spend most of the day groggy. This doesn't make sense if "in theory" I am sleeping better.
- I noticed a degradation in my mental sharpness after I started using the machine.

I became suspicious of my CPAP and bought an oximeter system. I ran two test. One sleeping without the machine and another with it. It was a horror shock. My results without the machine were scary. I attempted to stop breathing 30 times per hour and my blood oxygenation lowest point reached 72%....ouch!!!! It seems the doctors were right after all, and I do need the machine. With the machine my blood oxygenation lowest point was 92%, and it happened only once within a seven hours sleep cycle.

Still, what bothers me the most is the frequent daytime grogginess and the metal sharpness degradation.

Maybe, there is an advantage in sleeping every night with apnea??? Maybe my body thinks I am a nocturnal spearfisherman and adapt to the sporty task???

mummmz

Re: Negatives effects after started using my CPAP

Post by mummmz » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:59 am

Welcome to the forum. Your mask could be leaking and blowing in your eyes causing the eye issues and possibly waking you up enough to cause grogginess. Try to adjust it so that doesn't happen. Have you tried wearing an eye mask? Have you downloaded the OSCAR program so you can look at the report? Read the sticky messages for new users and possibly post your OSCAR report. The sticky will tell you just what charts the experts here will want to see. 72% is very low! Hopefully that was a one time thing and with the CPAP it won't repeat.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:10 am

How many hours of actual sleep do you think you are getting on average?
Are those hours fragmented by a lot of wake ups that you remember?
Do you take any medications of any kind? If so, what?

You are showing a DreamStation ASV in your equipment profile....do you know if they gave you one that had been fixed after the recall or if they gave you one that hadn't been refurbished yet???
Did you know about the recall?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

dyma82@yahoo.com

Post by dyma82@yahoo.com » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:52 am

Thanks for the replies.
Pugsy,
- On average, I get 6-7 hours of uninterrupted sleep
- Creston 2.5 mg is the only medication I am taking
- Yes, I am aware of the DreamStation recall. I got the DreamStation2. Supposedly, this is the new upgraded version with the problem corrected.

My main worry is the metal sharpness degradation. It is a tiny degree, but noticeable.

I am planning to run a test and simply go back to sleep without the machine (my wife will go ape on me…. ) just to check is my metal-sharpness comes back to normal.

Thanks again for all the replies….

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:25 am

Did you mean Crestor??? If so....something to think about below

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-7670 ... al/details
A very small number of people taking rosuvastatin may have mild memory problems or confusion. If these rare effects occur, talk to your doctor.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

dyma82@yahoo.com

Post by dyma82@yahoo.com » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:50 am

I have been taking Crestor for several years at a dosage so low it doesn’t even exist (I have to cut pills). Never had a side effect. Besides, I have no memory problems, but a slight mental sharpness degradation. Still, thanks a lot for your replies.