Central Apnea...in the NHS medical care system

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pedrx

Central Apnea...in the NHS medical care system

Post by Pedrx » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:17 am

Have experienced temporary CA events in the past which were probably caused by drugs.

Recently they have returned for no apparent reason.

Two screen shots enclosed. Feb 16 shows the peak, so far, of the Cheynee Stokes events.

The following night switched from FFM to Pillows. There were no CA events but they steadily increased up to, as yet, last night's results, shown as Feb 22.

Am told Cheynee Stokes indicates heart failure. A recent scan shows heart to be fine.

The numbers seem low but, nonetheless, I can feel exhausted during the day. Is that due to the duration of the events rather than the quantity perhaps?

So it looks like ''Treatment Emergent'' apnea and I may require adaptive servo-ventilation therapy.

Any advice, please, before I approach my NHS Sleep Lab... again?

Thank you, Peter

Feb 22.png
Feb 22.png (142.53 KiB) Viewed 393 times
Feb 16.png
Feb 16.png (149.55 KiB) Viewed 393 times

Pugsy

Re: Central Apnea...in the NHS medical care system

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:11 am

Just because the machine flags some breathing as CSR doesn't necessarily mean that the person is in heart failure.
It just means that the breathing can look enough like CSR to warrant further detective work by the medical care team.
Some people can have a truckload of centrals and it sort of look like CSR and the main object of the flagging is to bring it to the attention of the medical care team to determine if it is real CSR or not...

So you need to be bringing this to the attention of your medical care team and let them decide if they are real CSR or not BUT people can have CSR and it be from an unknown cause and not necessarily heart issues.
We don't want to pooh pooh off anything that MIGHT be potentially pointing to more serious issues.

I added in the NHS medical care system to your topic line to get the attention of forum members in the UK who are more familiar with the way the NHS medical care system works.
Pedrx wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:17 am
The numbers seem low but, nonetheless, I can feel exhausted during the day. Is that due to the duration of the events rather than the quantity perhaps?
If nothing else the number of events can point to really crappy sleep quality from a large number of arousals and that alone can cause someone to feel greatly fatigued during the day. Simply not enough good solid event free sleep.

Not sure how much of an impact the leaks are causing but you have more events flagged when there are lots of big leaks...so the leaks themselves could be also causing arousals.
I don't know how much, if any, we can blame arousals for the central apnea flagging.
Have you gone in and looked at the flagged events themselves to try to figure out if you were really asleep when they were flagged or if they are false positives from arousal/awake breathing irregularities that the machine is mistaking for real asleep events.
Do you know how to zoom in and look for evidence of sleep or awake breathing?
Watch all the videos here.
http://freecpapadvice.com/sleepyhead-free-software

Can you post the report from the night you refer to here
Pedrx wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:17 am
The following night switched from FFM to Pillows. There were no CA events but they steadily increased up to, as yet, last night's results, shown as Feb 22.
If these are indeed real central apneas and you were for sure asleep when they were flagged....auto adjusting pressures could be compounding the problem.....and you are also maxing out the pressures most likely the machine is still trying to kill the hyponeas because the machine won't increase the pressures for centrals but it will for hyponeas that are happening along with the increased flow limitations.

Do you remember waking up often with the large leaks?

Are you waking often during the night for any reason?

Any change in medications at all??? Adding new meds or changing the dosage of current meds?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

rick blaine

Post by rick blaine » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:37 pm

Hi Pedrx,

I'm writing to you from the UK, and I have a bit of knowledge about the system.

From a common-sense PoV, this doesn't look to me like heart disease. The apneas are so bunched together. In my layman's understanding, if it were heart failure, both obstructives and centrals would more likely be spread out. And in both of these charts, you have a spell of five hours where there are no, or very few, events at all.

What's puzzling are these swodges of centrals – 40 minutes, 60 minutes, 70 minutes long. They might be the kind that are a reaction to pressure. But they don't look quite like it.

And neither do they look like 'sleep-wake junk' – although some of them might be that too.

Then there's the reports of CS breathing.

Please note: these machines are supremely sensitive to 'periodic breathing', perhaps overly so. But periodic breathing does not automatically mean heart failure. There are six degrees of severity in periodic breathing, and cardiologists use four stages of heart failure. You can look them up on the net and decide if, for example, you're at the stage of 'hardly can get up out of a chair and walk across the room' or 'rendered breathless and unable to talk by two flights of stairs'.

Doesn't seem from what you say that you are.

We have to ask: what's changed? What is true of you now that wasn't true six months ago?

Some people have more of their apneas – both obstructive and central – when they are dreaming. And they do more of their dreaming in the later stages of sleep – the lighter stages. Ie, in the last two hours of a notional eight-hour sleep.

I note also that, on the nights you show charts for, you slept for a good 10 hours. Have you always been a long sleeper?

As far as the NHS sleep-medicine department goes, in previous, non-covid years, you would have a live, in-person review once a year. With these results, you could ask for that to be brought forward – that is, for you to be seen outside of the annual review cycle.

IMO, there is a case here for having you in for an over-night sleep study. I say this knowing that (a) not all of the NHS foundation trust hospitals has a sleep lab, and that (b) even in non-covid times, fewer that 10 pc of possible-sleep-apnea patients get assessed in one. The majority 90 pc of patients are assessed via a home study.

A repeat home sleep study here would not answer the question – which in laymen's terms can be expressed as 'wtf is going on?' :)

In other words, what these charts show is so unusual that it warrants a full-monte over-night in-lab sleep study. Whether you will get one in these very stressed and long-waiting-list times is another matter. You can only ask.

I would write rather than call, I would tell them you have used shareware – but say that "it tentatively shows unusual behaviour." And that you know it is not definitive, it is not the software they use. Say that what really troubles you is that you are fatigued and unrefreshed in spite of treatment.

I really do mean: underline that last bit.

If you have any other conditions, or people dependent on you, mention them. All of them.

With a bit of luck, they will fit you in somehow, or send you 'out of area' to another hospital or a privately-run sleep lab if the hospital you go to doesn't have one.
Last edited by rick blaine on Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:12 pm

While the OP waits for a sleep study, I wonder whether it'd be worth doing a couple of things.

One is to take a look at some zoomed-in views of the periodic breathing ("CSR"). A 12-minute segment with a lot of CAs would be ideal.

Another is to consider some changes to settings. While I don't see any direct connection to the recent appearance of CAs, I do note that the flow-limitation graph is quite active and moves the pressure up and down. Both the FLs and the pressure changes can produce arousals in some people. Meanwhile, the OP isn't using EPR, which addresses FLs.

The risk with EPR would be increasing CAs, but I'm wondering whether capping the pressure at a lower max might reduce the risk. Tightening the range might also be worth considering. And maybe a brief experiment -- a few nights -- could be informative?

People with expertise should definitely trump my speculations, but I wonder whether settings of max = min = 10, with EPR of 1, might be worth trying. If all hell didn't break loose, then EPR could be increased to 2 and then 3. -- Just a thought.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Pedrx

Post by Pedrx » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:09 am

Thank you all for such a comprehensive reply. You really have put some time into it and supplied extremely useful information.

Last night, though, I increased min pressure from 5 to 8 and set the EPR to 3.

This morning, after 9 hours use, saw an AHI of 0, nothing, zilch!

And the energy is returning. A fluke; time will tell. Will send OSCARS if you're still interested. Let me know which ones please.

Ironically I was using full EPR till my local NHS Lung-Fung suggested disabling it to reduce the CSA. For this and other reasons have little confidence in the department but, if necessary, will get it in writing. Perhaps they are temporarily obliged to use unqualified staff?

There are other points to which I haven't replied but will do so if you still consider them valid. Thank you, Peter

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:54 am

Using EPR will in some people (small segment of cpap users) cause centrals to pop up...that's why your sleep tech person suggested turning EPR off...just in case EPR was your trigger for centrals. I was the first thing I thought of when I saw your central numbers but then I looked and EPR was off. If EPR had been on the first thing we would have suggested is reduce or turn EPR off.

Now you have turned EPR back on and no centrals. Obviously EPR isn't the trigger. So...I have no idea why you had a high number of centrals in the past unless they were more related to arousal breathing and you weren't really asleep when they were flagged...false positives so to speak.

Hey....if this holds now with centrals staying away...be happy and enjoy it.
As long as you are happy and sleeping good and feeling good then that's all that matters.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.