Pressure feels low in the early morning

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gilbetron

Pressure feels low in the early morning

Post by gilbetron » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:24 am

I've been using my cpap for about 4 months, but have noticed that it often seems like the pressure is lower from the early morning hours onward. I have a Resmed Airsense 11, and have the pressure range set to 11-15, I think. It starts out fine, but then if I wake up at 4am or later, it feels like I have to work to pull air in, rather than the feeling of having the air pushed in, if that description makes sense. I don't know if it is psychological, and that I'm just used to the air pressure, or physical, in that the air pressure in my lungs has matched that of the machine, or electronic in that the machine has reduced pressure. I can open my mouth and feel the pressure come out. I've experimented with the "physical" option and let a bunch of air escape out to try to drop my internal pressure, and maybe that helps?

Has anyone experienced this at all? I've gotten pretty good at keeping my mouth shut (I just air cushions/pillows), and wonder if it is just equalized air pressure.

Dog Slobber

Re: Pressure feels low in the early morning

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:06 am

Post some OSCAR graphs, so we can see what the pressure actually is.

CPAP isn't supposed to push air in. I doubt that the pressure is actually lower, it's just you becoming acclimated. Having said that, if it is more comfortable for you to have a bit more pressure, bump your minimum up a centimeter.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:29 am

Most likely your brain is just adjusted to the new "normal".
The brain/body just gets used to the pressure...seems like a lot at the beginning of the night and by later to morning the brain wonders if the machine is even on.
I had that happen to me and it happens to a lot of people.

What feels like hurricane force winds at the beginning of the night changes to a gentle breeze by morning.
Most likely not a lot of difference but it sure feels like a lot of difference.

Use available software to see what the pressure is doing.
OSCAR https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... stallation
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... rpretation

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BuckarooBanzai

Post by BuckarooBanzai » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:23 pm

gilbetron wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:24 am
I've been using my cpap for about 4 months, but have noticed that it often seems like the pressure is lower from the early morning hours onward. I have a Resmed Airsense 11, and have the pressure range set to 11-15, I think. It starts out fine, but then if I wake up at 4am or later, it feels like I have to work to pull air in, rather than the feeling of having the air pushed in, if that description makes sense.
Do you use autoramp? I experienced what sounds like the same problem and finally solved it by turning ramp "off."

My pressure range was 7-15 and I had autoramp set 'on.' When I woke up at 3 AM or so, the machine was at about 11. I'd go back to bed after maybe 15 minutes, and the machine would start me on autoramp again at setting 7. Felt like I was suffocating. And, since autoramp takes about 25 minutes to get up to therapeutic level, I was very uncomfortable.

So, I turned ramp 'off.' Kept my pressure range the same. Problem solved.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:41 pm

BuckarooBanzai wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:23 pm
My pressure range was 7-15 and I had autoramp set 'on.' When I woke up at 3 AM or so, the machine was at about 11. I'd go back to bed after maybe 15 minutes, and the machine would start me on autoramp again at setting 7. Felt like I was suffocating. And, since autoramp takes about 25 minutes to get up to therapeutic level, I was very uncomfortable.

So, I turned ramp 'off.' Kept my pressure range the same. Problem solved.
Your statement makes no sense.

If your pressure setting was 7-15, and your ramp setting was starting at 7, then ramp, auto or not, was doing *nothing*.

Maybe you're missing some facts in your statement.

Also, that's not how autoramp works.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BuckarooBanzai

Post by BuckarooBanzai » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:40 am

palerider wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:41 pm

If your pressure setting was 7-15, and your ramp setting was starting at 7, then ramp, auto or not, was doing *nothing*.

[/quote]

How so?

I've spent too much time watching the ramp process and playing with it. Every night, I start at 7. It slowly works it way up to 9, 10, or whatever. The process is painfully slow. When I wake up at about 3 AM, I check the LCD and it's about 11. So I take off my elephant nose, go to the bathroom or whatever, and then settle back into bed 15-30 minutes later. When I put the mask on, the machine starts back up at 7, and the ramp process starts all over again.

So, what part doesn't make sense?

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:53 am

BuckarooBanzai wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:40 am
palerider wrote:

How so?

I've spent too much time watching the ramp process and playing with it. Every night, I start at 7. It slowly works it way up to 9, 10, or whatever. The process is painfully slow. When I wake up at about 3 AM, I check the LCD and it's about 11. So I take off my elephant nose, go to the bathroom or whatever, and then settle back into bed 15-30 minutes later. When I put the mask on, the machine starts back up at 7, and the ramp process starts all over again.

The part where you're saying your pressure setting was 7-15.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:04 pm

BuckarooBanzai wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:40 am
palerider wrote:

I already explained
you said that your pressure was 7-15 and ramp started at 7, then you made the statement that disconnecting ramp had some mysterious affect.

Whether you had ramp, or autoramp turned on or not, if your pressure was 7-15, then it would start at 7, no matter what.

Ergo, what you've said makes no SENSE

Regardless, it sounds like you should increase your minimum pressure, since you're complaining that 7 is too low.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BuckarooBanzai

Post by BuckarooBanzai » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:46 pm

Yes, my machine is set to start at 7 whether ramp is on or off. My understanding, however, is that when ramp is set 'on,' the machine takes longer to move from 7 up to my therapeutic levels, while if the ramp is 'off,' the machine is free to adapt and move the pressure up faster. Does that make sense?

No matter. I am one of the very fortunate individuals for whom CPAP therapy works well, despite my lack of precise understanding of the issue. I sleep soundly and my numbers are great. I cannot believe my good luck. So, no, I won't be making any changes.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:05 pm

BuckarooBanzai wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:46 pm
Yes, my machine is set to start at 7 whether ramp is on or off. My understanding, however, is that when ramp is set 'on,' the machine takes longer to move from 7 up to my therapeutic levels, while if the ramp is 'off,' the machine is free to adapt and move the pressure up faster. Does that make sense?
That's not how Ramp works.

With Ramp, you set a ramp pressure, and a ramp time. The Ramp time will be lower than your minimum therapeutic pressure. Then when you turn your device on, the pressure will start at your ramp pressure and gradually increase to your minimum therapeutic pressure over the the period specified by ramp time.

During Ramp no events aren't being monitored and no therapeutic pressure changes will occur.

Auto Ramp behaves different than timed ramp. Instead of the ramp period ending based on a ramp time, it will end based on whether it believes your asleep. It also monitors events and will end ramp, if it sees enough events.