WSJ. Sleep Apnea Sufferers Scramble After Philips Recall of Critical Machine; Prices soar for alternate devices………..

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Chuck Connors

WSJ. Sleep Apnea Sufferers Scramble After Philips Recall of Critical Machine; Prices soar for alternate devices………..

Post by Chuck Connors » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:07 am

Sleep Apnea Sufferers Scramble After Philips Recall of Critical Machine; Prices soar for alternate devices and some users try a do-it- yourself fix after machines are found to emit potentially harmful gases, particles
Rendleman, Julia . Wall Street Journal (Online); 15 Aug 2021.

Aaron Horton, a sleep apnea sufferer, stops breathing for brief periods hundreds of times every night. To keep his oxygen levels up, he uses a device made by Royal Philips NV that is now subject to a huge recall by the Dutch healthcare conglomerate. It warned in June that the machines could be sending potentially cancer-causing particles into users' airways.

When Mr. Horton, a 30-year-old paramedic from Glen Allen, Va., called his medical-device supplier for an alternative, he was told none was available. For now, he is continuing to use the Philips machine.

"Every night, I feel like I'm having to pick between cancerous inhalants and my oxygen saturation dropping," he said.

He is one of roughly two million people across the U.S. affected by the recall. Philips has said an internal sound- dampening foam could release potentially harmful gases or particles. Philips has promised to repair or replace affected machines, but says it will take around a year to do so.

Since the recall was announced, doctors have been inundated with calls from worried patients. Prices for machines made by Philips' main competitor, ResMed Inc., have shot up and the devices are becoming more difficult to get. Some patients, feeling ping-ponged between Philips, medical-device suppliers, doctors and insurers, are taking matters into their own hands, either by removing the foam themselves or bypassing insurance to buy new or used machines out of pocket.

The recall affects mainly devices known as CPAP and BiPaP machines, which gently push air into the lungs and are primarily used to treat sleep apnea. Without treatment, sleep apnea sufferers can go on to develop serious long-term conditions such as high blood pressure, stroke, diabetes and heart problems. Untreated sleep apnea is also a major cause of road traffic accidents, due to sleep deprivation, according to a 2018 study in BMC Medicine. Nearly 24 million people in the U.S. suffer from moderate or severe sleep apnea, according to a 2019 study in The Lancet Respiratory Medicine, although most are undiagnosed.

The Food and Drug Administration has given the recall its most serious classification, meaning there is a reasonable probability that using the device could lead to serious health issues.

In many cases, though, the risks of withdrawing treatment likely outweigh those posed by the device itself, according to Asha Singh, director of sleep medicine at the Oregon Health &Science University. She is trying to obtain alternative devices for patients affected by the recall. But in cases where she can't, she is generally advising patients to continue using their machine.

"The patients are on it for a reason," Dr. Singh said. "I'm really worried about patients with serious cardiovascular issues stopping their machines." OHSU has hired around eight new nurses to staff a 24-hour hotline to field the deluge of calls about the recall.

One challenge for doctors is that Philips hasn't supplied much detail about the complaints that led to the recall, which makes it difficult to assess the risks of continued use. In its recall notice, Philips said the number of complaints was small compared with the total number of devices sold, around 0.03% in 2020, and that no deaths had been reported.

Chief Executive Frans van Houten on a recent call with investors said the recall assumed a "worst case scenario," and that Philips was conducting tests to ascertain the level of risk posed by affected machines. A Philips spokesman said the company was committed to addressing the issue as quickly as possible, and that it regretted the inconveniences the issue has caused.

"We still don't have any information on exactly what the risk and symptoms are," said Raman Malhotra, president of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Dr. Malhotra, who treats patients at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, is fielding dozens of calls a day from concerned patients.

Dennis Burger, a 49-year-old freelance technology journalist and editor who lives in Montgomery, Ala., spent a month trying to get a new device. He said his doctor, his insurer, Philips and his medical-device supplier all pointed him to one of the others for help.

"Stopping [treatment] was not an option for me," he said. "I was stuck between this proverbial rock and hard place and not sure where to go." He resorted to buying a used ResMed machine for around $300 because the prices for new machines had doubled to around $1,000.

ResMed doesn't sell its devices directly to patients but through intermediaries known as durable medical equipment suppliers, or DMEs. The cost is usually covered by insurance, but patients can also pay out of pocket as long as they have a prescription.

A ResMed spokesman said the company hadn't increased its average selling prices to retailers. Johnny Goodman, president and chief executive of online supplier CPAP.com, where the price for a popular ResMed model has risen from $598 to $974.99 since the recall, declined to comment. Several other suppliers have made similar price increases.

Philips' sleep division has devoted its entire manufacturing capacity to making replacement machines for customers affected by the recall and is taking no new orders.

ResMed Chief Executive Mick Farrell said on a recent investor call that the rise in demand following the Philips recall was so high that the company has started to give priority to patients with the greatest need. He added that the company plans to ramp up its production capacity, but that global electronic component shortages will constrain those efforts.

Brett Young, 49, opted to keep using his Philips machine because buying a new one would be too expensive. Mr. Young, an IT administrator from Washington, D.C., also figured that since he hadn't experienced any symptoms, his machine probably wasn't harming him. "I'm not frightened enough to buy a new one," he said. Michael Nover of Spokane, Wash., resorted to a YouTube video showing how to remove the foam from certain machines affected by the recall. The 64-year-old used the de-foamed machine for a few weeks until he was able to get a new device from ResMed through his insurance.

Goofproof

Re: WSJ. Sleep Apnea Sufferers Scramble After Philips Recall of Critical Machine; Prices soar for alternate devices………..

Post by Goofproof » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:57 am

DUH! Old news, what island have you been marooned on. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

zonker

Re: WSJ. Sleep Apnea Sufferers Scramble After Philips Recall of Critical Machine; Prices soar for alternate devices………..

Post by zonker » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:09 pm

from the article-

"We still don't have any information on exactly what the risk and symptoms are," said Raman Malhotra, president of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Dr. Malhotra, who treats patients at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, is fielding dozens of calls a day from concerned patients."

well, DUH!

also from the article(and i find hilarious)-

"A ResMed spokesman said the company hadn't increased its average selling prices to retailers. Johnny Goodman, president and chief executive of online supplier CPAP.com, where the price for a popular ResMed model has risen from $598 to $974.99 since the recall, declined to comment."

supply and DEMAND, baby.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:40 pm

. . . And worth every penny

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:42 pm

zonker wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:09 pm
supply and DEMAND, baby.
:lol: :lol: Big surprise there. Doing a quick search of the online retailers that I know about almost all have increased the price from what it was 6 months ago. Inflation baby, inflation.
While I know that ResMed dictates MSRP that gets advertised for their products...I don't know if it pertains to increases as well as selling at a discount which they specifically prohibit with their contracts to online sellers.
In general in the past when we see ResMed stuff "on sale"....it was because ResMed said to put it "on sale".
That's why we would see the same "on sale" prices all over the internet.

Original MSRP for the AirSense 10 AutoSet was 883. Some places are still offering it at that price but when you go check...out of stock or other limitations.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:30 pm

I would not be surprised that availability is linked to selling price;
that is, if Johnny kept the original price, he could expect slower resupply.
Of course, he is likely prohibited from commenting.

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:08 pm

A ResMed spokesman said the company hadn't increased its average selling prices to retailers. Johnny Goodman, president and chief executive of online supplier CPAP.com, where the price for a popular ResMed model has risen from $598 to $974.99 since the recall, declined to comment. Several other suppliers have made similar price increases.
I thought that I read here a few weeks back that ResMed DOES direct, to their suppliers (DME's), what price they should be advertising.

...and that was thought to be the reason behind the increase in prices we've seen lately on these machines.

It would be nice...if CPAP.com's CEO did not DECLINE to comment on the point made in the article.
A ResMed spokesman literally said that they had NOT increased selling prices to retailers...

So, in my mind...the retailers (DME's) who raised prices right after the recall are NO different than the local gas stations and other retailers who take advantage of consumers and raise prices after a natural disaster (i.e. hurricane).

yea, yea...I know this is not going to be a popular post...but I call it like I see (read) it.
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:44 pm

I do think that the 598 selling price (down from original MSRP 883) was before the recall and probably was an attempted inventory reduction in anticipation of the release of the AirSense 11 so that retailers would order new stuff from ResMed.
I know that I saw 598 all over the internet for a while...wasn't just cpap.com.

Did ResMed pass along a chip increase price? Will they say "we didn't want to increase the price but had to because of the cost to manufacture".....which goes along with what a lot of manufacturers are saying about anything right now.
Or simple price gouging?

Rhetorical question....we don't have anyway to know the answer to that. There are computer chips in these machines.
But if that is a legit factor do we want to quibble over price right now and the item is in stock or be told "after January when maybe we will have some chips".

EVERYTHING costs more now...IF you can find what you want.

We went shopping the other day for a brush hog for the field....just wanted to see a particular model...fat chance of even looking at it....back ordered at least 3 months. No one is keeping much inventory in stock because they can't get it and don't hold your breath on any discounts or sales on anything right now. Not going to happen.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:08 pm

JLROhio wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:08 pm
I thought that I read here a few weeks back that ResMed DOES direct, to their suppliers (DME's), what price they should be advertising.

...and that was thought to be the reason behind the increase in prices we've seen lately on these machines.

It would be nice...if CPAP.com's CEO did not DECLINE to comment on the point made in the article.
A ResMed spokesman literally said that they had NOT increased selling prices to retailers...

So, in my mind...the retailers (DME's) who raised prices right after the recall are NO different than the local gas stations and other retailers who take advantage of consumers and raise prices after a natural disaster (i.e. hurricane).

yea, yea...I know this is not going to be a popular post...but I call it like I see (read) it.
Many of us build up a supply of things we need to get over rough spots, 0thers get caught unprepared. If you think things are bad now, wait for the saved money to de-value to nothing. With luck you will have enough flower to use the money as wall paper. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire