Events=AHI?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CChamp

Events=AHI?

Post by CChamp » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:35 pm

I have only been on CPAP for three days now. Before I started my doctor said that I had a reading of 42.2 EVENTS. After 3 days of usage, Oscar says that I have an AHI reading of between 2.08 and 5.09. My question is, are the Events the same as the AHI? That seems like a pretty significant drop. Thanks
Last edited by CChamp on Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clownbell

Re: Events=AHI?

Post by clownbell » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:09 pm

Interesting that you doc used the word "events." I would think most would use the clinical term AHI. Of course, one could think "apnea events per hour," but that is a bit of a stretch. AHI is the proper terminology.

In my case, I had AHI of 28 when initially tested, which dropped to 0.78 on my first night using the machine and 1.19 on the second night. Now 15 months in, I often score AHI less than 0.50. So yes, yours is a significant drop and it indicates that CPAP seems to be working for you.

To get better info, you need better and more complete data. Download the free Oscar software and post a chart after a typical night. The experts can interpret it for you and make appropriate suggestions.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:55 pm

But do understand that the big drop in events (or AHI) or whatever you call it is due to using the machine - go off it for a few days or so and your numbers will be back up to what you tested at without it.

CChamp

Post by CChamp » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:30 pm

I know that I am on it for life. I just wasn't expecting it to make THAT much of a difference.

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:41 pm

"Events" is perfectly acceptable scientific and medical terminology. Especially in the context of RDI. It's accuracy is in its broadness.

And the effectiveness of PAP as a simple mechanical fix for stabilizing the human airway during sleep IS truly amazing.

Most medical issues are not nearly as straightforward in treatment, with the possible exception of stopping bleeding with the application of external pressure.
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:49 pm

The AHI is apnea hypopnea index which is the total number of apneas and hypopneas divided by the hours you used the machine. As an example, if you had 2 apneas and 2 hypopneas in an eight hour period, the AHI will be 0.5 (4 divided 8).

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:25 pm

Direct answer is NO, "events" is not the same as AHI.

But they are related by time, as Okie pointed out.

What you really want to know (as your starting point) is what was your AHI prior to treatment.

For example if tour 40 "events" were over an eight hour period, (and the events were all apneas or hypopneas) that would give you an untreated AHI of 5.

But also keep in mind that that observation period is just a snapshot of your respiratory dysfunction..... on that day.

Many people (myself included) vary significantly in treated AHI night-by-night. During the past week my AHI varied from 0.9 to 11. YMMV

I have no idea what my untreated AHI might be as it has been 18 years since my sleep study
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:57 pm

You couldn’t have had .2 of an event. That 40.2 was your AHI. You’re doing very well!
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:24 am

“40.2” sounds like an AHI.
Perhaps the dr misspoke when he said “events”.
At any rate, you should have it clarified, in fact you should ask for a copy of your sleep study for your records.
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:18 am

CChamp wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:35 pm
I have only been on CPAP for three days now. Before I started my doctor said that I had a reading of 42.2 EVENTS. After 3 days of usage, Oscar says that I have an AHI reading of between 2.08 and 5.09. My question is, are the Events the same as the AHI? That seems like a pretty significant drop. Thanks
Ask for the summary pages of your sleep study and a copy of your prescription. If you are in the US, it's your legal right. Put the copies in a permanent medical file.
CChamp wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:35 pm
Before I started my doctor said that I had a reading of 42.2 EVENTS. After 3 days of usage, Oscar says that I have an AHI reading of between 2.08 and 5.09.
You are going to be a good one for the Success Stories thread!