Mask type settings -- how are they different?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
guswah

Mask type settings -- how are they different?

Post by guswah » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:36 am

How do I set my Phillips Dreamwear full face mask on the Airsense 10 control panel?

For months I have been using the Resmed F20 which is a full face mask covering the nose. According to the branding, the Phillips Dreamwear I've just acquired is also called a "full face" mask, but it doesn't cover the nose at all. It sits under the nose with a cushion, much like a straight nasal mask such as the Resmed N30i. (Please note that I'm NOT talking about the types with nasal pillows that insert into the nostrils.) Both the Dreamwear full face mask and the Resmed N30i nasal mask have a silicon cushion with holes, and that cushion sits snugly under the nose.

So what does the Airsense do with these different settings? Does it somehow send more (or less) pressure? Is one setting more forgiving than another for monitoring mask seal? I don't get it.

Last night I used the Phillips Dreamwear "full face" mask for the first time and really liked it. Unfortunately the report this morning was not great. I lost the green smiley face for mask seal, even though I hadn't noticed any unusual leakage. Should I be setting the Airsense to "nasal" rather than "full face" for this mask? I hope someone can comment on this in a helpful way.
ResMed AirSense 10, AirMini, F20 mask, bitchin' big battery in case I need a nap in the field

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Mask type settings -- how are they different?

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:49 am

I suspect the PR "mask resistance" numbers are merely BS to make you think
their masks need to be used only with their machines.
Resmed has mask type in English--
Simply use the mask type setting that matches your mask.
Except for some travel machines, any mask can be used with any machine.
Just ignore the Respironics baloney.
One night is not significant, and you need time to settle in to this mask.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:00 pm

The DreamWear full face mask is still considered a full face mask even though the nose isn't covered like we traditionally think of the nose being covered with full face masks.
The nostrils are still part of the sealed circuit no matter if it sealed with an under the nose cushion or an over the nose cushion.

For the ResMed mask settings...the DreamWear is a full face mask.
We are never really told exactly how the different settings work or what they do but we suspect partly minor resistance adjustments and also leak calculations.

If you got Mr Frowny face with the new DreamWear on your ResMed machine and you had the mask setting at "full face" then the mask didn't seal so great last night for any number of reasons.

You might want to use OSCAR software and see exactly what the leaks were doing. Just because you don't feel any leak initially doesn't mean the mask can't move around later and lose seal.

OSCAR https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... stallation
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... rpretation

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

guswah

Post by guswah » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:27 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:00 pm
The DreamWear full face mask is still considered a full face mask even though the nose isn't covered like we traditionally think of the nose being covered with full face masks.
The nostrils are still part of the sealed circuit no matter if it sealed with an under the nose cushion or an over the nose cushion.

For the ResMed mask settings...the DreamWear is a full face mask.
We are never really told exactly how the different settings work or what they do but we suspect partly minor resistance adjustments and also leak calculations.

If you got Mr Frowny face with the new DreamWear on your ResMed machine and you had the mask setting at "full face" then the mask didn't seal so great last night for any number of reasons.

You might want to use OSCAR software and see exactly what the leaks were doing. Just because you don't feel any leak initially doesn't mean the mask can't move around later and lose seal.

OSCAR https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... stallation
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... rpretation
Thanks, Pugsy. That is all very helpful, although I fail to see how the Dreamwear's under-the-nose system is different from any other under-the-nose nasal mask. Regardless, I'll check out the problem on OSCAR as you suggest.
ResMed AirSense 10, AirMini, F20 mask, bitchin' big battery in case I need a nap in the field

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:56 pm

guswah wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:27 pm
I fail to see how the Dreamwear's under-the-nose system is different from any other under-the-nose nasal mask.
The under the nose cushions that constitute "nasal" mask settings don't cover the mouth. If the mouth isn't covered it's not part of the circuit and doesn't meet criteria for a "full face mask".

Full face just means nose and mouth are both covered and part of the sealed circuit....doesn't matter how it is accomplished.

Now if your DreamWear mask didn't cover your mouth then you don't have the DreamWear full face mask...instead you have the DreamWear Nasal cushion mask.

ResMed has a full face mask product very similar to the DreamWear full face mask

The ResMed AirFit F30i
https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-apne ... rfit-f30i/

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

guswah

Post by guswah » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:11 pm

I think there are actually three or more full-face masks offered that are under the nose. I looked at Resmed's, but it was double the cost, and nothing about it seemed to justify the amount. I have the feeling that Resmed sets its prices based on how much it can get.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:42 pm

guswah wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:11 pm
I think there are actually three or more full-face masks offered that are under the nose. I looked at Resmed's, but it was double the cost, and nothing about it seemed to justify the amount. I have the feeling that Resmed sets its prices based on how much it can get.

Resmed does enjoy a good reputation.
One of the perks of a good "rep" is that you can get paid more.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:32 pm

"Under the nose" is a NASAL mask.

One that covers the mouth is a full face mask.

That's all.

guswah

Post by guswah » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:19 pm

Yes, I'm perfectly aware that under-the-nose is a "nasal" mask. I guess you didn't read my original post.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:17 am

guswah wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:19 pm
Yes, I'm perfectly aware that under-the-nose is a "nasal" mask. I guess you didn't read my original post.
Nothing at all new there, sadly, she usually doesn't.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:04 pm

guswah wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:36 am
So what does the Airsense do with these different settings? Does it somehow send more (or less) pressure? Is one setting more forgiving than another for monitoring mask seal? I don't get it.
I've measured small pressure differences with the different mask settings.

The various things in the 'patient circuit' between the blower and your face all add some resistance to airflow, whether or not you're using the humidifier, what size and length hose you have, and indeed, the type of mask. The machine automatically compensates for humidifier resistance, and automatically sets the hose type if it's a heated hose, otherwise you need to set the hose type appropriately, all these things affect the actual pressure at your face, so the machine is trying to get the most accurate resulting pressure, and the more things it knows to compensate for, the more accurate the pressure is.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:20 pm

palerider wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:04 pm
The various things in the 'patient circuit' between the blower and your face all add some resistance to airflow,
Which is likely the reason that Respironics backed away from using bacteria filters.
Well plus they do nothing to block the suspected off gassing.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?