Newbie – saying hello

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Thaitanic

Newbie – saying hello

Post by Thaitanic » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:04 pm

Just joined and thought I would say hello , I’m originally from England but retired from work and living in Thailand with my Thai wife . Some years ago on my last trip back to the UK I experienced some sleeping issues and mild heart issues . I had a sleep test done and was advised to purchase a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset. When back in Thailand I started to use the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset machine and my sleep issue symptoms over time reduced. So I foolishly stopped using the machine , but now my past sleeping issues have returned back. My problem is that after the machine has now not been used for well over a year , I have to start all over again setting things up and many of the past machine settings I can’t now remember ( my memory is not so good at 72 years old :roll: ) . Ive got my fingers firmly crossed that with the kind help of other members here I can once more setup my ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset , and start again to reduce my sleep issue symptoms.

A pirates treasure and a life of leisure :)

remoo1

Re: Newbie – saying hello

Post by remoo1 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:10 am

Your pressure settings should be the same

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:41 am

Do you still have a copy (or can you get another) of your test results? If you post them here we can get a look (please stay in this thread for all your stuff) and advise at least general settings and then help you get Oscar set up - it's a really comprehensive program that will show how you're doing in detail, and let experts here advise on whatever may need tweaking.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:12 am

Thaitanic wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:04 pm
My problem is that after the machine has now not been used for well over a year , I have to start all over again setting things up and many of the past machine settings I can’t now remember ( my memory is not so good at 72 years old ) .
Has someone changed the settings since you quit using it? If not, you can start where you stopped with the same settings.

If you want to know what the machine settings are, this video explains how to get into the clinical menu and view the settings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcPp1i0XuYU

Thaitanic

Post by Thaitanic » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:32 am

remoo1 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:10 am
Your pressure settings should be the same

Thanks for the advice , I’m going to check . 👍

Thaitanic

Post by Thaitanic » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:34 am

Julie wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:41 am
Do you still have a copy (or can you get another) of your test results? If you post them here we can get a look (please stay in this thread for all your stuff) and advise at least general settings and then help you get Oscar set up - it's a really comprehensive program that will show how you're doing in detail, and let experts here advise on whatever may need tweaking.

Thanks for the comment , I do have a copy of the sleep test report . I’m going to install Oscar on my Mac computer. Should I post my past sleep test report information in this same topic ( Newbie – saying hello ) or should I start a new topic about my past sleep test results.

Thaitanic

Post by Thaitanic » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:35 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:12 am
Thaitanic wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:04 pm
My problem is that after the machine has now not been used for well over a year , I have to start all over again setting things up and many of the past machine settings I can’t now remember ( my memory is not so good at 72 years old ) .
Has someone changed the settings since you quit using it? If not, you can start where you stopped with the same settings.

If you want to know what the machine settings are, this video explains how to get into the clinical menu and view the settings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcPp1i0XuYU

Hi and thanks for your comment and youtube link , my ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset machine was I think put back in its case around 18 months ago and never used again. I have just got the machine out of its case to give it a clean , but Ive not yet switched it on.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:31 am

Yes please stay here so we can follow what's what and not have to dig for previous info somewhere else.

Thaitanic

Post by Thaitanic » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:02 am

Julie wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:31 am
Yes please stay here so we can follow what's what and not have to dig for previous info somewhere else.
Many thanks Julie , its appreciated . So a quick run down .

I was living permanently in Thailand and had to fly back to the UK to attend a funeral . A few months before flying back to the UK I had been experiencing some problems when going to sleep at night. I could drop off to sleep with out a problem , but during the night I would suddenly wake up with a feeling that some thing was sticking in / blocking my throat. I would get up and drink a glass of water and go back to bed , and normally then sleep until around 6 am. These symptoms happened most nights.

While in the UK my symptoms (suddenly wake up with a feeling that some thing was sticking in / blocking my throat ) increased so I consulted a doctor who advised me to have a sleep test ( polysomnography ). I had the sleep test done , where I had to sleep in hospital over night .

I was due to fly back to Thailand two days after the sleep test was carried out. I managed to have a quick consultation with the doctor , who advised that I should buy a cpap machine . I purchased a new ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet .

The doctor made no real mention of the severity of my sleep apnea condition , he only recommended that I use the cpap machine , loose some weight , change my diet and stop drinking alcohol . The doctor did also recommend that I start taking the drug Omeprazole as I may also be suffering from Reflux Acid .

When I returned back to Thailand I started to use my new ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet machine , also I went on a diet and started to use Omeprazole capsules every night. Over time my symptoms disappeared , so foolishly I stopped using the machine . Now my symptoms have returned .

I know that I made a big mistake when I stopped using the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet machine and I really hope that I have not caused my self more damage . I have read the sleep report again ( never really took it all in in before ) and now seeing the high numbers , its making me feel very worried and concerned.

I have attached the sleep test summery page ( 10 pages in all )

Attachments
Sleep Report 1.jpg
Sleep Report 1.jpg (97.71 KiB) Viewed 1110 times

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:08 am

Hi = just for the record I'll send you a PM in a few minutes... not so relevant to the above (though may well be so), but thought you might be interested in looking into something.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:23 am

I just wanted to add my welcome. Your sleep study showed that you have severe apnea, so you do need to stick with using the machine to protect your long-term health and improve your day-to-day functioning.

You have an excellent machine there! As others have suggested, the settings that were programmed into the machine will still be there when you fire it up again. Do go into the clinical settings and see what the minimum and maximum pressures are. Please also check whether there is EPR turned on (expiratory pressure relief, which drops the pressure a bit when you exhale), and if there is, what level it is.

It's great you're going to get set up with Oscar. Please do post a daily chart when you've used the machine overnight.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:06 pm

Thaitanic wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:02 am
Thaitanic
Be careful about this:
Ju lie wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:08 am
Hi = just for the record I'll send you a PM in a few minutes... not so relevant to the above (though may well be so), but thought you might be interested in looking into something.
Julie has a habit of offering advice hidden from expert users in the forum. You are better off following advice posted in the open and having a chance for more capable users to comment - a type of peer review.

rick blaine

Post by rick blaine » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:35 pm

Hi Thaitanic,

In case your doctors didn't spell it out for you:

In addition to the fatigue, and the risk of falling asleep at the wheel, patients with sleep apnea have a higher risk of future problems. The 'big five' are:

– higher blood pressure – which is resistant to drug treatment, unless on CPAP;
– greater risk of atrial fibrilation and other arrhythmias;
– weight gain;
– diabetes or metabolic syndrome;
– sudden death.

Sleep apnea treatment has two parallel aims. One is to reduce the fatigue – the most common 'presenting symptom' – and what may follow from that. The other aim is to prevent or forestall the 'big five' above.

So even if – for you – 'over time my symptoms disappeared' – a patient with your sleep study numbers needs to continue the treatment.

This isn't a 'self-limiting condition' – ie, one that runs its course, and then things go back to normal. This is a treatment you need for the rest of your life.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:41 pm

Granny - not at all your business how I choose to comment, but FYI it was NOT 'advice' - I was however trying to keep something quiet that I thought the OP might appreciate.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:41 pm

Julie wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:41 pm
I was however trying to keep something quiet that I thought the OP might appreciate.
Whispering to the boys about sleep apnea causing ED? :lol:

It's not a banned topic here.