ResMed AirSense 10 Side Plate - Unmuffled?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
VVV

ResMed AirSense 10 Side Plate - Unmuffled?

Post by VVV » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:11 am

Since I rarely use the humidifier, what about getting a side plate to make the machine slightly smaller for travel?

With the humidifier removed, will the machine be louder?

TIA guys!

LSAT

Re: ResMed AirSense 10 Side Plate - Unmuffled?

Post by LSAT » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:38 am

I have seen comments both ways. Personally I have never used the side plate. If I had to guess...louder.

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:19 am

I use the side plate in the summer months and there is no difference in sound .

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:17 pm

I used a side plate for a while and didn't notice any difference in sound.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:46 pm

If you "rarely" use the humidifier, why do you not already have the side plate?
Just get it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:05 pm

I use an empty chamber, because when I've got the side plate, I hear motor noise through the hose.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

VVV

Post by VVV » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:29 am

palerider wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:05 pm
I use an empty chamber, because when I've got the side plate, I hear motor noise through the hose.
That's good information.

When you used the side plate, did you find any significant machine size difference when packing a travel case?

It seems I should remove the humidifier and see how the machine packs in the case. I really don't care to buy a side plate if the machine takes up all of the same section of the case.

Thanks for your patience with me.
.....................................V

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:44 am

VVV wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:29 am
really don't care to buy a side plate if the machine takes up all of the same section of the case.
The side plate cover isn't all that skinny either. It will take up about half the space the water chamber does when packed in the travel bag. There's more to the end plate than just the part covering the hole where the plastic chamber goes.
If you were thinking the end plate was just a thin skinny piece of plastic that wouldn't take up much space....you were wrong.
The side plate cover takes up almost all the room in the section of the travel bag devoted to the plastic water chamber.
You gain very little and certainly not enough to put anything else in that spot except some filters.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

a1albert

Post by a1albert » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:07 am

My side plate for my ResMed 10 takes up about 3/8th of an inch out side of my machine. I think I hear a little more noise.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:31 am

When traveling, I put my p10 mask into the open space on the machine,
and a dry paper towel in the separated tank to absorb excess moisture.
You can put almost anything in the tank that can fit.
I recommend against any kind of contraband, since it is transparent.

a1albert

Post by a1albert » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:46 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:44 am
VVV wrote:
really don't care to buy a side plate if the machine takes up all of the same section of the case.
The side plate cover isn't all that skinny either. It will take up about half the space the water chamber does when packed in the travel bag. There's more to the end plate than just the part covering the hole where the plastic chamber goes.
If you were thinking the end plate was just a thin skinny piece of plastic that wouldn't take up much space....you were wrong.
The side plate cover takes up almost all the room in the section of the travel bag devoted to the plastic water chamber.
You gain very little and certainly not enough to put anything else in that spot except some filters.
Why would you remove the side plate cover to travel?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:57 am

a1albert wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:46 am
Pugsy wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:44 am
VVV wrote:
Why would you remove the side plate cover to travel?
Because I wouldn't want to rip the carrying case trying to cram the blower in its space which is already really tight without adding in the end plate.
The end plate is supposed to fit in the space the water chamber fits.

Maybe you can cram it all in the section for the blower but I didn't want to risk tearing the bag.
Even if you could cram it in there and leave that other space open...I don't know what someone could fit in that space that would be needed.

OP seems to be wanting to save space inside the travel bag....so thinking of using the end plate I guess to save space.
It's not much of a space saving feature in the travel bag to bring the end plate instead of the water chamber.
The end plate cover doesn't take up all the space in the travel bag but it does take up more space than someone might think.
VVV wrote:
I really don't care to buy a side plate if the machine takes up all of the same section of the case.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:36 pm

VVV wrote:
palerider wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:05 pm
That's good information.

When you used the side plate, did you find any significant machine size difference when packing a travel case?

It seems I should remove the humidifier and see how the machine packs in the case. I really don't care to buy a side plate if the machine takes up all of the same section of the case.

Thanks for your patience with me.
Well, there's no humidifier, so that much smaller. You should remove the humidifier and pack it separately when you put the machine in it's case. Without the humidifier, you've got that much extra space.

The side plate only sticks out about a quarter inch.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

VVV

Post by VVV » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:27 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:36 pm
The side plate only sticks out about a quarter inch.
I've checked the case, and an extra quarter-inch will allow the machine with a side plate in place to fit in the machine slot. Now, I'm trying to find the cheapest supplier.

It's easy to find something to pack in the humidifier slot - like mouth gel, mouth tape and my medication.

Comments:

1. Why the hell would a CPAP manufacturer design a case so that the humidifier had to be removed? Just a greater opening for contaminants to enter the machine!

2. The case has slots for the power cord and transformer, and a hose. Well, scheiße, that won't work without a mask. Why not make the case large enough for a section that would hold an FFM?

Am I missing something? Or is this just a case of don't-give-a-damn-about-the-user?
.....................................V

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:22 pm

VVV wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:27 pm

1. Why the hell would a CPAP manufacturer design a case so that the humidifier had to be removed? Just a greater opening for contaminants to enter the machine!
To stop people from carelessly packing it with water still in the Humidifier.

2. The case has slots for the power cord and transformer, and a hose. Well, scheiße, that won't work without a mask. Why not make the case large enough for a section that would hold an FFM?
FFM masks fit fine, maybe a little tight. The rest of the CPAP world has no problem getting it in.