Vehicle car battery as a CPAP power source?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Vehicle car battery as a CPAP power source?

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:03 pm

jim22 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:16 pm
The battery is not marked with Ah.
Congrats, you bought yourself a marine STARTING battery, discharging that more than about 15% will damage it.

Last edited by palerider on Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Justin Case

Post by Justin Case » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:27 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:33 pm
The first thing you will need is the correct 12V cable for your cpap. The Re$med cable converts 12V to 24V for use by the re$med cpap. So you will need to know the make and model of your cpap when ordering the cable. If in doubt call them to ask....
https://www.cpap.com/plp/cpap-power-cords/ZT0zMTE
But why would I need to purchase a Resmed adapter if I am using an AC/DC converter connected to the battery terminals like this one? My Resmed power adapter/supply is rated at 90 watts.
JC

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:44 pm

Justin Case wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:27 pm
SleepGeek wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:33 pm
The first thing you will need is the correct 12V cable for your cpap. The Re$med cable converts 12V to 24V for use by the re$med cpap. So you will need to know the make and model of your cpap when ordering the cable. If in doubt call them to ask....
https://www.cpap.com/plp/cpap-power-cords/ZT0zMTE
But why would I need to purchase a Resmed adapter if I am using an AC/DC converter connected to the battery terminals like this one? My Resmed power adapter/supply is rated at 90 watts.
Because you're going to waste a lot (as much as half) of the battery capacity in the inverter, they tend to be quite inefficient compared to the DC/DC converter.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Justin Case

Post by Justin Case » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:03 am

palerider wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:44 pm
Because you're going to waste a lot (as much as half) of the battery capacity in the inverter, they tend to be quite inefficient compared to the DC/DC converter.
Thanks for that info. I had no idea. However, the link you provided appears to show the exact same power adapter as I currently use for the AirSense 10. The DC/DC is confusing. If you're referring to this one it's almost a $100. It's quite pricey. I'd rather drain the battery and return it to Costco if I can't recharge it.
JC

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:04 am

SleepGeek wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:18 pm
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:00 pm
Justin Case wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:34 pm
I can always stay at a motel which would be cheaper.
That's my kind of backup!
IF they have power.
Try to keep up.

Justin Case wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:02 am
There's a planned power outage in my apartment in the near future.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:54 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:04 am
SleepGeek wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:18 pm
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:00 pm
Justin Case wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:34 pm
That's my kind of backup!
IF they have power.
Try to keep up.

Justin Case wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:02 am
There's a planned power outage in my apartment in the near future.
Doing my best.

Cuz it's planned - does that mean that hotels won't be affected?
SleepyCPAP wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:26 pm
Justin Case said:
I tried that once. The hotels were full. Everyone had that same idea during the power outage - plus all the electric repair crews and tree removal crews were flooding the area and taking up rooms. There weren’t rooms left for me. :(
fwiw - Battery power is my Plan A ...
not B or C.
But hey that's me.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

SAG

Post by SAG » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:05 am

Justin Case wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:27 pm
I'm thinking you've not done much research on this project.
palerider wrote:
Paraphrasing Ghandi - be the change you wish to see in the world.
Paraphrasing JohnnyGoodman - Beware the person who wishes to legislate the morality and the behavior of his neighbor.
https://cutt.ly/GbE7ltf

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:51 am

Justin Case wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:03 am
palerider wrote:
Thanks for that info. I had no idea. However, the link you provided appears to show the exact same power adapter as I currently use for the AirSense 10. The DC/DC is confusing. If you're referring to this one it's almost a $100. It's quite pricey. I'd rather drain the battery and return it to Costco if I can't recharge it.
Understood.

It's more important for you to save money at the expense of the next customer, who will then buy the battery you've damaged. There's a pretty good chance that the damaged battery's reduced life span or capacity will not be apparent during their warranty period.

Sadly you come here, ask for advice, and then use the knowledge you've gained to screw over other people, so you can save money.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:56 am

How long is the planned power outage?
If only a few hours, I would stay awake, and take the following day off to sleep.
If several days, I would consider legal action against the landlord.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:32 pm

Justin Case wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:03 am
palerider wrote:
While you certainly can be ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE, and knowingly break something and abuse Costco's generous return policy, I hope you'll at least feel bad about yourself for doing so.

Perhaps if I'd described the DC converter as "the appropriate 12 volt adapter cord for your machine" you'd have been less confused, but yes, you found the official Resmed adapter.

If you're happy being a sleaze, knowingly abusing something (their return policy), *AND* getting half the number of nights use out of the battery, well then, more power to you.

Justin Case

Post by Justin Case » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:42 pm

palerider wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:32 pm
While you certainly can be ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE, and knowingly break something and abuse Costco's generous return policy, I hope you'll at least feel bad about yourself for doing so.

Perhaps if I'd described the DC converter as "the appropriate 12 volt adapter cord for your machine" you'd have been less confused, but yes, you found the official Resmed adapter.

If you're happy being a sleaze, knowingly abusing something (their return policy), *AND* getting half the number of nights use out of the battery, well then, more power to you.
Oh good Lord. I can appreciate not living in the USA where people have a twisted mindset where they feel it's their right to storm Capital Hill, where a President admitted he can kill someone in broad daylight and he'd still have supporters.

I am just looking for a temporary solution here. You can call me a sleaze, be a troll all you want. I have a fixed income. I'm not an engineer. A battery is a battery to me. I told Costco my intentions, and they told me to return the battery if it doesn't suit my needs.

Judge me all you want to make yourself feel good. That's what trolls do online.

I'm exiting this thread since there's no moderation here. Have a great day.
JC

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:51 pm

Justin Case wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:42 pm
palerider wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:32 pm

Oh good Lord. I can appreciate not living in the USA where people have a twisted mindset where they feel it's their right to storm Capital Hill, where a President admitted he can kill someone in broad daylight and he'd still have supporters.
Well, that took an abrupt hard right turn.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:52 pm

Justin Case wrote:

pugsy is moderator here. you can bet that she has read this thread. and you can further bet that she has seen nothing to moderate.

you aren't being trolled. you are getting people's opinion. on you whether it makes you feel bad or not.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:55 pm

Justin Case wrote:
As a moderator on a few other forums I would have shut you down for encouraging unethical behavior.

Since you'll come back and check anyway, the scooter battery Pugsy suggested above is a better choice. There is a great battery thread. Skip to the end of it and buy what you need for the long term for less money than you've already spent.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:58 pm

loggerhead12 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:55 pm
Justin Case wrote:
As a moderator on a few other forums I would have shut you down for encouraging unethical behavior.
That cracked me up. well done sir.
loggerhead12 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:55 pm
Since you'll come back and check anyway, the scooter battery Pugsy suggested above is a better choice. There is a great battery thread. Skip to the end of it and buy what you need for the long term for less money than you've already spent.
He'll probably just buy, and return, another battery the next time there's a "planned outage", (what about the unplanned ones?) :roll: