What off the shelf portable power source for air sense 10?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dog Slobber

Re: What off the shelf portable power source for air sense 10?

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:46 am

Tony415 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:05 am
Yeah, limited budget is difficult.
I would go with a car battery. Or even just use it from the battery in the vehicle he drives to the camp. Just start the vehicle every day to charge the battery. He does not need to buy extra battery just for going camping once awhile.
The advice to just start the vehicle everyday is poor advice.

Depending on how deep the battery is drained, charging it back to levels sufficient to run a second night of CPAP would likely mean starting your car and running it for hours.

Car batteries are not meant to be deeply discharged, this advice will also damage the battery.

Tony415

Post by Tony415 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:13 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:46 am
Tony415 wrote:
I would go with a car battery. Or even just use it from the battery in the vehicle he drives to the camp. Just start the vehicle every day to charge the battery. He does not need to buy extra battery just for going camping once awhile.

Depending on how deep the battery is drained, charging it back to levels sufficient to run a second night of CPAP would likely mean starting your car and running it for hours.

Car batteries are not meant to be deeply discharged, this advice will also damage the battery.
then he can go with 50Ah deep cycle LifePo4 battery as I recommend from beginning. Those little tool battery may not even get through one night 8h sleeping. Or he can go with the recommended of member ChicagoGranny: "He can get a 55AH SLA AGM battery for around $170. Much better choice." Camping once a while either you pay for the battery or pay for fuel starting the vehicle to charge the battery. One night he can use up 7-8Ah for the battery capacity (max) then the car can charge it to make it up 7-8Ah in one hour. I hope he get the point that many people here pointing out and make a good decision. If the car battery would get damaged after camping trip, your car needs a new battery any way. It's just hidden there and show up when you go camping.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:27 pm

If you can find one in stock get it - bonus you can replace the battery when needed.
https://www.searshometownstores.com/pro ... Power-1150
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:31 pm

Poor Jake. After all of this advice, why not just go for the whole enchilada - https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/ ?

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:43 pm

Tony415 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:13 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:46 am
Tony415 wrote:

then he can go with 50Ah deep cycle LifePo4 battery as I recommend from beginning. Those little tool battery may not even get through one night 8h sleeping. Or he can go with the recommended of member ChicagoGranny: "He can get a 55AH SLA AGM battery for around $170. Much better choice." Camping once a while either you pay for the battery or pay for fuel starting the vehicle to charge the battery. One night he can use up 7-8Ah for the battery capacity (max) then the car can charge it to make it up 7-8Ah in one hour. I hope he get the point that many people here pointing out and make a good decision. If the car battery would get damaged after camping trip, your car needs a new battery any way. It's just hidden there and show up when you go camping.
Is this how you always react when you get called out for giving bad advice?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:06 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:31 pm
Poor Jake. After all of this advice, why not just go for the whole enchilada - https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/ ?
:lol: :lol: You know I am drooling over that new truck (being a truck person) but the sticker shock nearly sends me to the ER every time I see it.

Both my trucks are now thankfully paid off and I can buy one helluva battery for what one truck payment for that new truck is going to be.

But it doesn't stop me from drooling a bit. :lol:

And using the truck battery for me is a non starter if I were wanting overnight camping. I wouldn't risk killing it by over discharging because I can buy 3 scooter batteries for what one truck battery for my F350 costs. Those puppies are pricey and I have to have 2 of them.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:07 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:31 pm
Could it be price?
No way I would depend on a ford to power my life saving breathing machine but hey that's me.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Tony415

Post by Tony415 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:56 pm

I am sorry If you think my recommend is bad. So you should not use the car starter battery for running CPAP machine when going camping out door. I just want to share my thought. Have a nice day to all.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:14 pm

Tony415 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:56 pm
I am sorry If you think my recommend is bad. So you should not use the car starter battery for running CPAP machine when going camping out door. I just want to share my thought. Have a nice day to all.
You know it was a thought but a thought that comes with some potential contraindications that needs to be taken into account.
So yeah..maybe the battery was close to its end of life and discharging it using a cpap machine accelerated that end of life but maybe it damaged the battery so bad it wouldn't even hold enough charge to jump start...or maybe the people are out in the boonies and there is no available jump start...or maybe someone is like me and to kill a battery with a cpap means a much pricier replacement battery for the vehicle.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:19 pm

Tony415 wrote:
No, using the starter battery in a vehicle is always a bad idea. The batteries aren't designed for that, they're designed to give a quick burst of energy and be immediately recharged.

How many times have people left a light on in the car and come back to a battery that can't even start the car?

If someone wants to do car camping, get a deep cycle battery and then recharge it however, that's a vastly superior method.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Tony415

Post by Tony415 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:36 pm

I agree now. An external power source to run cpap machine. My recommend to use starter battery is stupid.
I wishes you all well.
Jake00, happy camping.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:38 pm

Tony415 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:36 pm
My recommend to use starter battery is stupid.
Let's just say it was suboptimal.
Tony415 wrote:
Jake00, happy camping.
Jake doesn't mention camping in this thread. Maybe you read his thread from 2018 where he was struggling with the battery decision.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:43 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:38 pm
Tony415 wrote:
Jake00, happy camping.
Jake doesn't mention camping in this thread. Maybe you read his thread from 2018 where he was struggling with the battery decision.
Can we add parking your car in your bedroom and running it for a few hours is another reason that advice was poor?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:19 pm

Tony415 wrote:
for a shorter time

Before sharing your thoughts on a forum, it pays to know the facts, others may think your ideas are correct and follow them, or worse pass them on as facts.

Car starting batteries are built to put out high amps for a short time (cranking) not a slow study slow drain. Car starter batteries are built for that use, a non-marine deep cycle battery is made for slower output for longer times, and can withstand more draw down with less damage. Even then the correct battery for each job can be damaged by not following it's rules. By far the correct battery is the better one to choose. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:26 pm

It's okay....that is why we are here...to learn...not to pile on and beat a dead horse to further death.

Let it go folks. Thank you in advance.
Tony415 wrote:
I agree now. An external power source to run cpap machine. My recommend to use starter battery is stupid.