** Philips - Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript 7/26/21 - IMPORTANT Recall Information ** (Updated w/ResMed Earnings Call)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JLROhio

** Philips - Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript 7/26/21 - IMPORTANT Recall Information ** (Updated w/ResMed Earnings Call)

Post by JLROhio » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:28 pm

So...Tonight I was listening to Earnings Calls to try and hear of anything good (or bad) as it relates to stocks I own. It's earnings reporting season right now and publicly traded companies host "Earnings Calls" for their investors, with questions generally asked by financial publications (think Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, etc...). These earnings calls are mostly boring but again, I'm looking for nuggets of info that might make me either buy or sell more shares of stock.

Anyway, no one really cares about that...hopefully you're still reading though. :wink:

Then it occurred to me!! :shock: Philips is a publicly traded company - surely they'd have an earnings call - and I'm sure there would be nuggets of info there that the company has to disclose to their investors and the analysts who rate/rank the companies...especially after they financial hit they are going to take with the recall.

Philips had an earnings call on Jul 26, 2021
I did not recall seeing anything about this on these boards - maybe it's on other CPAP boards but not here...and here is where I follow 99% of CPAP discussions.

So, I pulled up the transcript of their most recent earnings call (July 26th) and read through it.
It's right here if anyone wants to see it ---> https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-tran ... gn=article

I'm going to post all the parts of the earnings call that discussed CPAP below...there is a LOT of info in here - I'm not even going to start to discuss the items - but there is enough here that may answer some questions (about replacement machines, fixing machines, etc...) but there are also some unanswered questions too...which sorta sucks. Anyway, I don't know if this is the right place...but it's directly related...and straight from the horses mouth (Frans van Houten -- Chief Executive Officer, Chairman of the Board of Management and the Executive Committee - Royal Philips NV (PHG)) This should give us plenty to discuss over the next week (or ten)!

Again, I know this is A LOT of info...but I believe it makes good reading by those directly (and indirectly affected).

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

********* If you want to reply to this thread or comments within, please don't reply to the ENTIRE post (it's HUGE, I know)
...you can cut/paste the specific areas you want to address in your reply.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
Last edited by JLROhio on Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 9 times in total.
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

JLROhio

Re: Philips - Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript Jul 26, 2021 - IMPORTANT Recall Information

Post by JLROhio » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:31 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Royal Philips NV (PHG) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript Jul 26, 2021

Frans van Houten -- Chief Executive Officer, Chairman of the Board of Management and the Executive Committee

Yeah, thanks. Hey, hello everyone and thank you for joining us today. I hope that you and your families are keeping safe and well. Let me upfront mention the upcoming field actions related to the component quality issue in our sleep apnea therapy devices that we announced back in June. Alright, I value to talk about that first, as you understand, because of the impact that it is having on patients as well as their well-being, which is at the heart of everything we do at Philips. I want you to know that we have mobilized the necessary resources across the Company to address this issue effectively, and I will come back later in this call with more details.

...Let me now speak about the planned field actions in Sleep and Respiratory Care. This is of course a major correction, and we take it very seriously. As mentioned, we have mobilized the necessary resources across the Company to address the issue. This is done due to possible risk of degradation of the sound abatement foam embedded in the devices. At the same time, we realize that the field action itself has temporarily also a significant impact to patients.

We are fully prepared to start with comprehensive repair and replacement actions for the affected units. We are still in discussions with the relevant regulatory authorities to obtain authorization to start deploying the repair kits and replacement devices that we are producing. For example, we have submitted the relevant applications to the FDA in June. We've already increased the overall production of DreamStation 1 and DreamStation 2 devices as well as repair kits from 30,000 units per week to 55,000 units per week as of the start of the third quarter. And we expect to reach 80,000 units per week in the fourth quarter, which underpins our expectation to address all devices in scope within 12 months of regulatory approval.

As a consequence of the prioritization of the repair and replace actions. We are currently not taking new orders for sleep therapy systems, while masks and other consumables, of course, continue to be sold. As a reference, before COVID-19, the annual revenue in our sleep business was close to EUR1.1 billion with approximately 60% from systems and 40% from masks and consumables.

In the longer term, we do not expect this issue to have a substantial impact on the fundamentals of our Sleep and Respiratory Care business, nor on the gross dynamics of this market. We have a market-leading innovative product portfolio in these businesses and continue to work closely and transparently with physicians, customers and patients to ensure that we address this issue as quickly as possible.

Following our voluntary field safety notice for which we have assumed a worst-case scenario, we are still conducting research and further tests to get insights, so that we are better able to scope possible patient risk. To be clear, we do not have data at this point such as preclinical or clinical study results, indicating that exposure to the particulates or emitted chemicals related to the sound abatement foam will lead to disease, while at this point we cannot exclude it either.

The various regulators around the world have made their own interpretation of the field safety notice in the data, also weighing the patient risks and benefits. As a result, we are seeing some variance in what regulators are advising patients in this matter. I would like to point you to the table in the investor presentation. As I know this is on your mind, I can say that some civil complaints and personal injury claims have been filed in courts against Philips. It is however far too early to draw any conclusion to talk about the merits of the claims or speculate about Philips' exposure.

In due course, we will be able to assess the merits of any claim and we intend to defend our position vigorously supported by the further test data that we are gathering. Obviously, the timelines that may apply to the handling of claims is not yet clear. I also want to talk about the broader context of quality across Philips. In the last few years, we have made strong progress in our quality culture and approach, improved design controls, improved post-market surveillance and improvements in the way that we handle corrective and preventative actions.

The effective products were designed and have been in full compliance with appropriate standards at the time of release and commercialization and the component issue was identified through our own post-market surveillance processes. Overall, the robustness of our processes has increased a lot. That doesn't mean, of course, that we are done, this journey remains a top priority for all of us at Philips. I want again to reiterate that patient well-being is at the heart of everything we do.

To round off, looking ahead, while we continue to see uncertainty related to the impact of COVID across the world and the impact of electronic component shortages, our overall financial guidance remains within the earlier guided range. I'm pleased with the progress that we're making on the strategic roadmap, as well as the strong performance momentum in all our businesses except for Sleep and Respiratory Care.

Questions and Answers:
Operator: Thank you, sir. [Operator Instructions]. The first question comes from Veronika Dubajova from Goldman Sachs. Please state your question.

Veronika Dubajova -- Goldman Sachs -- Analyst

Hi, guys. Good morning, and I hope you're doing well. Two questions from me, please. The first one just is just an update Frans, and when do you think you will get the Emergency Use Authorization in U.S. to commence the repairs?

And I guess, maybe if you can comment on some of the other major markets, and what the time frame is looking like at this stage for you to commence the works, that would be really helpful. And if you've had any feedback so far from the regulatory agencies on the repair process and their thoughts on that. Apologies, I know it's pretty broad, but it's a big theme of focus.

Frans van Houten -- Chief Executive Officer, Chairman of the Board of Management and the Executive Committee

Yeah, hi, Veronika. Good morning to you, and let me try to tell you as much as possible on all the ins and outs of the field action. And first of all, we have engaged with all the regulators around the world on the field safety notice, and it's interesting today observe differences in the risk-benefit interpretation that regulators didn't take, right. And that's why we have included the page that some regulators for inspection of -- guide for continued use while waiting for the repair and others point to the doctor.

Then on the repair procedures, let me point out that, there is multiple devices within the platform family of DreamStation 1. We have submitted multiple packages to the FDA for regulatory approval. That's so called 806 Form for the emergency field action. The FDA has engaged on these submissions, and we have already had several rounds of queries on those procedures which asks for more data and so on.

I cannot exactly predict when we get approval. I can only say that FDA is on top of it, and working very diligently. Let's say experience would show that kind of an eight-week approximate throughput time on an 806 could be expected. But that's out of prior experience, not necessarily related to this case.

In anticipation, we have already produced repair kits and we've also even placed stocks in bonded warehouses in a few countries in the world, so that we can move quickly out of the gate, alright? And, so we are all ready to go, alright? And I would expect that imminently, we should be able to give updates on that.

Does that answer your question on the upgrade process, Veronika, maybe let you react immediately on that?

No, that's really helpful. Thanks, Frans.

Excellent. Thank you, both. And Frans, if I can just quickly on the -- you sort of said, you've had some conversations with the FDA on the EUA. Just kind of curious anything surprising? I'm not familiar with how much back and forth happens on these things, but I'm just curious if you're hearing anything from them, that would make you less confident on that eight-week timeline for the EUA?

I think all the questions are completely understandable and legitimate, and I think they point to the complexity of this whole area around VOCs, right. I'm sure that we'll get other questions during these calls. But let's say, the FDA has asked us to provide data that the replacement material is safe and sound, right? I mean, if you boil it all down, then everybody wants to ensure that if you go out with a repair and replace action on a couple of million of devices, that you do that in the full knowledge that it is a sound -- is a good solution. I think that, in my own words, if I put it like that, it describes it. And so I think it is diligent and the only unfortunate thing is it takes time. And patients are wanting to get this dealt with as soon as possible because not using the therapy is also giving a lot of discomfort and harm.

Understood. Thank you, guys so much. Super helpful.

Operator

Our next question comes from Patrick Wood from Bank of America. Please state your question.

Patrick Wood -- Bank of America -- Analyst

Perfect. Thank you very much. I'll just ask the two upfront, if that's all right. So I guess, tediously on the Sleep side as well, just curious how the order book sort of developed through the quarter and the revenue line.

Obviously, thank you, Abhijit, for commenting around the Group numbers with and without Sleep. Sort of playing around with that, I get the sense that toward the end of the month, presumably the Sleep hardware business was down like 90% or something, but I could be wrong with my math. I'm just curious how that business developed during the quarter, and whether you think that reflects just purely the repair action or a little bit the kind of consumer anger I guess on the issue?

Abhijit Bhattacharya -- Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer

Yeah. No, overall, the Sleep business developed as we expected. Once we announced the repair action, then basically, we didn't sell any more of the systems, right? So the mask sales continued. Actually, mask sales were pretty good. So there, we don't have an issue. And normally, the Sleep Systems businesses toward the end of the quarter, bulk of the deals are done. So yes, you're right, Patrick, toward the end of the quarter, you really see the comparable decrease year-on-year. But not something that we were not expecting to happen. So no surprises there.

Yeah, and then Patrick on your second question, already several years ago, as we moved from a conglomerate organization with a holding model toward an operating company focused on health technology, we did change our Q&R organization. At that time, and think of it, I don't know exactly or recall it exactly, but think of it like five years ago, we moved the reporting line of all quality and regulatory people to the functional leader of Q&R, right?

So we have a Chief Medical Officer, we have a Chief Quality and Regulatory Officer and the Chief Quality and Regulatory Officer reports directly to me, alright? And all the resources, all 4,000 of them in the Company, functionally report into the head of Quality and Regulatory. So that's my first point.

Second point, the learnings out of previous audits, 483s and inspections have pointed to the need to strengthen what is called Post Market Surveillance, right, PMS. And here, we have made actually a ton of progress. We've also implemented a Companywide information system called Trackwise, where all complaints are registered -- and thanks to IT, can also be analyzed more easily, alright? Now we get a couple of million data points into that system per year, alright? So you need to do a lot of analytics.

The post-market surveillance process has led us to detect the issue at hand here, right? So remember, we have since inception sold more than 10 million, 12 million of these devices. We track complaints coming in. And then at some point in time, you notice that there is a pattern instead of just incidents, alright? So in the beginning you get one complaint here, one complaint there. It's not a pattern, it doesn't get recognized as a pattern. But as more recently, we detected it as a pattern. We did an additional investigations like you are expected to, and that led us to come out in Q1 -- in Q2 with the information that you know.

So this is something we detected through our own PMS processes
. And I would say that is to be expected from a HealthTech company and that process is working. Then you initiate your corrective and preventative actions, that leads to further insights, for example, around design controls and how robust these design controls are.

I think, and I claim that over the last several years we have made a ton of progress, right? That doesn't mean that the journey is over, but I feel good about how this will stand up to scrutiny, and for sure, we are anticipating that we will get regulatory investigations to please explain to us what exactly has happened. Also such a regulatory investigation is normal and should be expected with a field safety notice of this magnitude.

But, I think we are prepared for that. We -- I think with the -- to the best of our knowledge and integrity, we have acted in a way we should act. So therefore, I don't anticipate a need for a change of -- change of ways of working. And your specific point, how does information move? Well, we think that information gets reported up quickly and transparently in the Company. I have no other information at this time to assume the opposite to that. So, hopefully that helps you a bit.

Patrick Wood -- Bank of America -- Analyst

It does. Thank you for the commentary, guys.

Operator

The next question comes from Hassan Al-Wakeel from Barclays. Please state your question.

Hassan Al-Wakeel -- Barclays Capital Securities Ltd -- Analyst

Thanks for taking my questions. I have three please. Firstly, could you talk about current manufacturing capacity within Sleep, and where this sits relative to your 3.5 million installed base? What are the costs to increase capacity here?

Great questions as usual, Hassan. Well, let me first reiterate what I said about manufacturing capacity, and I mentioned that we are ramping up capacity for the replacement and repair actions from 30,000 to already 55,000 a week currently aiming at 80,000 by the beginning of the fourth quarter, right? And now if you multiply that times the number of weeks, then you get to somewhere between 3.5 million or 4 million units, alright, and hence, the 12 months expected throughput time on this.

We have not, let's say, specifically mentioned the cost of increasing capacity. But I would reassure you that, that is not the big issue here. We would be able to go faster if, from a supply constraint point of view we would get our hands on the scarce materials from some of our suppliers.

So we have been helping our suppliers with mould capacity, etc, so that they can ramp up faster. And if we see that they can go faster, then we aim to shorten the 12 months, right, if possible. It's too early to speculate on that, but certainly, that would be our aim because that's better for patients. But obviously, the sooner we can resume sales, that's better for our own business.

Maybe on the back of it, I would like to share with you the feedback that we have been getting from distributors and doctors. They all say that the manner in which we deal with this issue is more important than the issue itself, alright? They realize that a technical component issue can happen, but the way we deal with it is important. And so far, we have only been getting positive feedback in the way we have been able to handle it. Also, the supplemental clinical information that was provided to doctors in a couple of weeks ago, I assume that you have seen it, it was very much appreciated.

What we also hear is that nobody has appetite for a monopolistic market situation, and they expect Philips to be able to quickly recover its position in the market and resume, let's say, our strong preference. What doctors also point to is the strong analytical capacity of the -- of our systems, helping them to understand the trend line of patients, so the whole informatics part of our devices, and as they provide information to the doctors is quoted as a strength, alright? So we are under the conviction that we will regain our market position or at least close to, pretty fast after we are able to resume production for commercial purposes, and as said, we will do that as fast as possible.

Operator

The next question comes from Michael Jungling from Morgan Stanley. Please state your question.

Michael Jungling -- Morgan Stanley -- Analyst

Thank you, and good morning. I have two questions, please. Firstly on the recall, you highlighted in your slide deck that 2.2 million people have registered out of the 3.5 million machines. Do you know what proportion of those 2.2 million are in the U.S.? How many patients highlighted that they actually have an issue with the DreamStation 1?

And are you surprised that it's no higher than the 2.2 million at this stage? And then question number two is also on the recall, but really focused on the foam of the DreamStation 1. Was that foam FDA approved by the vendor who you sourced it from? And are you able to tell us who the manufacturer is of that foam? Thank you.

The 2.2 million registrations are more in the U.S. than the normal proportion of our business was, right? So over, what was it? [Speech Overlap] 65% of the expectedly affected devices are in U.S., but the proportion of registrations in the U.S. is higher. That's also because we were out of the gate faster with the patient engagement program and the network of DMEs is very strong in the U.S., whereas in some of the international markets, it takes a bit longer to reach people, but we expect that to catch up soon.

Obviously, most of the reports are with DS1 because that's by far the vast majority of devices affected. So unless I misunderstand your question, it's logical that the vast majority of these registrations are DS1 users. On the foam, I value to state that when the product DS1 was released, it was tested against all the standards in place, including VOC standards at that time, right? And the product, of course, met all those standards. Otherwise, it would never have been released.

The foam has been used for over ten years, and we never had any issue with it. Whether the manufacturer itself had its own approvals, I am over asked here at this moment. But I repeat that we have been using this foam for ten years in DreamStation 1 and prior generations and never had issues with it.

Okay. Thanks, Frans. Can I follow-up on the question that I asked about, of the 2.2 million patients who have registered, have you been able to collect data to see what the issue is, why they have filed or to register?

We are still doing analytics on that database. The -- so I cannot give you more data than that. We have just done the first pass of analytics to take out duplicates, because that was the first issue that we needed to deal with. And now we are mapping it on registrations and when the products were produced and so on, I prefer to do a thorough job on analytics before I answer your question.

Okay. And Frans, you didn't answer the question about who the foam manufacturer is? Can you highlight that, please? Could you mention that?

Yes, I realized that I didn't answer that. But -- so I'm not going to answer that.

Okay, thank you.

Operator

The next question comes from Kate Kalashnikova from Citi. Please state your question.

Kate Kalashnikova -- Citi -- Analyst

Hello, this is Kate Kalashnikova from Citi. I've got three questions on Sleep, I'm afraid. So firstly, Philips supplemental information sheet sent to doctors in July, it mentioned cytotoxicity was noted for the extraction concentration. And also the two genotoxicity assays showed a positive mutagenic response. What chemicals specifically is the document referring to? Because the chemical specifically mentioned in the release, such as CG, CGI and GEG, they're not proven carcinogens in humans. So it would be very helpful if you could clarify that.

And secondly, Philips changed the sound abatement foam in DreamStation 2 to silicon. Why have you made the decision if there are no safety risks identified or PE-PUR foam in DreamStation 1? And finally, what proportion of patients normally start sleep therapy and then discontinue perhaps even while in their first sleep device? And what proportion of users in the U.S. regularly use ozone cleaner? Thank you.

Wow. Hi, Kate. The -- with regards to the characterization of the volatile organic compounds, that is a very complex matter and the supplemental information that we refer to indeed mentioned several gases, and we also observe that some people have misinterpreted the type of gases and therefore, took a more, let's say, serious interpretation than perhaps was justified.

We have also request of the regulators started a slate of additional tests to further characterize what gases are to be determined, and to how to characterize them. I can tell you that we have not detected TDI or TDA in those samples that were tested in the lab, alright? But as I said, further research is ongoing.

Now, with regards to the change of the foam from DreamStation 1 to DreamStation 2, you may recall that in June 2018, a new standard was published that had, let's say, heightened or different requirements on VOCs than the previous standard. The new standard did have a grandfather clause for existing equipment, and therefore, products that were already being produced in the past that were approved in past did not have to be retested against the new standard. Of course, that is provided that you don't have data and insights that your device would not be safe.

I can tell you that at the time of the release of that standard and -- that we did not have, in fact, the complaint rates coming out of our post-market surveillance, and therefore, we did not initiate a design change of the DS 1 at the time because there was no reason to, right?

And let's say, routinely in the medical device industry, you are faced with new standards being applied to new generations of products, and you're not going to retrofit old systems because that would be an impossible task, alright? You only do that when there is a safety concern, and as I said, when this new standard came out, we did not have that. And therefore, the grandfather clause in the standard of June 2018 applied.

Then the proportion of people using ozone cleaning is, of course, we don't know that exactly, but we can tell you that aggressive marketing has taken place even to the extent that the FDA issued their own warning in the beginning of 2020. Now, if we look at the correlation, or let's say, when did we start seeing complaints coming in United States, then the vast majority of the complaints are in 2020, right, and therefore -- and also geography-wise, we can, let's say, correlate to the regions where ozone cleaning was marketed more strongly. So that is where we stand.

Obviously, as we -- to the question of Michael as we get more data from the registration, we will be able to do more analytics and then maybe, Kate, we can come back to your question in due course.

Thanks for that. Just to clarify your answer to the first question. If you hopefully saw the TDA and TDI, they're not detected in the test done to date. DEG won't detect it, but it's not cytotoxic. So what chemicals is responsible for the potential -- reported potential cytotoxicity, if not TDI, TDA, and given that DEG is not cytotoxic. I'm just trying to understand if you can help us with this, it will be very helpful.

I am now getting assistance here from Steve [Phonetic].

Steve

Hi. We need to further identify those compounds. So this was done on lab degraded foams, so that the foam was not, let's say, aged in the field. We artificially aged it to simulate the degradation. And then we did an extraction and we analyzed all the compounds in there. We could detect diethylene glycol. We -- there were a number of unidentified compounds that they are now further investigating, but we did not detect TDI or TDA.

Okay.

Operator

The next question comes from... [Speech Overlap]

So let's say, rounding it up, Kate, I think it is way too early to conclude that you know the gases have really a severe health impact. We took a worst case approach back in April and June, because that is what is expected from, let's say, a responsible manufacturer, right?

If you don't know all the finite consequence, you go out first with a reasonably worst case scenario and then as data becomes available later, you can always reduce that rating, right. But it's -- that's what we need to do according to our own quality management system, alright?

And the supplemental, medical information already, let's say, gave a more balanced view on it, that was appreciated, and the further tests that we are conducting on a far bigger sample and also on aged -- normally and naturally aged products, will also determine whether the VOCs are more initially coming out of the machine, when they are coming from the production line or whether in the installed base, this is still an issue, alright?

I think this is one of the critical questions to answer, whether patients are really exposed to VOCs or not. So -- but taking a reasonably worst-case approach is, I think, the responsible way to go about it, and then we'll deal with the further information as it comes.

Thank you very much, Frans. And just very briefly, if I may, have you got any data that shows how ozone is accelerating foam degradation?

Yeah, that we do. We have tested that, and we see a 40 times factor of acceleration of degradation when ozone is being used. And that's on an average use of ozone cleaning. And if people do that every day, of course, it goes even faster, right? But the acceleration factor caused by ozone cleaning is very, very significant, right? And otherwise, we would not call it out. It's a very aggressive cleaning method that should not be used on medical devices at all.

Operator

The next question comes from Scott Bardo from Berenberg. Please state your question.

Scott Bardo -- Berenberg -- Analyst

Yeah, thanks very much guys. Sorry, again to focus on the Sleep and Respiratory business, please. Frans, you mentioned a lot of volatile organic compounds and I understand why. I think this is potentially the bigger consideration as compared to a particular matter. The MHRA, in the UK, conducted the biological safety assessment and highlighted that they did not see any volatile organic compounds of concern after 24 hours, suggesting that this was a first out-of-the-box usage issue rather than something that was sort of sustainable over a prolonged period. I wonder if you could confirm in your initial safety assessment and clinical studies, whether you would agree with that observation, please.

Second question, please, Frans. I wonder if you could provide a little bit more details about how you intend to repair and replace. Can you give us some sort of split between repair and replacement? And does the alter between geographies, perhaps give us some sense of what you expect the profit impact as a result of no sales for CPAP devices to be for Philips, including mitigating factors.

And last question, please. Frans, you seem confident and pleased to hear about the ability to remediate this issue within 12 months or so. Am I right in saying then Frans, there is no reason at this point to deter from your 2022 provisional outlook for, say, 5%, 6% topline growth, 60 basis points to 80 basis points margin expansion? Thank you.

Yeah, brilliant questions, Scott. Let me indeed cover them. Look, the MHRA test in the UK is very encouraging. And as I said, we have taken an initial worst case approach to it, because in the lab tests, our resident lab -- well not resident, but our partner that does the tests for our Sleep and Respiratory Care business, this is where we discovered the VOCs, and that's on a relatively small sample size, right?

And on that basis, we took the action, all right, because we could not do otherwise, right? We have found those gases in those -- in that limited sample, and consequently, we took a reasonable worst case approach. I told you that we have initiated a much wider sample testing, but also we've asked multiple labs to do the testing, because you know, we want to know the repeatability of the test in different test environments to exclude that potentially this one lab has a different approach, right. So all of that is still in the making.

Now you may say, why does it take so long? Well, these tests run for multiple weeks and then on multiple devices, and then all the molecules need to be characterized and measured for the, let's say, of the qualification. In a way that frustrates me as well, and because I would like to do this much faster and much better.

Steve, also just mentioned that in the initial tests, we have taken an accelerated aging approach, which these are also message that you -- that regulators will challenge us on too, say, maybe you should also consider other simulation environments. So in a way, it doesn't surprise me that if you -- in the UK, this sample test was done, and I find it encouraging that no VOCs were found, right?

But as I have not seen the raw data of the test, me not personally, of course, but our specialists, we cannot just draw conclusions on such a high level statement. We need to go into the reads of that assessment. But, rest assured that we're throwing all our analytics capacity to this, because clearly we need to characterize the risks and hopefully also come to insights that the worst-case approach was indeed what the word says worst-case.

Then, the repair and replace split, when we built the provision on the basis of our estimates of repair and replace, we assumed approximately 60-40.

Abhijit Bhattacharya -- Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer

Two-thirds/one-third.

Thank you, Abhijit. Two-thirds/one-thirds of replace versus repair, right? And part of the 806 approval that we need from the FDA relates to the repair procedure and not just to the repair material, right? The repair procedure needs to demonstrate that after repair, you have a safe machine, right? So you can imagine that the amount of work that you need to do on a repair action is also to validate that after the repair, the machine is good to use.

And if you give the machine back to the original user, the standard there is lower than if you give a repair machine to a different patient, right? So all of this goes to the complexity of the repair process. And if we are optimistic, and then all our proposals on the repair procedure will work out and then the proportion of repair can actually go up, right? And we have also heard from DMEs, the distributors, that they actually prefer repair over replace in many instances. And you can imagine, I mean, you can make your own interpretation why they want that, but I think it's quite obvious.

And then, the revenue impact, so we are dedicating our production capacity in Sleep to the repair and replace action, right? And that takes also then into account this assumed proportion of repair and replace of: replace, two-thirds; repair one-third. If we can go faster there, of course, that would be helpful.

But for now, we have taken into account that we would lose the revenue for at least 12 months after the start of the field action. And Abhijit has, I think, at some point already said that, or we have said that the Sleep business is EUR1.1 billion, of which approximately 60% is systems and 40% is masks and consumables.

So then you can do your math and take out the 60% of the systems as lost revenue. Then -- and of course, we compensate that lost revenue by strength in our other businesses. On your last question, we believe that in 2022, we can maintain our Capital Market Day guidance of 5% to 6% revenue growth and 60 basis points to 80 basis points of profit expansion.

Scott Bardo -- Berenberg -- Analyst

Very fair answer. Thanks, Frans.

You're welcome.

Operator

The next question comes from Wim Gille from ABN ODDO. Please state your question.

Wim Gille -- ABN AMRO-ODDO BHF -- Analyst

Hi. Good morning. This is Wim Gille from ABN AMRO-ODDO. I got two questions. ....

And as a follow-up there, the ozone is clearly a part of the problem, the ozone cleaning. Is there a case to start legal action against the companies that have marketed ozone cleaning and try to recoup some of the costs that you are incurring for this thing?

bhijit Bhattacharya -- Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer

I can take all of them. So the provision, as Frans mentioned, we've taken two-thirds/one-third on a repair/replacement basis. So, and in that, we have not included any provision for legal cases, right, so we are not able to estimate that, so we cannot take any reasonable estimate at this stage.

In addition to this, there are multiple other costs, a big chunk of that pertains to the whole communication cost as well as the follow-up and managing the database that will cost us a lot of money. There is of course, within each of those categories, there is material cost, there is labor cost and all of that. So it's quite an extensive calculation, but does not include any cost taken for legal claims.

And then on the question of the ozone manufacturers, really not this time in place to discuss our legal actions, maybe somewhere in the future, when we have studied it more and we know more of the details.

Wim Gille -- ABN AMRO-ODDO BHF -- Analyst

Thank you very much.

Operator

Unfortunately, we only have time left for one more question. The last question comes from Sezgi Ozener from HSBC. Please state your question.

Sezgi Ozener -- HSBC -- Analyst

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to taking my question. My question relates to, again, the first batches of repair and replacement kits that were shipped or already shipped out. As we're still waiting for the EUA to be approved, which material was used? And are you able to estimate a cost based on the replacement and repair cost in these devices? And how do these compare to the EUR500 million roughly of provisions that you've set aside?

And my second question is about a few of -- we saw a few positive one-offs this quarter, like a remeasurement of environmental liabilities and the favorable result in legal matters. I was just going to ask if you could elaborate a little bit on those. Thank you.

Yeah, hi. Good morning. With regards to your first question, I'm afraid you may be reading too much into the first batches of repair kits that were shipped. I called it bonded warehouse because it's an extension of the Pittsburgh facilities in a foreign location. That is the only way to do it under the regulations. And we are obviously not kind of measuring cost on a per batch basis. I mean, that would go too far, but -- and certainly, have no intention to disclose the cost of every batch of repair kits. So, sorry I can't do much with your first question.

Yeah. Thanks very much everybody. Look, I fully appreciate the concern around all the open issues. I want to assure you that we are on top of it, as we take all the appropriate actions to deal with the patient situation as fast as we can. In the meantime, the business goes on, right? There is a lot of resilience in our other businesses, and that's also why we can maintain our guidance, and we look with optimism to the future.

I thank you very much for staying with us and covering us. Have a great day.

* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.

--

SleepyCPAP

Re: *** Philips - Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript Jul 26, 2021 - IMPORTANT Recall Information ***

Post by SleepyCPAP » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:07 am

Wow, thanks so much for digging through the transcripts.
The delay in the switch to silicone foam makes better sense - regulations changed on VOCs in 2018, but the DreamStation1 was grandfathered. Ozone cleaning spikes due to heavy promotion after that. Warnings from FDA about Ozone cleaners comes out 2020. Dreamstation2 designed after new regulations, so has the new foam.
I am glad to hear they have stocked repair kits in warehouses ready for when FDA approval takes place. I hope the eight weeks estimate is correct for the timeline of approval, because that means this month.
Again thanks. Great sleuthing!
-SleepyCPAP

-- SleepyCPAP
Sleep study in 2010 (11cm CPAP). Pillows (Swift FX>TAP PAP >Bleep). PRS1 “Pro” 450/460 until recall, now Aircurve 10 VAuto. Tape mouth. Palatal Prolapse solved by AlaxoStent & VAuto EPAP 4cm, PS 3.6cm = 0.0 AHI

JLROhio

Re: *** Philips - Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript Jul 26, 2021 - IMPORTANT Recall Information ***

Post by JLROhio » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:58 pm

...on the other side of the house is ResMed.

ResMed held their earning call on Aug 5th...
Transcript here ---> https://seekingalpha.com/article/444579 ... transcript

Here are some snippets from that earnings call and how ResMed addressed the Philips recall, the supply chain issues, and even comments about the ResMed AirSense 11.

---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

Mick Farrell

Thanks, Amy, and thank you to all of our shareholders for joining us today as we review result of our June quarter, the fourth quarter of our fiscal year 2021. On today's call, I'll provide a high-level overview of our financial results as well as review progress towards ResMed's 2025 strategic goals. I will discuss execution highlights against our top three strategic priorities and our urgent and ongoing actions to address current industry supply chain issues and opportunities. I'll then hand the call over to Brett for further detail on our financial results.

Let me start with the situation that has generated many stakeholder questions in the last month and half. During the quarter, demand for ResMed's Sleep and Respiratory Care devices surged dramatically after our competitors recall announcement, putting additional pressure on an already challenging environment for our industry's supply chain.

Global supply chain limitations including a shortage of electronic components, as well as ongoing freight constraints and costs are impacting our ability to respond to the unprecedented increase in demand for ResMed products. Executive teams across automotive, consumer product and communications technology industries have confirmed on their recent earnings calls that they are struggling with the same issues.

Some major producers have suggested the chip and electronic components shortages could extend 12 or even 18 months. We are working incredibly closely with our global supply chain partners to ensure access to additional supply of the critical components that we need to further increase production of our medical devices.

During this June quarter, the demand spike was so high that we have been forced to allocate products due to the unprecedented demand and these real world supply chain capacity constraints. In doing so, our guiding principles are very simple. We are focused on the highest acuity patient needs first. It's very similar to our approach to ventilator allocation during the peaks of the COVID crisis these last 18 months.

We will continue to coordinate with all of our stakeholders as the situation develops, and we begin to open up the supply constraints. We understand this is a frustrating situation for all of our customer groups, including physicians, home medical equipment providers, payers, and most importantly the ultimate customer, the patient.

It is a unique time in our industry, with steady recovery of patient flow after COVID-19 peaks in various countries. With these global supply chain constraints and with an unforeseen competitor recall, all occurring simultaneously. I want to be clear that through it all our priority will always be patients, doing our best to help those who need treatment for sleep apnea, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and other respiratory diseases. Our goal is to ensure that patients get the therapy that they need and when they need it.

Let me be very clear about a couple of things. One, ResMed sleep apnea and respiratory care devices are safe to use. They are the best in the market. They are the smallest, the quietest, the most comfortable and the most connected therapies. And Positive Airway Pressure therapy remains the gold standard for the treatment of sleep apnea.

And two, ResMed will not be able to fill the entire supply gap that has been created by this situation caused by a competitor just 7 weeks ago. They were the number two player to our number one leading market position in almost all of the 140 countries that we compete in worldwide.

We're doing everything that we can to partner further and further up our supply chain in order to increase our access to the supply of the past, the pieces and the components that we need to manufacture at scale. We expect to be in a somewhat supply chain constrained environment throughout fiscal year 2022.

This news from our competitor was only released to the market on June 14. So we are in the first 7.5 weeks of our response. However, we have already partnered with our global supply chain team both internal and external. And although we expect the current quarter and the December 2021 quarter will be the most supply constrained. We do see room for expansion of supply ahead. We expect that the flow of ResMed products will accelerate significantly during the March 2022 and the June 2022 quarters.

Importantly, we see a clear opportunity to increase our long-term sustainable market share, as patients, physicians and providers experience our ResMed market leading device and integrated cloud-based software solutions. Our experience over the last 7 plus years since we launched our online platform called Air Solutions at scale is that when providers adopt and embrace our suite of digital health solutions, they can lower their own labor costs by over 50%. They can drive their own patient adherence rates up to over 87% and beyond. After doing that, they don't want to go back to an inferior solution. And yes, during the near distant future, we will be starting the full product launch of our brand new next-generation platform called AirSense 11.

We have over 16.5 million patients enrolled in our cloud-based AirView software solution for physicians. And we recently upgraded our patient engagement tool called myAir. This app is now cloud native and serverless in the cloud. This new myAir 2.0 release supports our next-generation platform called AirSense 11.

The AirSense 11 platform comes to the market with new capabilities with improved data delivery, with scalable architecture, and with support for full cycle teams. And what that all means is that we have the opportunity for accelerated innovation in our ecosystem.

Last quarter, we previewed our next gen platform called AirSense 11. Responding to the current industry situation, our market leading research and development team accelerated the launch of the AirSense 11. First, by expanding the control product launch to additional customers just this last month. And second by moving to an earlier full product launch date. We now expect to launch in the United States before the end of this current quarter, and then to other countries gradually over time.

This AirSense 11 device launch will be a device launch like no other in the history of ResMed. Previously we carefully timed new product platform launches to minimize the selling overlap of device platforms. We are in a unique situation today. Our market leading AirSense 10 continues to be very strongly adopted, and we believe that it is better than any other device currently on the market.

In short, it makes sense to continue to sell the AirSense 10 at Skype, particularly as this will help maximize the overall CPAP, IPAP and bilevel volume available for our customers for sale given the unprecedented demand for new patients to receive ResMed devices in the market right now.

The bottom line is that we're going to be selling both the AirSense 10 and the AirSense 11 in parallel for quite some time, as we meet this extraordinary market demand over the coming fiscal year. And as we continue to expand the availability of AirSense 11 to new markets and new geographies around the ResMed world.

We are very excited to bring the AirSense 11 to market, and I am understating the results when I say that the response to our control product launch has been very positive. AirSense 11 benefits patients and bed partners and the device and software platform combination will also benefit physicians, providers, payers and overall health care systems.

As I said earlier, we make the smallest, the quietest and the smartest and the most comfortable devices on the market. But they are also the most connected and the most clever devices. All AirSense 11 devices are 100% cloud connectable with upgraded digital health technology to increase patient engagement and inherence to improve clinical outcomes and to deliver proven cost reductions within our customers own health care systems, engaging patients directly in their own digital therapy like never before in the industry.

With that, I'll hand the call over to Brett in Sydney and then we will go to Q&A with the whole team. Brett, over to you.

Brett Sandercock

As I mentioned before, during the June quarter, one of our competitors announced a product recall on certain sleep and respiratory devices, which in turn has resulted in significantly increased demand for our devices. We estimate that we generate an incremental device revenue of approximately $60 million to $70 million in the June quarter due to our competitors recall.

However, while we are working hard to increase capacity, we will not be able to meet all the expected demand resulting from our products -- compared from our competitors recall, primarily because of supply constraints for electronic components. And we expect these constraints to be more limiting in the first half of FY '22 than the second half. As Mick mentioned, we believe component supply constraints as they stand will currently limit incremental device revenue attributable to our competitors recall to somewhere between $300 million and $350 million during fiscal year '22.

Question-and-Answer Session

Operator

Thank you, Amy. [Operator Instructions] Your first question comes from John Deakin-Bell with Citigroup. Pleased proceed with your question.

John Deakin-Bell

Thanks very much. My question was just around the likely mix going forward. You've talked about that $300 million to $350 million impact from the recall, but we noticed quite a big difference in the growth rates in the U.S versus rest of the world in the quarter for devices. Can you just give us a feel for, firstly, why there was such a difference in the U.S versus the rest of the world for the quarter? And then going forward, how you think that mix might look in FY '22?

Mick Farrell

Yes, thanks for the question, John. And, yes, look, it's really exciting to be able to provide $300 million to $350 million in incremental revenue for our shareholders, but devices for much needed patients out there over the coming fiscal year. And we actually we hope to get better than that as we look for more parts and pieces and components. That's our current forecast.

Look, just breaking down the device numbers for the quarter, really strong device numbers for the U.S., at plus 30%. That was off the comp. If you remember this time a year-ago where sleep devices were way down and ventilators were picking up in the U.S., I think it was around plus 1% the comp, and so huge turnaround there plus 30% in this last quarter. And then in EMEA, Asia and rest of world this time last year, we had plus 35% growth because we had really strong ventilator sales, particularly to some Asia Pacific regions in their COVID crisis. And so that combo plus 35% was being analyzed, and we saw a minus 6% for EMEA, Asia and rest of world. So it's a combination, John of multiple factors of COVID for both those sort of regions, U.S., Canada, Latin America, plus 30% versus EMEA, Asia and rest of world lapping a plus 30% at their minus 6%.

So as we project for the $300 million to $350 million, I think that's probably the most guidance we've ever given around an opportunity like this. I'm not going to split that by region, or by type or by area. But I can tell you, its supply chain constrained, not demand constrained. And everyone in all the 140 countries wants ResMed products. And everyone we make we sell and we are doing everything we can to drive more and more elements in our supply chain, wherever that bottleneck is in supply, whatever that part or pieces. I personally as the CEO, I'm calling up that supplier and talking to their CEO and saying, look, this component can go into a cell phone or a car, or it can go into a medical device that literally gives someone the gift of breathe. Please prioritize our part of the supply chain, and it's been working those last 7 weeks. We've been able to match $300 million to $350 million in additional revenue. And our goal is to continue every week, every month to do better and better on that.

Operator

Your next question comes from Sean Laaman with Morgan Stanley. Please proceed with your question

Sean Laaman

Thank you, and good morning, Mick and team. Mick, my question relates to the commonality between components of the various devices. Is that -- is there a lot of commonality between the S 10 and S 11 platform. So therefore, the challenges of the same with respect to sourcing and does the 3x increase to capacity from your competitor compound [indiscernible] the picture for you? Thanks, Mick.

Mick Farrell

Yes, Sean, two very good questions and very much related. Yes, I think there is some overlap of some of the parts and pieces between the AirSense 10 and the AirSense 11 platform. It's 7 years newer in the market. And so there's a lot of upgraded electronic, mechanical, plastic and digital health technology in the device. And so there's a lot of new components as well. And there is demand from our competitor out there trying to cover their recall amount as well as catch up with the patients that need urgent replacements. We're not seeing as much of the latter, though. We have a supply chain that have some overlaps with some of our competitors, but actually very individually designed. And as we work through the supply chains, the whole medical device industry is a very small percentage point of the suppliers total capacity, which is great for us in that. We're not fighting for limited share versus a competitor, we're really fighting for share versus a large consumer phone company or automobile company and the suppliers, like medical devices, because firstly, we're relatively recession resistant. We don't suddenly stop our sales during the recession, as some people do in consumer purchases and automotive, and we're usually high margin for them. So -- and more sustainable growth in terms of what we're doing for our platforms. The AirSense 10 has been in the market for 7 years. And so these are long-term sustainable for them. So our arguments are very good with the supply chain. And that's why in the last 7 weeks, we've been able to identify that extra $300 million to $350 million in opportunity. But there is some commonality between our devices. And we will make those trade-offs and that's why we will provide both AirSense 10 and AirSense 11. But the AirSense 11 is a huge leap forward to the industry and our goal will be country-by-country to roll that out. But, yes, for the next 6, 12 months, there's going to be a lot of selling both the fantastic AirSense 10 and the amazing AirSense 11 in parallel in countries around the world.

Operator

Your next question comes from Sean Laaman with Morgan Stanley. Please proceed with your question

Sean Laaman

Thank you, and good morning, Mick and team. Mick, my question relates to the commonality between components of the various devices. Is that -- is there a lot of commonality between the S 10 and S 11 platform. So therefore, the challenges of the same with respect to sourcing and does the 3x increase to capacity from your competitor compound [indiscernible] the picture for you? Thanks, Mick.

Mick Farrell

Yes, Sean, two very good questions and very much related. Yes, I think there is some overlap of some of the parts and pieces between the AirSense 10 and the AirSense 11 platform. It's 7 years newer in the market. And so there's a lot of upgraded electronic, mechanical, plastic and digital health technology in the device. And so there's a lot of new components as well. And there is demand from our competitor out there trying to cover their recall amount as well as catch up with the patients that need urgent replacements. We're not seeing as much of the latter, though. We have a supply chain that have some overlaps with some of our competitors, but actually very individually designed. And as we work through the supply chains, the whole medical device industry is a very small percentage point of the suppliers total capacity, which is great for us in that. We're not fighting for limited share versus a competitor, we're really fighting for share versus a large consumer phone company or automobile company and the suppliers, like medical devices, because firstly, we're relatively recession resistant. We don't suddenly stop our sales during the recession, as some people do in consumer purchases and automotive, and we're usually high margin for them. So -- and more sustainable growth in terms of what we're doing for our platforms. The AirSense 10 has been in the market for 7 years. And so these are long-term sustainable for them. So our arguments are very good with the supply chain. And that's why in the last 7 weeks, we've been able to identify that extra $300 million to $350 million in opportunity. But there is some commonality between our devices. And we will make those trade-offs and that's why we will provide both AirSense 10 and AirSense 11. But the AirSense 11 is a huge leap forward to the industry and our goal will be country-by-country to roll that out. But, yes, for the next 6, 12 months, there's going to be a lot of selling both the fantastic AirSense 10 and the amazing AirSense 11 in parallel in countries around the world.

Operator

Next question comes from David Low with JPMorgan. Please proceed with your question.

David Low

Thanks. Thanks very much for taking my question. Just wanted to meet on mass resupplied, we had load or I had worried that with the recall that we might see a lot of patients stop using their device, particularly given that was the advice. And that would have a flow on effect to everyone's resupply programs. Now we can see the numbers today and then [multiple speakers] growth, obviously, it's not matching up with device sales growth by any means. And I know there's a lot of factors in that. But just wonder if you could talk to that risk and what your expectations are on that front, please.

Mick Farrell

Yes, David, there was some confusion after the June 14 announcement, but I think many of the regulatory authorities and many of the clinician groups came out pretty quickly to say, let's talk to you doctor and work out a risk pathway between now and when you get that replacement device from that competitor. And also, for new patients, the doctors and certainly all of us in the industry we're very focused on the safe and effective therapies from ResMed and other players in the market. And so I think that that messaging was actually pretty quickly put out there by those physician societies and relevant health authorities after somewhat confusing announcements, right on that June 14 from our competitor. And so long-term, there's been some impacts that are quite beneficial in patients making that trade off. And certainly for us, you saw plus 5% growth in masks in the quarter for the U.S., ...

--

Thumper1947

Re: ** Philips - Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript 7/26/21 - IMPORTANT Recall Information ** (Updated w/ResMed Earnings C

Post by Thumper1947 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:41 am

JLR,
Thank you for posting this. I read it all and found it really informative.
Thumper
Mask: Dreamware FF
Machine: Resmed Autosense 10 APAP

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: ** Philips - Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript 7/26/21 - IMPORTANT Recall Information ** (Updated w/ResMed Earnings C

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:57 am

Again, no mention of the elephant in the room . . .
The fact that Respironics chooses to make data unreadable by the patient is insane.
As a patient who relies on data to control my diabetes, I need it for my sleep as well.
No way will I allow myself to be "put in a corner".
Respironics has lost any chance of MY future business!

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:53 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:57 am
The fact that Respironics chooses to make data unreadable by the patient is insane.
As a patient who relies on data to control my diabetes, I need it for my sleep as well.
I don’t think these reporters really understand things beyond an inch below the surface (ex OMG - Recall announcement ) when it comes to these companies that they cover.

you bring up a great point… And would be a great question for one of these reporters to ask at the earnings call… Seeing as it is definitely an issue among the customer base… At least some of the customers here.

The reporters above should be easily accessible through their websites… If only a user amongst us would be willing to write up a summary of the issue going forward… And then provided that to the reporter… One could then hope, their education of one of these reporters to a legit issue would help seek an answer from the company itself…and the impact that it is going to have on future customer purchases

Again, these reporters only know so much… If they were to come here and research the CPAP community, they would learn so much more… But they are not going to come here to do their research and due diligence… But again, this does not prevent one of us from typing up a great summary and sending it off to all of these reporters… Who will then have ammunition and questions to ask the executives during the next quarterly earnings call.

Reminds me of that scene, “sometimes you can lead a horse to water…“

--

ger365

Post by ger365 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:58 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:57 am
I agree CF think there maybe something in the data that would give away problems. That is above my pay grade of what it is...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:32 am

If Respironic chooses not to serve the actual consumer,
they may find themselves in a different place in the market.
Or out of it entirely.
I'd cross my fingers, but uh, you know--webs.